Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Gaming Industry News
| |-+  Jays Gaming and Industry News (Moderator: jay)
| | |-+  Un-Happy Days for actors featured on a popular slot machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un-Happy Days for actors featured on a popular slot machine  (Read 3995 times)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« on: April 19, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »

According to some former Happy Days actors, CBS has basically told them to "sit on it" and hasn't been paying royalties for Happy Days merchandise sales and the use of their likeness on WMS' slot machines.

Here's the article:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/19/news/companies/happy_days_fraud_claim/index.htm?hpt=C2

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »

In documents provided to the actors, CBS said it only owes them between $8,500 and $9,000 each for the last four years. Most of that money is from slot machine revenues. The actors argue they are owed millions of dollars.

While I think they may be owed moeny for using thoer pictures, it sounds like they want a cut of the slot revenue too. IMO they would not be entitled to that.

reho33
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »

Al Lewis and the rest of "The Munsters" were un-successful in getting IGT to stop using their likeness on the slot with the same theme, different contracts I guess.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »

If the Happy Days actors had merchandising residuals in their contracts and have not been receiving money for all of these merchandise deals, they should sue and are certainly entitled to their money. I wonder if their claim that the industry has been screwing over actors as a general practice is true?  Scratch Head  I haven't looked into it.

On the other hand, this sounds fishy:
Asked why they didn't raise the merchandising issue earlier, Williams said, "We're actors. We were going through other things. We just thought if there was something to be made, we'd get it in the mail. We didn't think about it. But when those slot machines hit, it just woke us all up to look back and say, 'Wait and minute.'"
Are these actors living in such an isolated bubble that they couldn't possibly have been aware of all the "Happy Days" merchandise that's been sold over the last 25 years?

And get this:
Under the actors' contracts, they were supposed to be paid 5% from the net proceeds of merchandising if their sole image were used, and 2 1/2% if they were in a group. The studio could deduct 50% off the top as a "handling fee."

So, even IF the studio had paid what it was supposed to pay, they were keeping HALF for themselves as a BS fee?! If my agent had agreed to those terms I'd have fired him.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »

So, even IF the studio had paid what it was supposed to pay, they were keeping HALF for themselves as a BS fee?! If my agent had agreed to those terms I'd have fired him.

Probably the standard contract. I would assume there is actually quite a bit of overhead keeping track of all of the royalties for a zillion actors.
uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »

I remember an interview with David Cassidy where he said his contract while on the Partridge Family gave him 5% royalities on merchandise. After he had his lawer file a complaint he was given a check of about $800.  bust gut laughing
So I believe they are being ripped off, big time.
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »

If my agent had agreed to those terms I'd have fired him.
   I didn't know you had a agent .          Is he a secret agent.       Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
StatFreak

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »

I remember an interview with David Cassidy where he said his contract while on the Partridge Family gave him 5% royalities on merchandise. After he had his lawer file a complaint he was given a check of about $800.  bust gut laughing

That much, huh?  Crazy frying pan Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Okay, I'll admit it. I watched that Partridge Family when I was a kid, and I bought one or two of their records. Hey, I was a widdle kid back then. Tongue Out

Even as a little kid I knew that they didn't perform anything. (Okay, I cheated. I was a musician, so I could tell right away that they weren't playing their instruments and that they were lip syncing, even though I was only eight.) If I remember correctly someone named Wes Farrell was the songwriter and producer who really put it together, and although Shirley Jones and David Cassidy did sing, David Cassidy didn't sing on all of the songs.

<PS> I was hitting puberty by the time the show went off the air, so naturally, I watched the reruns to see Susan Dey.  yummy yes
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:05:11 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »

If my agent had agreed to those terms I'd have fired him.

I didn't know you had a agent .          Is he a secret agent.       Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing Cry Laughing

Sherlock Smiley I could tell ya', but then I'd have to...  boss

SpongeBob Butt  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.