Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Alpha Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Bally Alpha Reels Dropping Out
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally Alpha Reels Dropping Out  (Read 8615 times)
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 31

« on: October 20, 2013, 01:59:46 PM »

I am looking for some help with my Alpha reel game that when the reels spin some times, like every other spin, the reels will drop out, meaning they will stop spinning and I have to open and close the door to reset. I will get one or two spins and they will drop out again. Thanks. Bill.
harp
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 46

Always on the road

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »

Bill are you getting any error messages when this happens, specific reel# tilt, or something else

You can always check the Event Log to see what is happening
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »

Just a reels not configured error message, but I did configure the reels. Bill.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »

This can be the result of several things, but most prevalent for me is a faulty USB cable (the one that runs from the front of the board to the back plane behind the reels) so try replacing it with a known good one.  Also make make sure the USB controller board is fully seated ant that's its controller eprom is fully seated.  Finally make sure the 3 harness plugs from the reels are fully seated in the back plane behind the reels.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:27:37 PM by Bettor Slots » Logged

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

make sure you have right game card in
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

I will check out the USB cable this week, that really makes sense, and I'll let you know. Thanks. Bill.
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »

Does it matter what USB port to plug into on the reel backplane board? There are three of them to choose from. Bill.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

Logic says it shouldn't matter however I just checked a couple of machines and it went to the middle port.

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »

Thank you. Bill.
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

I tried swapping out USB cables and that did not help. I also did another clear but the reels just keep dropping out. I get a couple of plays until they drop out.  Scratch Head Bill.
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »

Because the game works, then goes out, tells you that your software is not the problem and clearing it again and again is doing nothing for you.  Its apparent that you have a short that begins at the reel controller boards and goes all the way back to the main computer board.  The problem can be anything in-between and can be tricky to find.  When I have time late tonight I will type up the procedure we follow to determine the problem.  Key to the fix however in this case is to have a 100% working machine of the same type side by side with this one....so get one ready if you don't already.

keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »

I thought by replacing all three reel boards to try and track the problem down would work but no luck. I am thinking the upper backplane board so I am going to try that next. I just feel like there is a communication drop out somewhere. I still get three or four spins and the reels drop. Bill.
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

Bill, did you find problem? I changed a working 5 reel to 3 reel & have the same problem.
Ford
idylewild1
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 140

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

Take a flash light and check all the reel cables for a pushed pin where the reels connect. I had one that was pushed back and making intermittently contact causing the same problem. Hope this helps.

FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »

Take a flash light and check all the reel cables for a pushed pin where the reels connect. I had one that was pushed back and making intermittently contact causing the same problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I pulled all wires & checked all plugs. All look OK. Started up & same thing.
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »

Thanks to Coorslight for sending me this. Took 6 more times of clearing & setting up to get it to work.
Phantom reels?

There is a known problem on the S9 and S9E stepper machines when converting from a 5R to 3R or vice versa.  We have nicknamed the problem 'Phantom Reels'.  Basically what is occurring after switching out hardware and you complete a full clear of its memory, the machine is still retaining memory on the USB controller board about it's previous setup, either 5R or 3R.  As a result, for example, when booting a converted 5R machine to a 3R setup, the game software is driving 3R information while the USB board is driving 5R information.  What happens is that some or all of the reels go haywire, jig jagging up and down or continuing to spin when they should have stopped after credit setup in the menu after a clear.  This continues even after you complete your entire setup in the menu or even trying to calibrate the reels under game diagnostics.  To fix the problem what you need to do is after your first full clear and complete setup, touch "return to game" and close the door.  Just allow the reels to do whatever they want and let the error codes pop up on screen.  After that, turn the machine completely off and do a full clear a second time.  Do a complete setup of all parameters a second time, and for a second time return to game.  The problem may be resolved at this time, but if not, repeat the process a third or fourth time if necessary."
keystone9
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »

I don't know how many times I walked away from this problem so I am going to try this approach. Thanks. Bill.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.