Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  Mikohn Progressive Systems.
| | |-+  PSP Communication Problems with Windows ME
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PSP Communication Problems with Windows ME  (Read 6250 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: September 16, 2008, 06:39:14 AM »

Despite having a correct crossover cable, I was unable to communicate to my ChamII+ on my Windows ME computer.  Here was the solution.

Originally posted 1/11/2008

My WinME doesn't have a "command prompt only" (or similar) option on the F8 menu, but I did make a boot disk (thanks to BootDisk.com) for WinME which allowed me to boot straight into DOS off the disk and I was still able to access the hard drive.

For good measure I powered down the sign, waited for it to boot up, then launched the PSP program.  ...and SUCCESS!  It speaks to it!  I was able to set the correct time and date, then "load" it from the sign to verify that it took.  I also played around with the current jackpot amount and then was able to send it and see the change appear on the display!

I should have mentioned that I did check the settings in ME -- 8, N, 1, Xon/Xoff.  Apparently Windows just wanted to get in the way.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:21 AM »

Despite having a correct crossover cable, I was unable to communicate to my ChamII+ on my Windows ME computer.  Here was the solution.

Originally posted 1/11/2008

My WinME doesn't have a "command prompt only" (or similar) option on the F8 menu, but I did make a boot disk (thanks to BootDisk.com) for WinME which allowed me to boot straight into DOS off the disk and I was still able to access the hard drive.

knagle,
On that bootdisk.com website you went to...which version would I need from there - that would be compatiable to make a "command prompt only" option with my XP Home edition?
I have ALL the latest Windows XP Service Packs and Updates installed on my computer.
Also, those settings...
[I should have mentioned that I did check the settings in ME -- 8, N, 1, Xon/Xoff.  Apparently Windows just wanted to get in the way.]
... are for what? The COM1 port?
-stayouttdabunker
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:59:45 AM »

I have no problem using PSP in XP.

XP Pro 32 is actually running as a guest OS on a Virtual Machine.
The Virtual Software I use is Sun's Virtual Box it is free and supports the full use of USB devices either with drivers for the Host OS or drivers on the Guest OS.
My Host OS is Vista Home Premium 64 or Mac OS X Leopard (yes it runs on the HP Pavilion)
HP Pavilion s3500f does not have a serial port.
I had to let the XP Pro install the drivers for the USB to serial device and the EasyPRO 90B Programmer.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

Knagle,
I CAN get the PSP2.0 to work on this computer -  which is an older HP Pavilion 7920 w/XP home running on a older Intel Celeron processor at 897MHz.

I , however, cannot get it to work on my homebuilt computer w/XP Home running an AMD Athlon 64 processor at 2010MHz.

It seems that Windows "gets in the way".

What settings should I change on the AMD computer to make this PSP work?
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »

I am thinking you have XP Home 64 for the Athlon 64.

Microsoft 64 bit OS do not support 16 bit programs, etc.

PSP is a DOS program, which is a 16 bit OS.

You will have to do like I did and install Virtual Machine software like Sun Virtual Box, WMWare ($$$), MS Virtual PC 2007.
I prefer the Sun Virtual Box.

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »

Thanks Foster,
You'd think that this OS would be backwards compatiable. bawling
But I guess that would be like trying to play a 45rpm hot wax in a DVD player Tongue Out
That reminds me, some where I remember seeing that you can make programs WIN95WIN98 compatiable...I'm not sure where I seen that on my computer. Scratch Head

Anyways, I have the PSP V2.0 working awesome on the HP Pavilion...I think I'll stick with that for now.
Let us know when you figure out your "sniffing"...

knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 03:50:58 AM »

On that bootdisk.com website you went to...which version would I need from there - that would be compatiable to make a "command prompt only" option with my XP Home edition?

It was a while ago, but I'm 99% sure that I just downloaded the "Windows ME" one.  Keep in mind, you're not actually making any changes to your system or how it boots, but rather making a floppy disk that the computer will boot off of before it attempts to boot off the hard drive.  The one that I downloaded (I think WinME) just brings you straight to a DOS prompt when you boot off the floppy.  At that point, I was able to switch to the hard drive ( c: ) and run the PSP progam.  Some basic DOS knowledge would be helpful to do so.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:12:48 AM »

F12 right after your boot tests would get you the same thing.. or something along those lines
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »

Thanks guys...I try holding down different keys during boot up on a "test" computer... yes
I have an old XP computer I built around 2001 that I use just for downloading suspicious programs and fiddle with it a lot.
I never reallly save anything on it....has no firewalls at all.
I had the done complete disk formats and re-installed the same copy of Windows XP on it like about 20 times now.
It's amazing how it always comes back to life!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.