E1000 vs E2000 Reel Differences

(1/3) > >>

ramegoom:
I'm trying to troubleshoot a reel issue on an E1000 machine, and figured I'd be able to simply swap the reel into a later E2000. They *look* the same, but the two Molex connectors are gendered opposite. The 1000 reel has female terminals, where the 2000 has male terminals, so my machine won't connect.

Anyone know if the reels are pin-for-pin compatible, aside from the gender issue? If so, I'll fabricate a jumper to make it work - or not...

The readers on the 1000 are incandescent, and the 2000 machine I'm trying it on is also incandescent, so there should be no issue there.

On that same subject, can an incandescent reel be swapped into a machine that originally has IR LED reader lamps?

dhellis:
I'm not to sure of the wiring but considering that the E2000 came after the E1000 I would expect that they made them differently so as to avoid
swapping them. If they were the same there would not be any reason to change the gender.

I wouldn't swap the 50 volt readers for 5 volt readers unless you have a keen desire to see smoke. The reel reader control cards can be swapped
but there are differences in the wiring of the J1 connector on that card. The 50 volts is applied from the same source and through Q32 on the
IO board  which is connected to J1 pin 7 and the 5 volt card gets Vcc from J1 pin 8

My guess is that if you try using 50 volt cards in a machine that originally has 5 volt readers you won't see any light at all.

I also think we should be posting in the new version at http://newlifegames.com  As I understand it, this site is now just an archive.

ramegoom:
Found the problem; those "grain-of-wheat" light bulbs got me. I had a 41-1 code, swapped readers, then got a 41-2. So I replaced a burned out bulb on the reader. Put it back in, got a 41-1 code, and found a bad bulb on the 2nd. reader. They're burning out like popcorn!

So, I went ahead and replaced all 15 bulbs. Oddly, I had the bulbs on my shelf - I think they're 14 volt bulbs, but were the same physical bulb as the original.

Anyway, all bulbs replaced, game works perfectly. Woo Hoo! 'Nuther one done.

And, thanks to dhellis for finding the bugaboos on the CPU board. All is well now.

dhellis:
The bulb is a #680 bulb if they are burning out quickly I would check the 470 ohm 2 watt resistor and would expect to see a rather low value.

Good to seen another machine up and running... :244-

ramegoom:
The resistors check OK, but they seem to run pretty hot. Maybe I should take a closer look at the resistance....

Wonder what would be involved in converting the reader to LED? Seems a small regulator on each reader board might do the trick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page