Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Other Reel Games
| | |-+  Need help with Jennings 400 Problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with Jennings 400 Problem  (Read 3502 times)
ucanwin
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

Interested in trade stimulators and slots

« on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »

I have a problem with a Jennings 400 5 coin, 5 line machine.
Here's the problem.... With the machine reset....Coin or coins in, pull handle, reels spin and stop properly, if payout.....pays out. Next attempt to put coins in.....will register only 1 coin, no more, pull handle, reels spin and stop normally, but reel motor continues to run and will not stop. If the board is pulled out and reinserted, you get one good play, and then, same as above. I have another working board, and it works fine. So, I know that it's a main board problem not the relay on the board behind the hopper.  I am not an electronic wizard, so I don't know how to locate the problem component. If I did, I can replace it. Boy, am I smart, or what? Ha!
Can anybody help an old, old man, with a lot of senior moments?????
Thanks.
Jerry

* Jennings 400.jpg (123.79 KB, 750x1050 - viewed 436 times.)
ramegoom
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 40

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:54 AM »

On the connector board (behind the reels) there are either two solid-state relays, or a PC board with TRIACS on it (I have both styles on two different -400 series machines). One of those controls the reel motor. The component may be defective, i.e. when it turns on, it won't turn off. If it's the TRIAC problem, look at the opto isolator that drives it; those tend to fail quicker than the TRIAC. If it's the SSR, you'd need to replace the entire module.

I'm kind of new to these as well. learning as I go.
ucanwin

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I believe that I have eliminated the board behind the hopper that controls the reels and the hopper.
I have a spare main board. When I put it into the machine, everything is all good, ha! So, I know that the problem lies somewhere on the main board, but I just don't know where to look yet. I am not good at electronics, but I can replace components if I knew what to replace.
Best regards,
Jerry
ramegoom
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »

I recently found a problem and had a similar issue as the OP. The main board battery had leaked, and the acid leached thru the edge connector, onto the backplane board receptacle. Had to replace both backplane sockets, problem went away. Another problem I have discovered is the hopper connector that mates with the hopper. Those corrode and also lose their spring tension, causing erratic performance. Only fix is to replace them. At least those are still available, but you need to remove a terminal and drill the hole out to fit with the aligning post on the hopper end.
ucanwin

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

Thanks, for the tips. I think that I can eliminate the backplane board receptacle as part of the problem as my replacement board works fine. The problem is for sure on the main board. I'll have to look for the acid damage that you mentioned. Maybe there's a diode problem somewhere. I just haven't had time to dig into it. However, I would like to get that board fixed so I have a spare after I sell this machine. There is always one of those 400's that comes back to haunt after a while and a spare board can fix a headache.
The hopper connections have been a problem on almost all of the 400 Jennings machines that I have had. Usually, if you kind of move them around a little they will work OK. I know that is not a proper fix, but there are always other problems that are more pressing to take care of it seems.
Have a Happy Easter, and thanks again for the tips.
Jerry
ramegoom
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »

This might help you find the culprit:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.