Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 11:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  IGT S+ LEDs stopped working, machine won't accept coins/bills - FIXED
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT S+ LEDs stopped working, machine won't accept coins/bills - FIXED  (Read 4171 times)
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 698

« on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »

Upon bootup, lights come on, validator cycles properly and everything appears to work, except that, the LEDs are blank on the machine except for the blinking "Insert Coin".  It won't accepts coins or cash.  If I turn the reset key, the SPIN button starts blinking as though it's going through the menus, but the LEDs do not display anything.

Duh! Duh! Duh!

I'm hoping this is a simple fix. Scratch Head
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:57:04 PM by 4 Deuces » Logged
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »

Dave the harness from the power supply to the mother board on a S+ is always a pain. It's about 6 inches long and gets a bad connection at the mother board.

This pic. is of a mother board that I've cut the plug off and soldered the wires directly.

* 001.JPG (439.31 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 277 times.)

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
rjpohl
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 103

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

I don't think the "insert coin" light will blink it the power plug at the MB is the problem.  Another way to repair the power supply plug to motherboard is to cut the 2 green wires need the MB and connect to cabinet.  This will complete the "ground".

Bob

4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »

Hey Buzz, thanks for the quick reply.   I checked the power connection and it still appears good and tight.  I unplugged it, checked the terminals and replugged it.  Then, I checked where it plugs into the power.

I should also mention that the top light blinks slowly and the bottom light blinks quickly.  According to the manual, that means the door is open.  Perhaps the door optics went bad???

Thank you to both.   Hail

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:02:13 PM by 4 Deuces » Logged
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »

Okay, time to admit the full wrath of my destruction.  I added a Mikohn progressive meter.  That part works great in so much as I have the display working, mounted and harnesses made.  I hooked it all up, but no progression.  So, I went back to the manual and discovered I needed to enable dip switch # 5.

So, for the very first time, I removed the MPU and found that the SW1 had been removed.  All of the traces were in tact, but no dip switch.  In all my infinite wisdom, I figured, no problem, I'll solder a wire between the two holes in #5.  Did that, pushed the MPU back in, and it hasn't worked since.

Is the MPU not pushed in all the way?  Should I not have done what I did?   loser Scratch Head
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »

Spank Embarrassed  How frickin' embarrassing!

The MPU wasn't plugged in all the way.  There was an old plastic tie broken and laying across the bottom behind all of the wires in the motherboard, so I couldn't see it.  That was keeping the MPU from going all the way in.  Got a flashlight, practically climbed inside and found it.  All is good now.

Of course, still not progressing, but I'm hoping that's a wiring issue.
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »

Just to close the loop (not that anyone is waiting on a edge of their seat rotflmao  Tongue Out) ... it was a wiring issue.  I didn't realize the pin configuration on a CHAMII+.  With the CHAM oriented so that J7 is on the bottom, the top row is all the odd-numbered pins.  I thought the bottom row was.

13 11 09 07 05 03 01
14 12 10 08 06 04 02

J7

I was hooking up 14, 12 and 04 thinking I was hooking up 13, 11 and 03.  Thanks to other posts, I was able to get it right and everything is working beautifully.  Love the progressive on the S+!

wave
4 Deuces
Resigned NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »

In retrospect, I should have noticed pin 1 by the square in the pictured diagram.   Duh!

So that's how pin 1 is depicted?!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.