Fortune 1 Doing All Kinds of Crazy Things

(1/3) > >>

RiseLikeRa:
Hello Group and Happy News Year.

My Jokers Wild fortune 1 has started to do strange things.  The games makes wierd sounds at random and the screen background blue color now changes to white after the game has been on for a few minutes.  I had read somewhere that this could be a sign of a bad battery (Back Left side of Motherboard)  That battery is a PX-21 4.5v.  I removed that battery and checked voltage.  I got .73 to .63volts. 

I ordered a replacement battery.  Is there anything else that I should check?  Should the new battery do the trick?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you

Ra

Amachanic:
The battery's not going to make any differance. It's mostly used to hold accounting memory. I play mine without a battery without a problem. I believe you should check the three adjusting pots next to the small transformer on the main board, all the way in the back..Those three adj pots control your back round screen colors. The other thing it could be the two eproms in CGO-A and CGI-A. Those are your graphics. You could have a bad socket or solder joint. You could pull and try re-seating those two proms.. I use a wooden pensil or wooden dowel to tap on components of the main board and watch for the screen to change or flicker. Good way to locate a bad connection. Never use your fingers due to static and getting shocked. Use something non conductive. This may not be the correct way, but is the way I check that works for me..

Gary

RiseLikeRa:
Gary:

Thank you so much for your response.  I am as eager as they come to tackle the issue however you just spoke greek to me.  I am a Bally EM man in a Fortune 1 world.  When you say CHECK the adjusting pots, if I can locate them, what should I do to CHECK them?  How do I know if they are operation properly?  Should I wiggle, push, or pull on them?  Do I need some kind of meter to check them?

Then you REALLY got greek when you started takling "EPROM!"   Is that what you go to in your last year of high school?  lol.  CGO-A  and CGI-A?  Where are they?  What do they look like?  Pictues of the suspected problem parts and baby steps instructions would be appreciated. 

I LOVE playing this game.  I am willing to dive in with the help of this group.

Ra

Amachanic:
Ra..

I like you mostly work on the earlier Bally slots, E's and EM's, but I've been learning how these Fortune I machines work over the past couple weeks.. I've attached a couple pics of the main board from my machine. I would tap on those three pots or try turning them a little. That's where I like using a pencil with an rubber eraser to keep from getting shocked.. The two eproms I mentioned are pictured too. Do the same with them, tap on them lightly to see if your screen changes..

Gary

RiseLikeRa:
Gary you are a rock star!!!  I still dont know what a POT is.  Are they the blue round things?  The EPROMS are the black flat things that plug in up front. 

Here is what I did...  After not knowing what the hell a pot was I took a wooden ruler and tapped on the right EPROM.  I immediately saw a change for the better on the screen.  I then turned the machine off and tried to wiggle the EPROM.  After a couple of shakes with a pull the whole thing came out in my hand.  Almost all of the little metal legs were bent to hell!  I put on my glasses and got a needle nose pliers and straightened all of the little legs.  I then slid the EPROM back in,  once i figured out which one I took it out from, and all worked!

I played the game for about an hour and has a great stable screen.  The sound even worked once or twice.  I guess that I will have an extra battery or two.  Success!

Thank you so much!
Ra

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page