Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  NLG Members who host their own Repair Logs of Various Games.
| |-+  RickHunters Computer Help 101 (Moderator: rickhunter)
| | |-+  S-Video from computer to HDTV
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S-Video from computer to HDTV  (Read 4948 times)
SAT (aka GANDHI)
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 224

« on: September 30, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »

Im trying to use my laptop as a DVD player and also so i can play GTA and Command and Conquer on a big screen and all that fun stuff.

But when i connect the S-Video to my tv which is a 59 inch HDTV Projection, Its all blury..... Duh! Duh! Duh!

Any ideas i sure could use them.... Well ok my old lady dont think so but whatever rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Any help???

Joeylc_III
   Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

No ideas here... you might try the guys over at the Neo-Geo.com forums in the Tech Support forum. Those guys are mad nutz when it comes to hooking all kinds of arcade games and modified console games to their TVs through direct RGB, S-video, and component inputs.

RJ

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »

If your TV has component inputs you can use a VGA-component transcoder like this one:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/9a65.asp

if your laptop has the ability to oupot a component video signal, you can make your own cable, here'w how (Note that your notebooks video sub-system must be able to do component to use this cable)

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »

When converting from VGA to S-Video or even Composite video, I have had good luck with the AverMedia AverKey converters.  We have used them on a number of Video game to TV applications.  But, they will set you back from $89 to $109.

I also tried the VideoGenie (I think that is what it was called).  It died on us after only 2 weeks.  The good thing about it, is it held any picture adjustment settings (position, width etc.).  The Avermedia ones don't once you remove the power.

CJ

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »

I ran into this setting up my MAME system.

Make sure you lower your res on the computer to 800 x 600 or even 640 x 480 and if your software supports it lower the monitor refresh speed to 60hz or so.

Since you are using the equivelent of video-in you are not going to get the highresolution that your laptop monitor puts out on a TV (thus the blurryness). 

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

Please be careful with HD TVs...infamous for burn-in issues.  If you are going to play games a lot on the big screen you may want to look at plasma...it's like a big monitor.

By the way command and conquer is one of my all time favorites...awsome.  One of my best memories was when a friend was harrasing me by throwing tanks at my base every time he got 5 or 6 built....I flew in a few tanya units by chopper and crushed all his major buildings before he knew what was even going on....I didn't even think it would work at the time.  He got so mad he smashed his keyboard.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

Plasma's are also subject to burn-in.  LCD is the only flat panel technology immune to it.  I also forgot to mention in my previous post that the only way you are going to get a clear picture is to use component, DVI, HDMI, or VGA inpot.  Everything else will look "blurry."  Also depending on what technology is behind your HDTV it will be subject to burn-in.  Something your mom will not be hapy about. You can now buy 37" lcd panels for under $800.  So if you want to do a lot of gaming and you like big pictures, that's probably the way to go. 

A laptop is not really the best gaming machine.  Slow drives, slow bus, crappy 3d performance.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »

Another fun option for gaming are the older data grade CRT projection units. Some can be had for a few hundred+ and they project a huge image, measured in feet instead of inches.
Still subject to burn in though.

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »

Also depending on what technology is behind your HDTV it will be subject to burn-in.  Something your mom will not be hapy about.

I think the old lady would have to be a girl friend...........  rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

I don't think he would live if he used that term for GCMOMMY, besides they don't have a TV that big at the Command Center because it won't fit with all of the slot machines!!!!  yes yes yes Duh! Duh! Duh! rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

I know.... ITS ALL MY FAULT!!!

CAPTAINHAPPY

P.S.   Welcome Back LC_III   I hope that all is going well.

Mark

Keep it simple!!!
SAT (aka GANDHI)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »

Yes Yes the term "my old lady" is my girl friend, her and i bought the tv togther and its a very good tv i know that it is subject to burn in lol.

No No never call Gcmommy a old lady no way jose. rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

yes it is all YOUR fault Captain
Please be careful with HD TVs...infamous for burn-in issues.  If you are going to play games a lot on the big screen you may want to look at plasma...it's like a big monitor.

By the way command and conquer is one of my all time favorites...awsome.  One of my best memories was when a friend was harrasing me by throwing tanks at my base every time he got 5 or 6 built....I flew in a few tanya units by chopper and crushed all his major buildings before he knew what was even going on....I didn't even think it would work at the time.  He got so mad he smashed his keyboard.

Hells yes I love that game and i know how the playing with friends and smashing things LOL Just ask Joeylc he will tell you all about it... Yes im definatlly going to upgrade the connection im using and the laptop was just a test, my normal computer has a S-Video output.

Thanks All
     Joeylc_III
     Homicidal Ind.

Keep it simple!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.