Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  BALLY Game Maker. (Moderator: tacman)
| | |-+  game maker cpu board DOA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: game maker cpu board DOA  (Read 3032 times)
azgamingslots
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

« on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »

never had a v-7000 do this, when powered up the green leds on the front of the cpu light up (red led off) -but no picture -not even a blue screen.
its not the machine, ( i tried a good board in machine)  it works fine, and i swapped all movable chips/software into the board and nothing -even if i try a ram clear.

any ideas what usually dies (other than software) on a game maker board?
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:44:58 AM »

This is just a shot in the dark (pun Tongue Out) but first double check the battery, and then try erasing (or swapping out) the 8 pin EEPROM in U3. It's located in the upper left corner of the board and holds the jurisdiction information and probably most of the initial setup info.

If it's data are corrupted that could cause this behavior and might prevent clearing the machine. Once it's erased you would be able to perform a full clear to setup the machine again if nothing else were wrong.

Given the fact that you've already swapped chips, this is probably not the problem, but it couldn't hurt to try it.

I'm assuming that you've already checked for bent/damaged pins connecting to the backplane and for any obviously toasted components on the board. Hopefully someone with more Gamemaker experience will have seen this behavior and be able to point you to the common cause(s). Otherwise, you might have to break the board down into sections and troubleshoot it at the component level, or just replace it.

There used to be a guy in Vegas that did board level repairs, but I don't know if he worked on the GM or if he's even still around. His name is Jim and his phone was 702-400-4147. That number is over four years old, so I can't promise anything.

Hope this helps some.

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
azgamingslots
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 9

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:58 AM »

thanks for the reply,
 replaced the lithium battery, and swapped eeprom u-3 from a working board, (as well as every chip that would pop off the board) -even put every chip (one at a time in a working board) and they worked -however still plenty of chips soldered in place.

checked all traces and pins, everything looks good -just dead black screen - green leds on front of cpu light up.

-normally when you get a bad main etc, you at least get a blue screen or some kind of message of failure. 
i know the machine/monitor/pwr supply is working -a good board will work in the machine.
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you get it fixed.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »

I think Barry Fox had the same symptoms on his machine.
Drop him a line and see if he got his fixed.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.