Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 05:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Other Reel Games
| | |-+  Looking for an antique machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for an antique machine  (Read 6140 times)
danw
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: May 05, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »

A close friend of mine that doesn't know much about slots has been dying to get his hands on a Jennings Indian quarter machine. Does anyone know where to get one other than eBay? He's been checking every auction locally, but I told him to let me ask the group first. I would rather see him buy from here than somewhere else...
reho33
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »

Sin City Slots is a member here, Private Message him

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
SinCitySlots
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 01:35:45 AM »

Sin City Slots is a member here, Private Message him

Thanks for the referral my friend.

A close friend of mine that doesn't know much about slots has been dying to get his hands on a Jennings Indian quarter machine. Does anyone know where to get one other than eBay? He's been checking every auction locally, but I told him to let me ask the group first. I would rather see him buy from here than somewhere else...

First let me say that I am not a dealer, like a lot of the members here on NLH, I'm just a hobbyist and collector.

Is your friend looking for a mechanical machine or an Electromechanical machine?
The Jennings Sun Chief is a very collectable machine and the current market value reflects that.
Beware of fakes and counterfeit machines!

I do have a number of Bally Electromechanical slot machines and usually have one or two that could be for sale.

I am currently working on a purchase deal that includes a Jennings Chief Electromechanical machine.
If I complete the purchase I will most likely sell the Chief that is included with the collection.
If your friend is looking for the 100% mechanical Sun Chief then I do have a couple sources for you to look into.

It will also be helpful if I knew what your friend has budgeted for his purchase.
You are welcome to email me to discuss further.

If I can help or you have questions just let me know.
Best luck with your search, just be cautious with your selection.

SinCitySlots
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:15:34 AM »

As a follow-up.....

Fakes and counterfeits usually are sold as "restored" and look nice because the castings are new reproductions and the glass may not be original. In many cases the reel carriage is not original either.

An original in original in unrestored good condition will sell for $2200-$3000
An original with a quality restoration using original Jennings parts can sell $3,500-$5,000

The machines with original Chief castings and original front lighted glass panels are hard to come by.
The castings are usually pitted and the glass can have small flea bite chips along the edges or even cracks and larger visible chips missing.
These items are reproduced and devalue the machine (and are many times sold as "original").
The problem with restoring the original castings is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE and there are reletively few plating shops qualified to replate and polish. Many times the casting is pitted so badly they require plasma spraying prior to plating, which also drives the price up for a quality restoration.

The Sun Chief is a very unique looking machine and when restored they could be considered a true art deco piece.
If your friend is just looking to fulfill a specific "look" for a display piece then perhaps a replica will suit his needs. As long as he understands that it will have uncertain future value and most collectors avoid replica machines because of the dubious origin.

There is always the story of the lucky "barn find" or someone selling for less than market value because they are unaware of the true value or it is simple a distress sale for personal reasons.
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 02:46:49 AM »

I think the most "duped" machines are  the ones that have "Golden Nugget" on them. I do like the Sun Chief, very nice. Of course it will be a while before I have that...............

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
SinCitySlots
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:44 AM »

I think the most "duped" machines are  the ones that have "Golden Nugget" on them.

You are correct, Sir
With the Mills War Eagle coming in a close second place.

And many uneducated buyers are paying up to $2,200 for these counterfeit machines. 
An original restoration can be purchased for the same, or slightly more, and will retain value and has the potential to increase over time. Originals always have the best potential to protect your investment 

When a buyer of a fake recognizes the mistake they made has only 3 choices:
- keep the machine and enjoy it for what it is
- sell it at a loss with an honest description of it being a reproduction
- sell it as "restored" without disclosing the true nature of the restoration

Caveat Emptor
There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there.
Due diligence is a necessity when buying.
- this is not limited to our hobby only
Life is a constant lesson to be learned.
- hopefully the education will not be too costly and the lessons will not have to be repeated
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 03:25:41 AM »

Thanks for the referral my friend.

You are correct, Sir
... machines.     ...  investment 

Okay, I have to ask. What are these?  
I've tried copying them into a hex editor, Word, and other programs, and can't retrieve the value of the character.

Don't mean to  Hijack the thread. You can pm me with the uni code value (or the font and value) if you have it.

Thanks. wave

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
reho33
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »

I think that is called "digital decay" LOL

StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:34:11 AM »

Does everyone see what I'm seeing? I know that that is not always the case. For example, if we post with a font that others don't have installed on their computers, we see the fancy font on our screens but everyone else just sees plain text. I used to use fancy fonts back on the old site until I discovered that there was no point.

I'm seeing a box with two hex values stacked inside: "E1" over "2F"  Scratch Head

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
SinCitySlots
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:47:01 AM »

Does everyone see what I'm seeing? I know that that is not always the case. For example, if we post with a font that others don't have installed on their computers, we see the fancy font on our screens but everyone else just sees plain text. I used to use fancy fonts back on the old site until I discovered that there was no point.

I'm seeing a box with two hex values stacked inside: "E1" over "2F"  Scratch Head

LOL!
My bad....

I travel for my job and currently I'm away from computer access.
- all I have is an iPhone

Probably as Stat describes.....
Icon only decrypted by Apple products or possibly limited to a specific iPhone version.

My appologies, for future use of icons I'll insert an appropriate icon from the Smiley selection available here
StatFreak

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 04:02:51 AM »

LOL!
My bad....

I travel for my job and currently I'm away from computer access.
- all I have is an iPhone

Probably as Stat describes.....
Icon only decrypted by Apple products or possibly limited to a specific iPhone version.

My appologies, for future use of icons I'll insert an appropriate icon from the Smiley selection available here

Ah!  IC -- It's related to fruit deficiency fruit and iSight problems. Sherlock Smiley  That explains it. I'll have to go to the grocer and stop by the optometrist tomorrow.. Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Back to the thread in progress:

As SinCitySlots said, there are a lot of counterfeit mechanical slot machines on the market. It is always best to buy from a respected dealer unless you really know how to spot the fakes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:09:01 AM by StatFreak » Logged

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 05:09:53 AM »

http://www.ibuyoldslots.com/ReproArticle.html

I don't remember who posted this, but I thought at the time it was worth saving.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
SinCitySlots
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »

Dave (I Buy Old Slots) has a great website that is focused on antique coin-op machines.
His video archive is very informative.
The membership @   http://coinopcollectorforum.com  (also maintained by Dave) is a valuable resource for anyone that has interest in the old mechanical machines.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »

I know where such a machine is located and it is for sale. Its a Jennings Sun Chief, 25 cent,chrome plated front (not back lit panels) Indian Head mounted in front center of casting. Panel that was mounted above castings where coin is inserted is a plain piece of  white plexiglass. Don't know what should have been  there as an original. Does not have original back door, (I could be wrong because I never saw an original back door)  machine does work, needs some cleaning and lub. First reel locks up as soon as machine is "kicked off".  also noted coin entry was loose, if it was tightened to the casting the Quarter would not advance down to the input of the escalator.   asking  1800.00  as-is.    could provide pictures,  machine is located in Columbus,Ohio

Jim   

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.