Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Alpha Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Ultimate diamonds upper cabinet dial won't stop self-test
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ultimate diamonds upper cabinet dial won't stop self-test  (Read 13836 times)
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 13

« on: January 11, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »

About %80 of the time I boot up my machine the upper dial won't stop spinning counter-clockwise.. and about
%50 of the time the reels won't stop spinning, and the 7 segment displays continiously flash '8.8.8.8.<...>'.

Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to display "Loading Game...". I checked out some videos of the S9000 bootup
and I don't think it should take this long.

I bought the machine locally from some guy who sells them out of his garage. I am thinking something is bad
or dying, just not sure what.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »

some alphas take 10 to 15 min s to boot up for play just  give it some time
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:25:36 AM »

some alphas take 10 to 15 min s to boot up for play just  give it some time

I think there is an issue with the spinning top though. In the I/O diagnostics it does not appear when it's
stuck spinning. Other times, it does appear. I let it spin for quite some time and the only way to
get it to stop is to power cycle the machine and try again.
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:37:33 AM »

What do you mean by " to power cycle the machine and try again"...!!?!? If it doesn't boot up continuously (with the same error repeatedly), them we need to dig a little deeper. There in lies the problem..power supply, either the 5/12 or the 24.

What do you think Alpha guys?

jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

What do you mean by " to power cycle the machine and try again"...!!?!? If it doesn't boot up continuously (with the same error repeatedly), them we need to dig a little deeper. There in lies the problem..power supply, either the 5/12 or the 24.

It does not show the same error repeatedly - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I power cycled it a few more times this morning, and got some errors that didn't clear on their own. I could play the game, but the top box was still spinning counter-clockwise. I captured the following errors:

Bezel disconnected
Topbox Device Error
Topbox Not Configured

I shut down the cpu/cabinet, tried again, and it worked.

I took out the power supplies, blew out all the dust, and coated the edge connectors with some deoxit. I noticed that one of the tabs securing the connector to the power supply was broken, so it may not of been fully seated. I modified the connector and fixed it. Despite both of these things the intermittent problem is still present.

Can I diagnose a faulty power supply by using the test ports by the main/cabinet switches?
CommTech
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »

It does not show the same error repeatedly - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I power cycled it a few more times this morning, and got some errors that didn't clear on their own. I could play the game, but the top box was still spinning counter-clockwise. I captured the following errors:

Bezel disconnected
Topbox Device Error
Topbox Not Configured

I shut down the cpu/cabinet, tried again, and it worked.

I took out the power supplies, blew out all the dust, and coated the edge connectors with some deoxit. I noticed that one of the tabs securing the connector to the power supply was broken, so it may not of been fully seated. I modified the connector and fixed it. Despite both of these things the intermittent problem is still present.

Can I diagnose a faulty power supply by using the test ports by the main/cabinet switches?

It doesn't sound like a power supply problem from what you are describing.
I would suggest that you clear the machine and make sure that the top box is configured correctly.   
idylewild1

Total Karma Storms: 140

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »

This is a party spin machine if memory serves me right. The top box is simply a reel motor that runs the top box. This motor just like a reel has a position sensor that knows where the ball is located. Alos in the top box is a small module called the RCU ( reel control unit). This module could be the source of your problem or the reel motor position sensor as well. The reel motor must be good since the top box ball turns. I think the RCU uses the USB for communications. The USB cables are notorious for being bad as well.

If the three green lights are on for the power supplies all is well there. If the lights are out or flickering there would be a problem.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. I wll be in the shop on Monday and check this in more detail is you need. Give me a call at 502-422-0615.

cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

Have you checked the condition of the cmos battery since this all started?
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »

Just curious...are you applying power all at once or using the three step switch start up method?  stir the pot / get cooking
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

jiggywithit, how are you making out?  You got some good things to try from members.
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

This is a party spin machine if memory serves me right. The top box is simply a reel motor that runs the top box. This motor just like a reel has a position sensor that knows where the ball is located. Alos in the top box is a small module called the RCU ( reel control unit). This module could be the source of your problem or the reel motor position sensor as well. The reel motor must be good since the top box ball turns. I think the RCU uses the USB for communications. The USB cables are notorious for being bad as well.

If the three green lights are on for the power supplies all is well there. If the lights are out or flickering there would be a problem.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. I wll be in the shop on Monday and check this in more detail is you need. Give me a call at 502-422-0615.

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today - I agree and I think its the RCU. I'm going to look for a replacement and see if that fixes
my problem.

Have you checked the condition of the cmos battery since this all started?

I just checked - voltage looks good.

Just curious...are you applying power all at once or using the three step switch start up method?  stir the pot / get cooking

I am not familiar with the three step switch method, I think this requires using a power strip? I turn on
the CPU and wait a minute, and then turn on the cabinet. Sometimes I turn on the CPU and let it
sit for ~10 minutes and then start up the cabinet.

jiggywithit, how are you making out?  You got some good things to try from members.

I love these forums. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. I look forward to becoming more
knowledgable and contributing back to the community.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »

The proper power up method as described by Bally is to turn on the machine from LEFT to RIGHT (Main Power, then Cabinet Power, then CPU power - AKA the Three step method).
To Power down, you go right to left - CPU, then Cabinet, then Main power.

If you power it up wrong, it may be possible that the USB ports may not initialize correctly.

jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

The proper power up method as described by Bally is to turn on the machine from LEFT to RIGHT (Main Power, then Cabinet Power, then CPU power - AKA the Three step method).
To Power down, you go right to left - CPU, then Cabinet, then Main power.

If you power it up wrong, it may be possible that the USB ports may not initialize correctly.

I only have two switches. Attached is a picture.

* photo.JPG (665.9 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 239 times.)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »

Here is # 3

* 100_2574.jpg (332.69 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 231 times.)
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »

Here is # 3

Hah!  Duh! I never even noticed. OK, I will give this a shot.
SlotFreak
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 18

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »

i wonder why bally designed the 3rd switch on the cpu as a micro switch instead of using a heavy duty power switch like the main power and cabinet switch.
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »

I just tried the left-to-right 3 switch method and on the very first try I got "Topbox Device Error" "Topbox Not Configured"..  no I found a RCU on rudysdeals going to order it and see if that fixes my problem.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »

I just tried the left-to-right 3 switch method and on the very first try I got "Topbox Device Error" "Topbox Not Configured"..  no I found a RCU on rudysdeals going to order it and see if that fixes my problem.

Have you tried to clear then reconfigure your machine?
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

I have not. I do not have a clear/key card for this system.

I also think the "RCU" is different from the topbox controller. I found http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3152&search=rcu but I think that is for the actual reels and not the top box.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »

I have not. I do not have a clear/key card for this system.

My suggestion would be to purchase a Clear/key Card (Post a WTB) and try that first.  You will need to post your O.S version number and BIOS version to get the matching card.
If your game is not correctly configured, you will get those errors.
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »

My suggestion would be to purchase a Clear/key Card (Post a WTB) and try that first.  You will need to post your O.S version number and BIOS version to get the matching card.
If your game is not correctly configured, you will get those errors.

Ok. Even though the error is intermittent? If it were a configuration issue I would expect the problem to happen every time. I Will try to identify my OS/BIOS version and post a WTB.
CommTech

Joe

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »

From your posts, it did not sound like it ever functioned correctly.  Scratch Head 
Regardless, A clear/key card would be a good place to start.  yes
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »

From your posts, it did not sound like it ever functioned correctly.  Scratch Head 
Regardless, A clear/key card would be a good place to start.  yes

Yeah I figure I'll need one anyway. Sorry if I was not clear - I can reboot the machine (normally 2-3 times)
and eventually it works. Considering the boot time it takes forever to get the machine working when I am
in the mood to play. Instead of hitting the jackpot what I really want is for it to boot up right away  rotflmao
harp
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 46

Always on the road

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »

Having to boot 2-3 times is also an indication that the wrong set of Bios / OS is being used for the MPU

Attached is the matrix that you can check your MPU Version for the correct Bios / OS

As for your clear

OS31x = 312clear
OS32x = 320clear
OS33x = 335clear

Harp

* MPU_Compatibility_Matrix_v18.pdf (89.97 KB - downloaded 177 times.)
jiggywithit
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »

Having to boot 2-3 times is also an indication that the wrong set of Bios / OS is being used for the MPU

Attached is the matrix that you can check your MPU Version for the correct Bios / OS

As for your clear

OS31x = 312clear
OS32x = 320clear
OS33x = 335clear

Harp

Great information! I'm running BIOS AVBBP26S300M‐03, which matches to MPU PCA39456‐0‐0. The label on my OS card is damaged and I cannot read it. I looked in 'Diagnostics -> Version information' but I do not see my OS version. I think I found it in 'Diagnostics -> Version Info -> Software manifests'. AVOS00000336-05 from Sat Apr 3 05:38:08 2010. Neat information.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:42:36 PM by jiggywithit » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.