Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Other Reel Games
| | |-+  School me: Barcrest Reel Poker
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: School me: Barcrest Reel Poker  (Read 6187 times)
pookdolie
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: February 02, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just picked up this machine locally. Any knowledge you have about this game would be appreciated. Some questions I have about it:

*What exact year was it made?
*The MPU4: what shoud I know about it? Looks like it uses a cartridge? Any battery to worry about?
*Is there a way to disconnect the hopper motor and still get the credits to function properly?
*Any dip switch settings which would allow for free play? (I doubt it.)
*Is there a service mode where I can play around with settings?
*Anyone have a manual?
*I'll post a couple more I post pictures.

Apologies for the pics with the bad lighting. The machine seems to work 100%, both lights and mechanicals. The cabinet is rough at the bottom, some of the metal parts are pitted, there's some scratching on glass pieces, but otherwise it presents well. It's pretty addictive.

If you have a similar machine and have questions for me, feel free to post them and I'll take a closer look at the game.

* ReelFullFront.jpg (128.78 KB, 519x389 - viewed 384 times.)
pookdolie

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »

The counter below and the "BET ONE" button look like they were added later by someone. When you win and the hopper engages, you get credits in this window rather than coins. The button allows you to bet the credits.

* CounterFront2.jpg (155.78 KB, 389x519 - viewed 318 times.)

* CounterFront.jpg (112.1 KB, 389x519 - viewed 341 times.)
pookdolie

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »

Here's that MP4 module, and also a picture of the "cart" (?) plugged into it.

It says "American Reel Poker" on the module. Is that simply the title of the game, or does that mean this particular machine was made for the American market rather than shipped over after a life in the UK?

* MPU4.jpg (123.69 KB, 519x389 - viewed 389 times.)

* ReelPokerCart.jpg (105.52 KB, 519x389 - viewed 352 times.)
pookdolie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »

Dip switches, some of the custom counter module, and the rest of the inside.

* DipSwitchList.jpg (131.14 KB, 519x389 - viewed 755 times.)

* ReelPokerInside1.jpg (168.81 KB, 389x519 - viewed 375 times.)
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:49:40 AM »

Welcome to the Forum!...Glad to see my machine get around...I am the one that got this machine to work and built the custom credit counter for it...I had a lot of fun with this machine ...It is very unique and rare...Not much info on it...I might have some notes somewhere in my garage...Hope you have fun with it
Jimmy
pookdolie

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »

Welcome to the Forum!...Glad to see my machine get around...I am the one that got this machine to work and built the custom credit counter for it...I had a lot of fun with this machine ...It is very unique and rare...Not much info on it...I might have some notes somewhere in my garage...Hope you have fun with it
Jimmy

Well, talk about having an expert around on this thing. Smiley

That counter works great, and really makes the machine fun. Nice job on this!

Where'd you acquire the machine from? Was it non-working when you got it? Any input on the other questions? Thanks for chiming in...
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »

The style of the machine's cabinet appears to be UK. Probably made there for the American market. Just a guess...
pookdolie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »

The style of the machine's cabinet appears to be UK. Probably made there for the American market. Just a guess...

Funny enough, Barcrest now looks to be owned by IGT...
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »

Wife's call me to diner...I will get back with you tomorrow...
Jimmy
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »

Wife's call me to diner...I will get back with you tomorrow...
Jimmy
turkey
 rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao
 WIFE!!! WIFE!!! WIFE!!! Spank

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »

Good Morning....OK now...First these machines are sometimes called "Fruit Machines"....As far as the MPU4 module, here is a little info for you...

The MPU4 contains a large non-volatile memory which is able to retain its data when the supply is interrupted. This permits the status of credit and other game aspects to be preserved. Additionally sophisticated metering, data logging and facilities like "Linewriter" can easily and economically be provided.
To ensure the integrity of the data especially in sensitive areas such as credit or winnings, parity checking is employed.
If an error is detected then the data is reset to zero.
In the case when the memory requires to be cleared, for example of unwanted credit the following procedure should be followed:
i)    Switch machine on with door switches closed.
ii)    Open a door switch.
iii)    Switch machine off.
iv)    Close door switch(es).
v)    Switch machine on. Credit should read zero.

Some parts of the memory cannot normally be cleared, for example long term metering locations. These can only be reset to zero by running a special "Memory Clear" program module in the MPU4. All machines and spare units have this program run before dispatched from the factory.

I believe it used a hopper like this one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/May-Gay-Fruit-Machine-Hopper-/230918665998?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item35c3d3370e

When I got the machine, there was no hopper in it and every time you won it would try to spit out coins (which without the hopper was not possible) so it would go into a tilt mode and you would have to reset the machine...I solved this by adding the credit mod.

Being the machine originally accepted two types of English currency, it was easier to convert it to US quarters for both slots and use the machine as a credit only-no payout except credits...

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them for you...It has been awhile since I worked and played with the game...Enjoy it is very unique!...
I also have a manual that is use for this machine...If interested, PM me...

pookdolie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:31 AM »

Good Morning....OK now...First these machines are sometimes called "Fruit Machines"....As far as the MPU4 module, here is a little info for you...

The MPU4 contains a large non-volatile memory which is able to retain its data when the supply is interrupted. This permits the status of credit and other game aspects to be preserved. Additionally sophisticated metering, data logging and facilities like "Linewriter" can easily and economically be provided.
To ensure the integrity of the data especially in sensitive areas such as credit or winnings, parity checking is employed.
If an error is detected then the data is reset to zero.
In the case when the memory requires to be cleared, for example of unwanted credit the following procedure should be followed:
i)    Switch machine on with door switches closed.
ii)    Open a door switch.
iii)    Switch machine off.
iv)    Close door switch(es).
v)    Switch machine on. Credit should read zero.

Some parts of the memory cannot normally be cleared, for example long term metering locations. These can only be reset to zero by running a special "Memory Clear" program module in the MPU4. All machines and spare units have this program run before dispatched from the factory.

I believe it used a hopper like this one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/May-Gay-Fruit-Machine-Hopper-/230918665998?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item35c3d3370e

When I got the machine, there was no hopper in it and every time you won it would try to spit out coins (which without the hopper was not possible) so it would go into a tilt mode and you would have to reset the machine...I solved this by adding the credit mod.

Being the machine originally accepted two types of English currency, it was easier to convert it to US quarters for both slots and use the machine as a credit only-no payout except credits...

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them for you...It has been awhile since I worked and played with the game...Enjoy it is very unique!...
I also have a manual that is use for this machine...If interested, PM me...

Great info! I'm lucky to get the background on this machine. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

I'll definitely be interested in the manual...
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

Moved to Reel Slots/ "Other Reel Games" board.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.