Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 06:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ Handle Not Clicking When Pulled
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ Handle Not Clicking When Pulled  (Read 8978 times)
5 ACES
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »

Hello all!
 It's been awhile since I have posted on here and I have missed it dearly! LOL! I have a small problem that hopefully, can be fixed somewhat easy. I have an S+ Round Top and the problem that I am having is, when the side handle is pulled down to spin the reels, it no longer makes the loud "Click" sound that it use to. The handle works but I have also noticed that it is now very easy to pull down, where as before it was somewhat harder to pull down, especially right before it "Clicked" and then the reels would spin. Everything else on the handle works fine and I was just curious if this problem could be fixed fairly easily and that I could get the "Click" sound back. Thanks Guys!!

cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »

Sounds like you've got a broken/loose spring inside the mechanism. You'll probably need to remove the handle mech from the machine to know which it is
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »

the only item that would affect the handle arm is the solenoid on the handle mech. it is the action of this solenoid that makes the "clicking" noise.  you can test this by going into the input test #16, or the output test #32. 

test #16 fires the solenoid and allows the handle to be pulled and also tests the switch.
test #32 fires the solenoid everytime the spin switch is pressed.
you can also use your finger and push up on the plunger part to see if it is binding.

if the solenoid is bad, you can remove it without removing the handle mech.

Hope this helps.

Jim   

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
5 ACES

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »

cowboygames, Jim
 The solenoid is working fine and it does make the noise that it is supposed to. The problem I believe is somewhere inside the mechanism itself. It use to click right before the handle was pulled all of the way down, but has now stopped doing it. I can hear the little clicks as the handle is being pulled down, but it fails to do that last big click right when it engages the reels. The solenoid itself is still knocking like it should when the reels stop. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take apart the mechanism itself, but after looking at it, I don't see any other way of fixing it. It does still work though, it just puzzles me as to why it all of a sudden stopped clicking like it did when I first got the machine.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »

In my post I'm referring to a ratchet mechanism that keeps the handle from returning untill you pull it all the way down. I beleive this is what makes the sound you're referring to. Kinda makes it sound like the old mechanical slots when you pull the handle. Sounds like it's stuck or there's a spring broken or loose. And yes, you'll probably have to remove the mechanism to fix it
5 ACES

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »

cowboygames, that's exactly where the problem lies! I'm glad that you can explain it better than me! LOL!! Well, if I feel like being adventurous, I may take it out and see what's wrong. After looking at the specs of that thing in the IGT manual, I may never get it back together! LOL!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

I've had a few busted...the guys pull on the handle and let it snap back!  frying pan
Ladies are usually more gentle and let it back slowly holding the handle ball.  Hail

Even though the handle mechanisms were built like draw horses -
there's a lot of strain on everything when they let the handles snap back like that.
Sometimes the handles loosen up and come right off!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

Taking it out is a lot easier than taking it apart and putting it back together. If you place a WTB in the classifieds here on the site you can probably get one from a vendor at a good price
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »

Pretty easy to pull out too...three nuts - two on top and one on the bottom.
You'll need an Allen key to loosen the handle retaining screw in the hole in the cap.
5 ACES

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »

I do know this if it would help in a diagnosis. LOL! I use to have to push the handle forward sometimes in order for it to "Catch" then the click would happen when pulling the handle down. This does not work anymore though. Can the spring or whatever is used to make the click sound, be accessed by just taking off the handle, or does it require the handle to be taken apart? If this can be accessed by just taking off the handle, I could give that a try.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »

I'd say take it apart...you will learn more about your machine that way!  yes
Otherwise you'll be sticking your head and fingers in places where they shouldn't be -
that's never good because the lighting isn't good in there.  no
You want your fingers whole and intact!!!

I'd pull it out and place the whole handle mech on a bench with good lighting
and see what's busted or out of whack and replace the parts if needed.

Do a search for the Ken's  sticky on the S+ handle thread on NLG.
It had pictures of everything and real simple to understand.
I think it's in Rick's FAQ's on the home page.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:56:51 PM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
5 ACES

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »

Sound's good, stayouttadabunker! I'll give it a try tonight!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »

I couldn't find Ken's excellent thread on the S+ handle repair job.  Scratch Head
It may have NOT got gotten transferred over to the new website when we moved?

ADD>>> I found it for ya!!!  yes

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=122.0

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=122.0;attach=2105;image
5 ACES

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »

stayouttadabunker, you are the MAN! Thanks a ton for the links! This will be extremely helpful! Again, THANK YOU!!
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »

there is apart that breaks all the time. it operates a spring, it extends into a slot in the handle mech.  usually a 3/16"  piece will break off.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
5 ACES

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »

Stupid question: These parts can be found fairly easily, correct? My guess is that it's something that broke and hopefully, will not require a complete unit replacement, but instead, just a part replacement.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »

Not sure about parts, but complete assemblies go for around $20
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

Rebuilding the handle mech is not difficult at all. Its more of a pain for me to get them in and out of the cabinet.  The problem on my S+
machines was the handles were out of adjustment due to the bumper cushions being gone or worn out.  Here was my solution. They are still going strong

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=7154.msg63834#msg63834

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »

Rebuilding the handle mech is not difficult at all. Its more of a pain for me to get them in and out of the cabinet.  The problem on my S+
machines was the handles were out of adjustment due to the bumper cushions being gone or worn out.  Here was my solution. They are still going strong

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=7154.msg63834#msg63834

Oh yeah! I forgot my name was "Panky" !  rotflmao
5 ACES

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »

Okay here's an update, but first, I want to once again thank EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU for your help, input, links and time! Without you and this thread, I would have never figured out this weird problem. I successfully took out the handle mechanism and found out the problem right out of the gate. There is a small looking metal box with a spring on it and a roller catch. I noticed that this roller catch was not catching the other gear, that allows it to be pulled back and then "WACK," IGT"s way of recreating the sound of the reels being released. This small roller catch was in front of this gear and not behind it, as though it was designed to be. I fooled with it for about 20 minutes and noticed some bright orange, semi-stiff silicone looking stuff that cushioned everything when the handle pull was complete. It was so worn down, or smashed down to be more precise, that the "click" gear was being allowed to move too far forward, not allowing the small metal box looking thing to catch that gear. I built up the weird orange stuff with duct tape and a dime,  bust gut laughing and it works like flippin new again, not once missing it's target! Put everything back together and pulled the handle over 100 times and no problems! I learned one more thing about my machine and how helpful everyone is on this site!  applause Being absent from NLG's forums for almost a year, I can promise that, THAT will not happen again! Thanks again everybody and it's great to be back!!  yes  You all have a wonderful weekend!!  Dancing Party
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

It's great that you got it working 5 Aces!!!  The Wave
If I left for a year - people would be thinking I was dead! knockout  rotflmao
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »

Bunker, you'd have to BE dead to leave for a year. There's no think about it bust gut laughing

Congradulations on getting it working 5aces, good job Clap
5 ACES

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »

Ahhh, but keep in mind stayouttadabunker, you are the teacher, and we are only the students!  rotflmao You being gone from here for a year, would definitely get some attention, plus a lot of broken slot machines that would be waiting for your expertise in getting them back up and running again!  applause

rotflmao Thanks cowboygames!!
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:23 PM »

Hey! I didn't do a thing!
All I said was for YOU to take it apart!   Tongue Out

Actually, that's how we learn...by taking things apart and trying to put them back together again.

I once had to repair my kerosene monitor heater for my garage
because it was too expensive to have it done at the dealers shop.
It gets a little bit of soot after every year or so
and needs to be cleaned.
So the guy takes it apart, uses some compressed air, puts it back together
with over-priced gaskets
and bills me $300 bucks.  Duh!
Believe me, I only paid that one time!!! ttth

I did some reading on it and learned to do it myself.  Super Hotdog

It gets easier to do every year too  yes
because every time I put it back together - there's less and less screws!    rotflmao
5 ACES

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »

Oh man, that's a horror story for sure! I feel your pain on that one because it's happened to me as well. But like you said, it only has to happen once and then that magically get's a person in learning mode real quick!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.