Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:32:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  S2000 Battery Change - Help Needed
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S2000 Battery Change - Help Needed  (Read 17986 times)
DJDOOGIE
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »

Hi everyone.  I am a newbie I have had my IGT S-2000 about a week and have not had an entire day without an error I could not clear ie Closure M or a ticket issue.  Most say call attendant and no info and the candle flashes.  I have hard reset my machine every day I play it.  The last one I got was a coin input error.  I turned off the power and on the advice of a very helpful guy (I can't remember his name) I went through and unplugged and replugged all connections.  The inside of the machine is clean and the other reccomendation was to change the battery.  Is this something a newbie can do?  I have little soldering experience and none on a ciruit board.  Any advice or info would be very appreciated.
Doogie
I am a medic not a mechanic :-)

Doogie
I am a medic not a mechanic but I did have an erector set and legos as a kid.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »

Hi everyone.  I am a newbie I have had my IGT S-2000 about a week and have not had an entire day without an error I could not clear ie Closure M or a ticket issue.  Most say call attendant and no info and the candle flashes.  I have hard reset my machine every day I play it.  The last one I got was a coin input error.  I turned off the power and on the advice of a very helpful guy (I can't remember his name) I went through and unplugged and replugged all connections.  The inside of the machine is clean and the other reccomendation was to change the battery.  Is this something a newbie can do?  I have little soldering experience and none on a ciruit board.  Any advice or info would be very appreciated.
Doogie
I am a medic not a mechanic:-)

That's great that you've found us here at NLG!
Welcome! and I'm sure we can help you do it too!
However, this particular thread you posted your question in...uh...is about S+'s
Let's hope a moderator sees this and places it into the correct forum area for S2000's.
By the way...I'm neither a medic nor a mechanic too... bust gut laughing

Ready?
Here we go>>>

Open the door and turn "OFF" the power to the machine.
On the left side of the cabinet is a tall vertical metal box that houses the MPU.
The MPUs tray handle is on it.
Pull on it and it should start to slide out. Watch your fingers!
Be careful with it because if you take it out too fast, you will bend IC components on the MPU board...especially the black heatsink!!!
Lay the board out in front of you on your workbench
and look for the smaller coin battery.
Look at the battery and see how it's installed onto the MPU board.
Would you start stitching up a person before cleaning the wound?
No right? You'd be looking for dirt or anything that could cause an infection.
Treat your MPU the same way...check it out and see where everything is.

okay, see the coin cell battery?
Make sure you take note of what size it is and the numbers that are on it.
Re-install the MPU back into the machine.
There's nothing more you can do until you go out and buy another battery.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:13:11 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
DJDOOGIE

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

stayouttadabunker,
Thank you so much for your help and I will get a battery next time I am out.  Sorry for posting in the wrong area I will look before I type next time.
Thanks again.

Doogie
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »

You're very welcome DJ,
Post again when you have your battery.
Also, give us more details on your machine.
A least a photo of your MPU face up so we know we're both on the same page
and I'm not dealing with a Barcrest, or Vision machine other than a normal S2000.
Other types of S2000 MPU's may allow you to snip off the large green battery as it's uses are not needed for homeowners.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:07:26 AM »

Bunker  Some clown told DJDOOGIE to replace the battery and your going along with it.  Why ??  He's not getting a Low Battery error.  I'm not saying his battery is 100% good but no indications it's bad either.

DJDOOGIE   I think if it was me I would take my board to my local TV repairman and have him check the voltage in the battery.  It started out in life as a 3 volt battery, I'm not sure just how low you can let one get. I would replace it if it's 2.75 volts or lower. ( someone else can chime in here and tell me how far off I am ) ( I have about 50 spare battery's )

I'm also not sure what a hard reset is ??  Next time you get a error, just lift the door latch and lower it. Sometimes it takes a few times doing this to clear the errors. ( only one error at a time is cleared with the door latch. If a reel tilt you do have to lift the latch and turn the jackpot key to clear.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »

You may be right Buzz but why is he getting errors every time he turns on the machine?
Could be just flaky, oxidized Molex/power connections too?
Maybe a loose I/O card or poorly seated chips?
I'm not sure what he means by a "Hard Reset" either... arrow
Sounds like he's installing a Clear chip once a day... rotflmao
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

Bunker When you are driving around in a big truck, you have a lot of time to think up all kinds of BS.  Today was one of those days, so I have to ask you, have you ever seen any kind of a error caused by a LOW battery except " LOW BATTERY " Seems to me if you get a low battery, it shuts down everything until the bat. is replaced. Now what is the lowest voltage you can have before replacing the battery??  I check the battery on every machine I get, so for out of about 150 S 2000 I have found 4 dead battery's, the rest of them are always around 3.85 volts never any of them lower than 3.85 except stone dead !!

I would like to see some more info. on this machine.  This could just be he isn't getting the door latch all the way down and the optics are not seeing each other.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »

I totally agree with you Buzz.
It could be anything...
I do recall seeing something somewhere about the battery going down to a certain voltage before it triggers the "LOW BATTERY" error but I don't remember where.
It think it was in one of those slot magazines a member uploaded for us last winter.  Scratch Head
I don't even want to try and look for it in the S2000 sections - there's too many.
DJDOOGIE

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »

Ok what I call a hard reset is just turning the reset key 3 times with the door open and go through the some critical data may be lost then hod the white button down on the hard drive for 3 seconds and you lose all the credits.  Anyway I installed a new battery it is a CR2354 now after about 10 turn ons and other things opening the door alot I now get a netplex display error, open the door get an alarm that I turn off with the key and get a RAM error then a game eprom CRC mismatch -OXB000001   I don't know what a reset chip is I just know every time I want to play it I play around for an hour with errors get mad and walk away or do that reset I mentioned reload money into it and play until I get a call attendant error or none of the above work and I get mad and dont touch it for a few days.  I have had the machine plugged in since about 8pm Saturday Sept 17th and hasn't worked an entire day yet.  I took pictures of my machine and board, I added tehm to my profile pictures I hope you can see them.  Also wrote numbers down when I get time I will make a schematic the best I can in powerpoint and add that to my profile too.  I am a bit distraught but hopeful I don't have much more money to put into this right now.

Doogie
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »

Bunker When you are driving around in a big truck, you have a lot of time to think up all kinds of BS.  Today was one of those days, so I have to ask you, have you ever seen any kind of a error caused by a LOW battery except " LOW BATTERY " Seems to me if you get a low battery, it shuts down everything until the bat. is replaced. Now what is the lowest voltage you can have before replacing the battery??  I check the battery on every machine I get, so for out of about 150 S 2000 I have found 4 dead battery's, the rest of them are always around 3.85 volts never any of them lower than 3.85 except stone dead !!

I would like to see some more info. on this machine.  This could just be he isn't getting the door latch all the way down and the optics are not seeing each other.

i was getting a ton of different errors and not one saying low battery and it was my battery....... but my problem was the mpu was draining my batteries below 3.0 causing all these wild errors.....  so after a few batteries i changed my mpu and never had a problem since....... so i have to agree with bunker it could very well be a battery issue........
staz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

this is what you have to do....
TURN ON MACHINE
IT SHOULD SHOW SEE ATTENDANT
OPEN DOOR ALARM WILL SOUND
PLACE KEY IN JACKPOT RESET
TURN IT LIKE 3 TIMES OR TILL YOU SEE PRESS RESET BUTTON FOR 3 SEC
WHEN YOU SEE THAT GO TO YOUR MPU BOARD AND HOLD THAT WHITE BUTTON FOR 3 SEC THEN SHUT YOUR DOOR.....
AFTER THAT IT WILL REBOOT
THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO REPEAT IT AGAIN AND IT SHOULD CLEAR

now if that doesnt help then id say you need a new mpu
you have the same board as i do........it can very well be you need a new board........
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »

I totally agree with you Buzz.
It could be anything...
I do recall seeing something somewhere about the battery going down to a certain voltage before it triggers the "LOW BATTERY" error but I don't remember where.
It think it was in one of those slot magazines a member uploaded for us last winter.  Scratch Head
I don't even want to try and look for it in the S2000 sections - there's too many.
I have a board right now that gave a low battery error . I didn't have a soldered in type battery or a holder so just changed out the board.I will check voltage and re-post what it was at

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
DJDOOGIE

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »

How much does a new MPU usually run?

Doogie
staz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »

i would suggest calling jim at blueridge, hes a great guy and he def has those boards......
DJDOOGIE

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »

Ok thank you.

Doogie
DJDOOGIE

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »

Staz, that is the "hard reset" I have been doing just to get it to work for a little while.  Thanks I will check with Jim maybe I can get a better game too I am not real happy with triple stars it was the only machine I could afford that looked newer and was on his wall being played.  :-(
Just curious if a machine does work and it quits what would the worst case be for repairs and about how much would it cost?  I was offered 2 machines one works and the other one used to.  I am going to look at them if I can get the guy on the phone and just curious so I know what to offer him for the machines.

Doogie
staz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 01:00:49 AM »

depends on whats wrong with it, i say an average repair bill on a s2k slot is $5 to $150.00 for parts....... but it all depends........  on your machine you have now im sure you can get running for under 100 bucks.......

on those 2 machines that your looking at it depends what type they are i say if there just 2 plain s2ks and one doesnt work id offer him 500 for both.......
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 02:20:21 AM »

I've never paid $150 in my life to fix a slot machine.  Not counting a monitor for a Game King.

DJDOOGIE   You know it's up to you, if you want the machine up and running a lot of us will try and help you. If you want to buy the magic pill ( a new MPU ) go ahead it's your money.  You may end up feeling kind of foolish if the MPU doesn't fix the problem and all you needed to do was adjust the door optics.

Staz told you to try what you call a hard reset 2 times if that doesn't work order a new board. That isn't exactly true, some times you have to try to reset 4 or 5 times. If it doesn't boot in 4 or 5 times you need a key 31 eprom  and a clear 97 eprom.

DJDOOGIE

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »

I will try to reset a few more times usually once will get me playing again for a while but like a little earlier I reset it loaded 300.00 into the machine and the second spin said call attendant.  I really would rather learn how to fix it and not just buy parts if I dont have to.  I really appreciate all the help I am getting here.  The world of a home slot machine was like a secret society here the 2 friends I know that have games rooms never would take me to their source to buy one but I got this one and probably paid too much plus the 6 hour drive to get it but I gound this place and have learned alot already.  I would like to find a manual for the machine as well but I need to get it working for more than a few hours.  Thanks again to everyone that helped so far and I will let you know after I run a few consecutive resets

Doogie
staz
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »

heres something you can try go get a voltage meter if you dont have one from radio shack there like 10 bucks if the machine freezes up pull the mpu and check the battery see if it dropped under 3 volts........your issue sounds so much like mine back in the day......i
Foster
The S2000 GURU
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 345

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 08:57:52 AM »

I would say if the voltage is near 2V then replace the battery but if it is above 2.5V then you should be good for a while.

2V @ 0.4 uA per ram IC is that is needed to power them, total of 0.8 uA

the data in the ram is copied to Motherboard EEPROM every 100 spins from what I have read on here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:10:33 AM by Foster » Logged

A Slot Machine and Coca-Cola Addict!!
"If it is not broke do not fix it" I keep forgetting that!
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »

I will try to reset a few more times usually once will get me playing again for a while but like a little earlier I reset it loaded 300.00 into the machine and the second spin said call attendant.  I really would rather learn how to fix it and not just buy parts if I dont have to.  I really appreciate all the help I am getting here.  The world of a home slot machine was like a secret society here the 2 friends I know that have games rooms never would take me to their source to buy one but I got this one and probably paid too much plus the 6 hour drive to get it but I gound this place and have learned alot already.  I would like to find a manual for the machine as well but I need to get it working for more than a few hours.  Thanks again to everyone that helped so far and I will let you know after I run a few consecutive resets

Don't forget you replaced the battery?

Was the voltage in the old battery ever tested ??

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »

okay, to clear up things here...Staz is the one that has replaced his battery.
I do not think DJ has changed his battery.
I only gave him instructions as to HOW TO GET TO THE BATTERY just in case he needs to change it -
only because he asked... rotflmao
I agree with Buzz...the problem may NOT be the battery because we've never
seen a "LOW BATTERY" error code on the display.

I should have given him instructions on how to read the voltage of the battery, but we
don't know if that's the source of this problem yet.

This might only be a $2.75 repair job...!!!  Cry Laughing
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »

Bunker LOOK at reply #8

DJDOOGIE

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

Ok old battery was reading 2.88 and 2.90 new battery was 3.1 I ran the reset 6 times and now all i get is display netplex link is down.  Frustration...  I wish it would do the same thing it might be easier to fix. lol.  So  I will wait and see what you all think. 

Doogie
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.