Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  TOP THIS!!! Slot Topper Topic!
| | |-+  Please help me get my Suzo Happ Polygon topper to light up.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please help me get my Suzo Happ Polygon topper to light up.  (Read 19591 times)
2pacman
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: September 23, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

Hello!  I am new here and was hoping someone could give me a hand getting my topper to light up.  I have a Suzo Happ Polygonal Topper, i think it is a 2008 model.  I downloaded the current manual, and it's not quite the same wiring as what i have.  I have 3 bare wires coming off the topper, a red wire, a black with red stripes, and an orange wire.  From what i've been reading, i'm assuming the red and black wires take the 12 VDC 3Amp power.  And the orange would be 25 VDC (but i don't have a corresponding black wire for it.  There is also a molex connector with 6 wires coming out, which i assume are for the light tower at the top.  All the wires feed into one large molex connector that is thread through the base.  I took the connector out of the base so i could take pictures.  I bought a computer power supply that is 12 VDC 3 Amps and hooked it up to the red and black wires and nothing happened.  What should i try next?  Here are some pictures if that will help any.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

* 0921131527.jpg (747.89 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 335 times.)

* 0921131526.jpg (793.77 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 341 times.)
2pacman

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

More pics:

* 0921131528a.jpg (593.39 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 333 times.)

* 0921131527a.jpg (460.52 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 288 times.)
2pacman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »

One more pic:

* 0921131528.jpg (434.52 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 279 times.)
Laura S

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

Please email me directly at laura.sadowski@suzohapp.com

I can send you the new wiring diagram.

Regards,

Laura
2pacman

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

OK, thanks to Laura i got the schematic for the topper.

I ran the 12 VDC to the correct wires and still nothing happened.  Im at a loss as to what to do at this point.  Is there someone who fixes these things or someone i could send this to in order to have it looked at?  Everything looks brand new, even smells new, the circuit board has no signs of burning or blown components or anything.  Just not sure what i'm doing wrong.
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

You didn't tell us what kind of machine you are trying to put this on, so we don't even know if we can help you. If you bought the topper used, do you even know if it was working? Slot toppers are wired for the brand of machine that it is intended for. I am not sure what Suzo says about this one (or what brands it is compatible with).  Q

If you are just trying to get it to light up as like a wall hanger, then not sure this is the place for help....we're slot junkies more than electricians.

2pacman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

I did buy it used untested, the guy thought it worked the last time he had it hooked up, but I guess I can't be 100% sure.   I'm not trying to hook it up to any particular slot machine, eventually I want to mount it on top of an arcade game, but my goal is to run it via a transformer/wall outlet.  Looks like quite a few people power their toppers this way and seems like the easiest way to do it.   The specs say the rainbow outer light takes 12VDC 3Amps to run them and 25VDC to get the back ground lights to work.  I don't have a 25VDC source, but I did find a 25V 3Amp transformer from an old computer I am using.  I stripped the wires, found the positive and negative.  Connected the positive to the red wire and the negative to the black (ground) wire of the topper.  Plugged it in and nothing happened.  I tested the voltage, I'm getting slightly over 12 volts  from the transformer, so that seems to be good.

Again, the thing looks brand new, but I can't be 100% sure if it is in working condition or not.  Is there anything else I can do or try to see if it works?   Or is it a giant paperweight at this point?  I'd be more than happy to mail it to someone that is more knowledgeable than me about these sorts of things if someone wants to take a crack at it.  Seems like I've got it wired correctly, but not completely sure.
2pacman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »

Well, i made a little progress, i got the candle light to work.  So i know i'm getting 12V out of the power supply.  So maybe the circuitry that runs the rainbow track is broken, hard to tell.

The backlight takes 25V.  Where are people getting transformers with that much voltage?  I can't find anything, about 17 volts is the highest i can find.  I noticed someone hooked 2 transformers up in a series to get 25 volts.  Are there any tutorials on how to do this exactly?  I thought if i could at least get the backlight to work, it'd be better than nothing.

Once again, if someone wants me to send this to them to take a crack at it, i'd be more than happy to do so.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »

the old    IT WORKED LAST TIME I TRYED IT  Silly Me!
2pacman

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

the old    IT WORKED LAST TIME I TRYED IT  Silly Me!

Yeah i know, i know....i figured i'd take a chance on it Smiley
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »

Well, i made a little progress, i got the candle light to work.  So i know i'm getting 12V out of the power supply.  So maybe the circuitry that runs the rainbow track is broken, hard to tell.

The backlight takes 25V.  Where are people getting transformers with that much voltage?  I can't find anything, about 17 volts is the highest i can find.  I noticed someone hooked 2 transformers up in a series to get 25 volts.  Are there any tutorials on how to do this exactly?  I thought if i could at least get the backlight to work, it'd be better than nothing.

Once again, if someone wants me to send this to them to take a crack at it, i'd be more than happy to do so.

Here is some info on paralleling two 12V adapters. I would use two regulated adapters.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=94.msg418#msg418

Ron (r273)
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »

If it's 24 volts DC, you can just use a ticket printer power supply, they are easy enough to get.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
CommTech
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »

Well, i made a little progress, i got the candle light to work.  So i know i'm getting 12V out of the power supply.  So maybe the circuitry that runs the rainbow track is broken, hard to tell.

The backlight takes 25V.  Where are people getting transformers with that much voltage?  I can't find anything, about 17 volts is the highest i can find.  I noticed someone hooked 2 transformers up in a series to get 25 volts.  Are there any tutorials on how to do this exactly?  I thought if i could at least get the backlight to work, it'd be better than nothing.

By the looks of those heat sinks on the back light LED's, your going to need a 24 volt supply capable of enough current to light them.  

You will need at least a 12 volt 5 AMP supply for the main controller board.  A supply rated at 3 amps will not supply enough current to maintain a continuous 3 amp supply.

I have no knowledge of these toppers but ...
If you want to email me the schematic you have, I would be happy to try and help you figure it out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:50:27 PM by CommTech » Logged
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »

Lets start by confirming that you are applying power on the correct wires. 

To Power the Ring light, you will need 12 Volts Positive on the RED wire.  The Ground wire is YELLOW.

To Power the Back light, you will need 24 Volts Positive on the BLACK wire.  The Ground wire is the same YELLOW wire as before.
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 99

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »

Commtech, I think you nailed it. It made sense to him/her for red+ and black-. Good catch
2pacman

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »

OK, so i hooked up a 24V transformer to the black and yellow.  And hooked up a 12V transformer to the red and yellow.

The backlights came on, so that was good!  But smoke started coming out of the wire connector to the PCB where the 12 volt was connected.  I removed it immediately and smelled a strong burning odor.  The rainbow chaser lights never did come on.  There doesn't appear to be any burn evidence on the PCB, the chaser light boards and wires all seem cool, it was only warm near the connector where the red and yellow wire hooked up to the main board.  I double and triple checked my connections, tried a few more times very quickly (before it could start to smoke again) and still nothing happened other than heat around the pcb connector.

I tested the transformer, i'm getting a good 12V current from it, had the wires hooked up correctly.  The 12v tranformer worked fine when lighting the tower light.  The transformer is rated at 3 amps.

Not sure what to do at this point, if i'm SOL or what.  Right now the backlights work, and the tower lamp works.  The only thing i can't get going is the rainbow chaser lights that run off the 12V.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:30:57 PM by 2pacman » Logged
PEGASUS
Resigned NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

Oh boy,  I know smoke is not good--- no Burning Resistor ouch.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »

OK, so i hooked up a 24V transformer to the black and yellow.  And hooked up a 12V transformer to the red and yellow.

The backlights came on, so that was good!  But smoke started coming out of the wire connector to the PCB where the 12 volt was connected.  I removed it immediately and smelled a strong burning odor.  The rainbow chaser lights never did come on.  There doesn't appear to be any burn evidence on the PCB, the chaser light boards and wires all seem cool, it was only warm near the connector where the red and yellow wire hooked up to the main board.  I double and triple checked my connections, tried a few more times very quickly (before it could start to smoke again) and still nothing happened other than heat around the pcb connector.

I tested the transformer, i'm getting a good 12V current from it, had the wires hooked up correctly.  The 12v tranformer worked fine when lighting the tower light.  The transformer is rated at 3 amps.

Not sure what to do at this point, if i'm SOL or what.  Right now the backlights work, and the tower lamp works.  The only thing i can't get going is the rainbow chaser lights that run off the 12V.  Any ideas?

When you say "Transformer", I hope you are referring to a DC power supply and not an actual transformer.  Transformers have AC output and would burn up your circuit boards. 
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »

Seeing the first picture you posted. The red and yellow power the ring control board. Are you sure you put + to red and - to yellow. I would make sense to me if the board was already blown it would have done nothing. With what you are describing sounds like polarity reversed. Maybe suzo has replacement boards for that topper. I am thinking the polygon was discontinued, but not sure.
PEGASUS
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »

We have about 40 of those toppers.  Have not tested them all yet.  Like everything else in a busy day and night something I want to get around to doing.  I think I have some parts toppers also as they may have a crack in the plastic,etc. 
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

+1 (Karma, or whatever) for Pegasus. Sounds like a parts helper for you.
PEGASUS
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »

+1 (Karma, or whatever) for Pegasus. Sounds like a parts helper for you.
Thanks, I also gave the pacman member a +1 for the smoke and headache to maybey make them feel better.
2pacman

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »

Yeah, i made sure the positive was going to the red and the negative to the yellow wire.    And yes, perhaps my terminology was incorrect, but i'm using a wall wart (DC power supply) and not an actual transformer.  I did buy it 'as is' so i suppose there's a chance the thing was broken to begin with, i'm really not sure.  

Pegasus, would you have an extra pcb board from one of your parts polygon toppers you could spare?  Or would you be willing to test mine to see what is going on?  Since you have the same polygon topper, i could send you just the PCB and i don't think it'd cost very much to ship.
PEGASUS
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »

Yeah, i made sure the positive was going to the red and the negative to the yellow wire.    And yes, perhaps my terminology was incorrect, but i'm using a wall wart (DC power supply) and not an actual transformer.  I did buy it 'as is' so i suppose there's a chance the thing was broken to begin with, i'm really not sure. 

Pegasus, would you have an extra pcb board from one of your parts polygon toppers you could spare?  Or would you be willing to test mine to see what is going on?  Since you have the same polygon topper, i could send you just the PCB and i don't think it'd cost very much to ship.
We can work something out.  Very busy this weekend but I should have any part,componet are even a BRAND NEW one of these if need be.  (whole topper).  I will pm you when ready to figure out what you want.  Thanks
2pacman

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »

Yeah, i made sure the positive was going to the red and the negative to the yellow wire.    And yes, perhaps my terminology was incorrect, but i'm using a wall wart (DC power supply) and not an actual transformer.  I did buy it 'as is' so i suppose there's a chance the thing was broken to begin with, i'm really not sure. 

Pegasus, would you have an extra pcb board from one of your parts polygon toppers you could spare?  Or would you be willing to test mine to see what is going on?  Since you have the same polygon topper, i could send you just the PCB and i don't think it'd cost very much to ship.
We can work something out.  Very busy this weekend but I should have any part,componet are even a BRAND NEW one of these if need be.  (whole topper).  I will pm you when ready to figure out what you want.  Thanks

Ok great!  Yeah whenever you get some time to go through what you have, that'd be great.  I'd like to see if we can work something out.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.