Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 10:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Alpha Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Alpha Power Supplies - fans ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alpha Power Supplies - fans ?  (Read 4780 times)
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 79

« on: November 25, 2012, 04:59:36 AM »

My alpha has two power supplies on the lower left of the bottom cabinet, each has two fans, each only has one fan running...is that normal? is the second fan temp controlled and kicks in when needed or do I have two bad fans?   Scratch Head Scratch Head Anyone know for sure??
mvco
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »

I should be able to tell you in about a week when I have a couple to compare to.

Tim, congrats, was just on another slot forum, and there were many threads about American Original being people favorite Bally.  Man, did you ever score.
Want to trade kits in a year, then we both get a "new game"?
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »

Possibility in a year...I love the game..lots of action!! It is running around 132% payback right now because it was just ram cleared and have only run a few thousand thru it. I have it set to 95%. I was worried because I read a lot of reports that the game was boring and never hit..What an opposite !! I put $200 in it last night and played for 3 hours and still have $150 on machine. hit the bonus round at least 10 times and got 50 free games and 100 free games twice, if you saw the post on thanksgiving I even hit the progressive once already !!  far from boring...

but was wondering about those fans..not that I need any more running...machine has 11 fans total !!! Turn it on and it sucks the room in  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing  I bought it from Jim at Bettor non-shopped but fully tested, great product and GREAT guy to work with !! You might pay a few extra bucks with him, but the product and support you get are second to none !! I have bought a lot of machines and delt with a lot of the suppliers.....none of them even get close! to what you get with Jim and his product... no no
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Possibility in a year...I love the game..lots of action!! It is running around 132% payback right now because it was just ram cleared and have only run a few thousand thru it. I have it set to 95%. I was worried because I read a lot of reports that the game was boring and never hit..What an opposite !! I put $200 in it last night and played for 3 hours and still have $150 on machine. hit the bonus round at least 10 times and got 50 free games and 100 free games twice, if you saw the post on thanksgiving I even hit the progressive once already !!  far from boring...

but was wondering about those fans..not that I need any more running...machine has 11 fans total !!! Turn it on and it sucks the room in  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing  I bought it from Jim at Bettor non-shopped but fully tested, great product and GREAT guy to work with !! You might pay a few extra bucks with him, but the product and support you get are second to none !! I have bought a lot of machines and delt with a lot of the suppliers.....none of them even get close! to what you get with Jim and his product... no no

Agree with Post

Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

ttth  It's my opinion that the Alphas are OVER exhausted.  I just went and tried counting them all...I got bored and stopped counting at 10...there may be more.  One in the top box, one on the LCD, 3 on the computer board, 1 super turbo fan on the mid box, and 4 for the power supplies.  Are 10+ fans really necessary? Either Bally bought interest in a fan company or the engineer laid this out during their Christmas party one year and went unchecked by there costs engineer.  You can compare this machine to other similar designs by other manufacturers and they all run great on 3 fans.  If I get one running fan on the power supply I am happy and do not worry about it.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »

ttth  It's my opinion that the Alphas are OVER exhausted.  I just went and tried counting them all...I got bored and stopped counting at 10...there may be more.  One in the top box, one on the LCD, 3 on the computer board, 1 super turbo fan on the mid box, and 4 for the power supplies.  Are 10+ fans really necessary? Either Bally bought interest in a fan company or the engineer laid this out during their Christmas party one year and went unchecked by there costs engineer.  You can compare this machine to other similar designs by other manufacturers and they all run great on 3 fans.  If I get one running fan on the power supply I am happy and do not worry about it.

4 on the MPU, two on the chip heat sink and 2 on the atx power supply intake and exhaust. That is your missing one..
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

LOL....like I said...I got bored and stopped counting.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »

LOL....like I said...I got bored and stopped counting.

I unplugged the one under the candle/topper. It made it a whole lot quieter and with it being on top and heat rising, the top box does not get hot. The LCD has a fan and keeps the air moving and stays cool. I don't think it will be an issue as the lower cabinet has about a six inch fan pilling air as well and the top box has vents to the lower cabinet as well. That way it does not sound like I am playing a vacuum cleaner.
mvco
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 41

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »

Speaking of fans, I normally disconnect them.  For our use, they are turned on for a maximum of two hours, usually only an hour.  It's not like they are running 24 hours a day at home as they would be in commercial operation. 

With some power supplies, or at least on our more modern arcade games, the fans are controlled by the computer, and cycle on and off as needed so not constantly running.  that could be the case with yours.  I guess if you leave it on for a day, you should expect to see them run.
If they are shot, like Jim said, one is plenty anyway, especially for home use.
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »

My alpha has two power supplies on the lower left of the bottom cabinet, each has two fans, each only has one fan running...is that normal? is the second fan temp controlled and kicks in when needed or do I have two bad fans?   Scratch Head Scratch Head Anyone know for sure??

Answer is all the fans should run, tested them and two are locked up solid. Replacement supplies all run.
lindam1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 168

When you're out of Quarters, You're done.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »

Power supply fans should run all the time. If you can turn them with your finger you can CAREFULLY peel back the sticker and put a drop of 3 in1 oil on the bearing and free it up and it should run for 3 to 6 months or more. You can also find just about any fan you need at MCM Electronics or if you have an Acc. with Evertek.

If it ain't broke....Stop trying to fix it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.