Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  FIXED, DISREGARD S-Plus blows 6 amp 24 volt AC fuse Help, pretty please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIXED, DISREGARD S-Plus blows 6 amp 24 volt AC fuse Help, pretty please  (Read 3043 times)
mvco
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 41

« on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »

Hello,

Have always been able to repair an S-Plus easily, getting my butt hammered on this one.

Here is a fun one.  Have an S-plus, newer style with embedded B/A.  It blows the 6 amp 24 volt fuse immediately on power up.  So, I go to try and locate the short.  1st observation, the fuse only blows when the main power connector is connected to J6 at the motherboard.  Removed Motherboard, looking for coins underneath or anything elso I could see.  All looks good.  So, I disconnected every connector to the motherboard, EXCEPT the power to J6.  Now, no fuse blowing.  One by one, I connected each connector to the Motherboard, turn on power, check fuse, on down the line.  
Found the connector where the short is is, J10.  All connectors can be disconnected, and if you plug in only J10 the fuse immediatly blows.  A look at the schematic shows a good portion of the wiring from J10 run to the hopper.  So, I tried disconneting the molex connector that supplies everything to the hopper.  No more fuse blow, and now the machine powers up and runs fine after hooking all the connectors back up to the Motherboard.  (game would not boot with the blown 24 volt fuse, reels would make noise, sometimes run slowly backwards, no dsiplays or full boot)

I figure I have found my short, must be in that relay or wiring around the hopper.  All looks fine, so I pull all terminals off the relay for the hopper, and even the wires to the hopper connector, even though I cannot imagine how a short could exist in the connector without  a hopper even being installed.  No dice!  Fuse still blows anytime the hopper Molex plug is connected, does not blow, with it disconnected, allowing the machine to operate, at least until a pay comes up, and of course the machine goes to a 3200 cose which is expected.

Has anyone had this problem?  Any idea where else in the machine power is going to that would be running through the hopper connector, but obviously having nothing to do with the hopper?  

Hope this all makes sense.

thanks much
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:39:11 PM by mvco » Logged
Simon Barsinister
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 26

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »

Just for the sake of elimination, try opening the top cover on the power supply and see if there happens to be a coin laying across the terminals of the transformer.  Seen this before, especially on games that were recently moved or if it is a Field Service Call with no background on the machine's disposition.
mvco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »

Will check that now, thanks
harp
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 46

Always on the road

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

While you are back there, look up and see if the terminals for the Handle Release Solenoid are not touching the cabinet
mvco
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »

Just got on here to give the good news that the short has been located.  Harp, you were dead on, that is where the problem was. 

Why power to that was routed through the hopper connector is beyond me, but hey, it';s up and running and that's all that matters.

Thanks to all
CVslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 432

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »

Heh, we've had 2 members with that same short in the last month or so. Other one was on an S2000 and i believe it blew the door I/O, cant remember exactly. What are the odds on that, given its such an odd place to short. That will need to go in the vault for future reference...

Great news you were able to get it going Bill! Harp really knows his stuff!  yes

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.