Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  12V cold cathode lighting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12V cold cathode lighting  (Read 10774 times)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« on: September 16, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

12V cathode lighting
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a way to connect a 12V cathode light transformer to an S+? 
I would like to try to replace the old 110V flourescent lighting that is in my reel lighting area under the top of the door.
I think the cathode lighting looks pretty cool.
Do I HAVE to hook it up to a (110V>>>12V) tansformer or is there some wiring in the S+ that is 12Volts that I can tap into?
Or is there NOTHING on an S+ that's 12volts? 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-stayouttadabunker (aka"blackjack")
Have a great day tinkering...

MarkInAz
Ya know, you could just do the 12V transformer inside your box but feed it with the input going to the florescent transform since you wont be using it anymore.  A few wire nuts and voila.  A lot less extra wiring maybe. 
I (we) would like to see how this turns out for you. 

MarkInAz
There is the +Vs 10.5 VDC unregulated, but its hard to tell where it goes with this poor Liberty Belle photo copy.  I'd bet 10VDC might still make the light fire up.  Maybe someone with a better schematic can see where that line goes.

MarkinAz,
Which or where is that particular wire you're speaking of?
What color is it?
Or did you see it listed on a wiring schematics somewhere?
Come to think of it.......I HAVE a wiring schematics for an S+....wish it was clear enough to read though
I could put a tester on it and see if it would be enough to fire up the cathode lighting... 

MarkInAz

I did a little digging and unfortunately I could not find the " Vun " signal which would have been best.  But you do have access to the " +Vb " which is an unregulated halfwave rectified DC signal at about 9.5 VDC (on may S-plus).  It's on the Red w/ Black stripe wire in the top box in the unused molex connector.  The only issue is how much of a load are you going to put on it with the lighting.  I'd suggest you first try it on a stand-along DC power supply & see if it will even fire up at ~9 VCD.  If it does, measure its current draw.  I'm only guessing here but if you draw more than ~ 100mA you may induce trouble in your machine.  It appears lots of the optical sensors are also powered by the " +Vb" line.
Good luck

Disclaimer- The user of this information agrees to hold the author, his company, his wife, his children and his dog harmless from any and all consequences pertaining to the above wild assumptions.

knagl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:47:06 AM »   

Quote from: MarkInAz on July 10, 2008, 09:45:31 PM
It's on the Red w/ Black stripe wire in the top box in the unused molex connector.Some people do use that connector -- it's for a stand-alone "mini photon" IGT progressive controller/display.

ROCKET
Quote from: MarkInAz on July 10, 2008, 09:45:31 PM
I did a little digging and unfortunately I could not find the " Vun " signal which would have been best.  But you do have access to the " +Vb " which is an unregulated halfwave rectified DC signal at about 9.5 VDC (on may S-plus).  It's on the Red w/ Black stripe wire in the top box in the unused molex connector.  The only issue is how much of a load are you going to put on it with the lighting.  I'd suggest you first try it on a stand-along DC power supply & see if it will even fire up at ~9 VCD.  If it does, measure its current draw.  I'm only guessing here but if you draw more than ~ 100mA you may induce trouble in your machine.  It appears lots of the optical sensors are also powered by the " +Vb" line.
Good luck

Disclaimer- The user of this information agrees to hold the author, his company, his wife, his children and his dog harmless from any and all consequences pertaining to the above wild assumptions.

if your that worried about current draw &  i personally would not be on cold cathodes that size just buy a
110 volt switching powe supply hide it in the top box area  and plug it into the mains coming in for 110 volt or just make a plug and plug it into the ac 3 prong plug on most all
upright & slant igt's that way you will have all sorts of juice at different volts to run your toys !!

dont forget your getting rid of the flourecent light /starter etc just adding the cold cathodes in placement of them so what you remove
your actually adding less .. of course you will have to run wires from bottom to top box   but thats not to difficult ..
you can buy the switching power supply  from haap for 20.00 bucks or arcade guys sell them in bunches for 5.00 reach used ..
just remember to have the switch on the power supply on 110 not 220 or your cold cathode will become a HOT CATHODE ONCE IN ITS LIFE

rocket 

Cactusjack

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »   

Personally, I wouldn't load down the Unregulated VDC in the S+ any more than it already is.  You will just help accellerate the burning of the transformer connector on the motherboard.

Like was suggested above to use its own power supply: just buy a "Wall Wart" (those wall plug transformers like would power a Calculator or answering machine).  You can get them fairly cheap from people like Marlin P Jones or Herbach/Raidman or at your local surplus store. OR, sometimes you can find good deals on things that look like Laptop power supplies but have strange mixes of voltages but include some +12 in the mix.

Using the now, unused 110AC to the Flourescent fixture, it is quite easy to power them.  Just use some 0.25" Fast-on crimp connectors - those red or blue things you crimp on a wire to slide it on a spade connector like on a fuse holder.  Just slide it onto the two male pins that would normally plug into the wall outlet.  I don't know if there is enough space to add it to the service socket in the bottom of the machine instead.

Just remember they come in two flavors.  12VDC Regulated or 12VDC unregulated.  The unregulated one will probably be putting out at least 15VDC until you load it down a bit.  The regulated ones are more expensive.  Buy it based on the current draw of your CC lamp assembly.

CJ
If a Man answers a question in the Forest, and there is no Woman around to hear it, is the Man's answer still always wrong?

stayouttadabunker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:16:35 PM » 

I like everyone's answers !
I laughed at a few as well.
You guys are the best.   
I even hooked up a cheap used remote car starter to my S+. 
Now I play the "Max Bet" button remotely!
I can't wait to make a short video clip to show everyone.
Kudo's + to everyone who helped!     
This machine was actually built by many of the NLG gang here because 8 months ago was the first time I ever looked inside of one!
Again, Thanks to all because none of this could have been done without your help!   

MarkInAz
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »   

You've got me really curious now.  A remote Max Play Button.  Now I've heard of everything.

stayouttadabunker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »   

haha!,
Well, you guys havent yet seen the "automatic-play" button I've installed.
Using a regular mini-switch/wedge bulb socket combo, I glued a tiny radio shack relay and soldered wires running between the bulb and the NO9 Normally Open) switch contacts.
Whenever the "Max Bet" button lights up, it then in turn triggers the relay circuitry , which then closes the mini-switch for the "Max Bet" switch and the machine plays on it's own.
Great for testing purposes. 
You cannot feasibly play more credits/handle pulls then this "Auto switch".
The game only stops when:

(1) The relay is disconnected (That's ANOTHER switch sticking out of unused belly door lock hole),
or
(2) It runs out of enough credits to light up the "Max Bet" switch,
or
(3) The game locks up because a jackpot/hand-pay was hit,
or
(4) If the power goes off in the neighborhood!

Short video will be out next week.
I'm a terrible windows movie player editor...........
'nuff said

knagl
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »   

Quote from: Cactusjack on July 11, 2008, 09:57:52 AM
Just remember they come in two flavors.  12VDC Regulated or 12VDC unregulated.  The unregulated one will probably be putting out at least 15VDC until you load it down a bit.  The regulated ones are more expensive.  Buy it based on the current draw of your CC lamp assembly.
Thank you for that explanation.  I've always noticed on the multi-meter that the power supplies give off more voltage than they're labeled for -- I figured that they'd drop down under a load, but that the load would have to be significant.

For example, I'm using one of those to power LED's in a topper that call for 13v, but I think I'm using a power supply labeld as 9v (which is actually putting out somewhere around 13v), as I'm sure they're not drawing that much current.

With your last sentence there, are you suggesting that one should use a (roughly) 9v unregulated power supply for the 12v cold cathode lights? 

MarkInAz
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »   

Quote from: knagl on July 11, 2008, 10:49:23 PM
With your last sentence there, are you suggesting that one should use a (roughly) 9v unregulated power supply for the 12v cold cathode lights?
I'm not sure what CJ will say but my experience is if the load on the unregulated wall-wart is far less the the rated max load than the output voltage will be high.  As the load nears the rated output the voltage will come down to near its voltage rating.  But if you overload it, the voltage will drop even more, that is when you run the risk of overheating the transformer and burning it up, which sometimes take several hours to happen.  As a word of caution- just because something works at the moment does not mean its a "good design"

Anyone know what those CC light draw anyhow? 

sommer

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 01:07:29 AM »   

You guys just got me curious  about 12V? yes i found a nice solid 12VAC,and tested.i just happen to have 12VDC 18"Neon light removed from under neath the car(it drew about 0.330A)no problem the cathode light probably take less amp,     

rookie!...

sommer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 01:26:30 AM »   

stayouttadabunker
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 08:04:07 AM »   

sommer!,
Where exactly is that pinned into on the motherboard?
It looks like you have it in right next to the power harness from the power supply?
That is good sleuthing!    I would have never found it! 
I need to know which pin hole you have it in on the motherboard....I could run that one to the CC's electronic ballast's positive side.
The negative side of the CC's ballast would connect to where now?

ADDED>>>>>I knew someone would of thougth of the "Auto-Play" switch before me! 

sommer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »   

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »   

Awesome!,
So........ THAT's how the S+'s gets their 24VAC.......two 12Vac's....   
that's why there's 2 two orange wires and 2 two green wires going to the motherboard from the power supply.
Great job Sommer! 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:43:37 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »

Finally.
Some how this topic didnt transfer well to the new site. ???
Anyways, here's that short clip as promised ...
I attached it to you tube then put it here.
The auto play button is great for testing uses. Smiley
Here's the link to the short clip:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RX_IWz1DYGA&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RX_IWz1DYGA&rel=0</a>

ADD>>>It's slightly better to watch it with the "High Quality" button...
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

At Radio Shack is where I got the Max Bet switch relay:

$2.99   Compact 5VDC/1A SPST Reed Relay 
Model: 275-232  |  Catalog #: 275-232 

* pRS1C-2160387t98.jpg (1.69 KB, 98x113 - viewed 578 times.)
sommer
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 60

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

Finally.
Some how this topic didnt transfer well to the new site. ???
Anyways, here's that short clip as promised ...
I attached it to you tube then put it here.
The auto play button is great for testing uses. Smiley
Here's the link to the short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX_IWz1DYGA

ADD>>>It's slightly better to watch it with the "High Quality" button...

stayouttadabunker,  could you post the pics of the control box for the BV.display(add vision)and where is plug into.
i just did an auto play on my new toy S2000 it take 12v.dc relay i'll post the video shortly

IGT S-2000...
Sorry about my grammar..lol..it is my second language.!!lmao...
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »

auto play s2000 and cash can modified Hail applause
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8_rHLvX42U&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/r8_rHLvX42U&rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:52:55 PM by sommer » Logged

IGT S-2000...
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

WOW thats cool.  how do you make it do that?

auto play or the can

you need one relay and some wire/connector

here's what i did to my machine!!! some one might do diff ways,

Relay;coil side go to cash/credit light Bulb wires (flashing)

Relay SW,side go to max SW,wires

6V. relay for S+ 12V. for S2000

hope this help i'm rookie also!

IGT S-2000...
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »

its not like illeagle to do that is it?/?
I'll leave this one for the expert here!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehe!!!!!!!!

IGT S-2000...
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »

its not like illeagle to do that is it?/?
I'll leave this one for the expert here!!!!!!!!!!!!hehehe!!!!!!!!

If it's your property in your home and you paid for it, it's your business what you do to it. LOL. Hey, we have a member that blew up his pachislo with an M80. bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

P.S. That's an opinion, not advice. Tongue Out arrow frying pan

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »

stayouttadabunker,  could you post the pics of the control box for the BV.display(add vision)and where is plug into.
[/quote]

The two wires from the DBVs light sticker control box run from the left side of the cabinet under the front of the reel tray over to the right of the cabinet into the DBV power supply's 12V and ground wires.
The light chaser controller wires need to be spliced into the power supplys wires.
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »

Hey, we have a member that blew up his pachislo with an M80. bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Yup, but that was illegal because it wasn't a Williams.

It's only legal to blow up WMS machines. Hippo Dance Evil slap frying pan stir the pot / get cooking bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Thanks,
Bill
Brianzz
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 316

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »

I love the cash can mod.. I never knew how the bills got stacked till I watched that.. fantastic
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »

It would be pretty easy to glue a small piece of clear plexiglass to fill the hole yes
Reminds me of post on the old site of a machine that had a complete clear plexiglass cabinet.
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:21 PM »

The two wires from the DBVs light sticker control box run from the left side of the cabinet under the front of the reel tray over to the right of the cabinet into the DBV power supply's 12V and ground wires.
The light chaser controller wires need to be spliced into the power supplys wires.
[/quote]
Thank you bunker.

i have no idea how the display work?and how many volt its take to power up,since i don't have the control boxes, tried to power up directly a/c d/c 3-6-9-12-24Volts nothing, next I'll try 110V.lol.. weird the display have no ohm no reading,

IGT S-2000...
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »

I love the cash can mod.. I never knew how the bills got stacked till I watched that.. fantastic
It would be pretty easy to glue a small piece of clear plexiglass to fill the hole yes
Reminds me of post on the old site of a machine that had a complete clear plexiglass cabinet.

huh..may be i'll make a front door for the can to fill the hole use Plexiglas's?

* rsz_cash_can_mod.jpg (139.28 KB, 800x600 - viewed 403 times.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:30:02 AM by sommer » Logged

IGT S-2000...
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »

sure! like a doggie door rotflmao

Then use little magnets to hold the DBV door shut so the bills dont fall out all over the place every time you drop the belly glass door.
- OR -

You can drill small 5/64 holes along-side the opening you've cut out and run some bungy cord-like string like you can get at a Jo-Anns Fabrics or Micheals store.
The bungy string will hold the bills in there (without a plexiglass door).
Sort of like those web nettings you see on the back of junky old pick up trucks with confederate flag logos stuck all over it.
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »

Then use little magnets to hold the DBV door shut so the bills dont fall out all over the place every time you drop the belly glass door.
- OR -

You can drill small 5/64 holes along-side the opening you've cut out and run some bungy cord-like string like you can get at a Jo-Anns Fabrics or Micheals store.
The bungy string will hold the bills in there (without a plexiglass door).
Sort of like those web nettings you see on the back of junky old pick up trucks with confederate flag logos stuck all over it.

There you go...... talking about my pick-up again!  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Ron
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 03:14:59 AM »

lol...!

Actually, my sons truck has all that plus camouflage!
The only thing he doesn't have is the balls hanging off the rear bumper.
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 03:44:18 AM »

bust gut laughing bust gut laughing rotflmao Duh! Scratch Head bust gut laughing sleep  very funny  bust gut laughing

IGT S-2000...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.