Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Other Reel Games
| | |-+  Aristocrat Mechanical Slot Lighting Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aristocrat Mechanical Slot Lighting Question  (Read 2289 times)
FilthyRich
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: February 08, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »

I have a ~1966 three reeler Aristocrat mechanical machine with butchered lighting. Fittings show there should be two fluoros. The ballast reads "twin 8 watt" and works fine when wired up to power one fluoro. It doesn't matter which one, both work, but it won't power both at the same time when they are wired in parallel. Which has led me to investigating whether they should be wired in series. I attach a diagram of how I think they should be wired up when in series but I am a little stumped concerning the size of the capacitor across the power supply (or if in fact this is how it should be wired)
Does anyone have any ideas?

* WiredInSeries.txt (1.06 KB - downloaded 168 times.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:03:35 PM by FilthyRich » Logged
Op-Bell
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 326

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:01 AM »

They should be wired in series, since if you wire them in parallel, the first one to strike pulls the voltage too low for the other to strike and both tubes will never come on together. However, a 110V supply is a bit too low to run a pair in series. My guess is this was originally a British or Australian 220V machine, which would have been wired in series, and the previous owner butchered it when the lights didn't work. Your best bet is a separate ballast for each light.

The capacitor doesn't matter for small loads like this. It's for the power company's benefit, not yours.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.