Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Alpha Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Question on Alpha startup
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on Alpha startup  (Read 14037 times)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

Jim(BettorSlots) is correct about going backwards with the OS for a faster boot.I was running AVO 336-04 and went back to AVO 316-07.MUCH faster boot and MUCH easier to set up the progressives for Black Gold QH.The newer OS's for reel games are just overkill IMO.

What bios chip are you using?
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 99

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

I know about S2000 visions with NJ version chips taking forever to boot. Is it a version chip on these Alpha's responsible for it too? Is it as simple to change as on the S2000? 12 - 15 minutes booting is just crazy.
SlotFreak
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 18

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

i have a S2000 vision with a NJ ver chip in it and mine takes about 4 minutes to boot up.
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:02 PM »

Mine had the NJ and took 9 to 12 minutes to boot. Changed version and now 2 min. 15 seconds or less.
laneman
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 55

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »

Jim(BettorSlots) is correct about going backwards with the OS for a faster boot.I was running AVO 336-04 and went back to AVO 316-07.MUCH faster boot and MUCH easier to set up the progressives for Black Gold QH.The newer OS's for reel games are just overkill IMO.

What bios chip are you using?

AVBBPD-307

Cut my boot time in half.
CommTech
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »

Wow...maybe were over thinking this while thing. Sounds like a bunch if us are doing it a bunch of different ways....yet, we see no more PS failures in any one particular group!!! I might have to fly the BS flag on the left to right, right it left, 1-2-3, 3-2-1 thing!

Mod: Can we get a BS flag please....I do believe it would be particularly useful in some posts...

If I were to guess, I would say the reason for the power up order has more to do with the port detection when the CPU powers up.  If you power up the CPU before the rest of the machine, it may not properly detect an active com port or monitor resulting in an error upon boot.  I have not tested this theory so I don't know if that is correct or not.
I have the delayed start relay circuit that allows me to keep everything on and use a  power strip.  Works great.
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

delayed start relay circuit ??? Please explain so I understand. Still learning and not ashamed to admit it. My first 9000.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »

delayed start relay circuit ??? Please explain so I understand. Still learning and not ashamed to admit it. My first 9000.

See Reply 14 of this thread ... http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=22202.0

777sizzler
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 19

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

There are various diff. methods that all suit diff. people.  The correct method has been posted here.   The other methods have been posted here.  Since I worked for Bally gaming for a while,  My method was stated.  Been cleaning out since no longer needed as it just takes up space.  Trashcan  was so heavy could not get half of them to the road, along with 4-tons of other things -(waiting on a dumpster).  "the manual" .   Statements here are purely opinion,  some are based on facts, trial and error, and Bullshit.  I did not see any BS in this post about this topic.  Thanks.

* 100_1545.JPG (1547.74 KB, 3409x2475 - viewed 374 times.)
CVslots
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:33 AM »

There are various diff. methods that all suit diff. people.  The correct method has been posted here.   The other methods have been posted here.  Since I worked for Bally gaming for a while,  My method was stated.  Been cleaning out since no longer needed as it just takes up space.  Trashcan  was so heavy could not get half of them to the road, along with 4-tons of other things -(waiting on a dumpster).  "the manual" .   Statements here are purely opinion,  some are based on facts, trial and error, and Bullshit.  I did not see any BS in this post about this topic.  Thanks.

Oh wow, you worked for Bally? When they were developing the Alpha or was it other platforms? Please! Tell us more!  yes  What Bally facility were you at? Cool!

therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »

Talked to Coors. He stopped the delay switch and is doing the 3 switch sequence
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »

Talked to Coors. He stopped the delay switch and is doing the 3 switch sequence

What was the reason?  Scratch Head
therockinelvis
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

Here is his quote " I stopped because the timer relays I used had a high failure rate. I believe in the three switch method . I get boot errors sometimes when turning on all at once. And yes always a good power surge protector.
"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.