Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 01:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S and S-plus Reel Games. (Moderator: knagl)
| | |-+  S+ Slant Top How do I remove the board
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S+ Slant Top How do I remove the board  (Read 8309 times)
TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 19

« on: February 14, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »

I'm a novice and just bought a slant top 5x 3 Line 3 Coin .25 cent machine. I know slant tops are not worth anything but for $50 and a chance to learn I jumped at the opportunity.

Okay, I've looked at this and pried and jimmied the front panel and I can't get it off.

I am trying to remove the front panel/door to be able to pull out the board and the hopper. I know it can't be this dang difficult but its got me stumped.

I also have a 62-1 error that I've researched and it says I need a new Reel Prom.

So if anyone has a reel Prom # 7902 and the Game Chip is SP731 and what ever else you think I may need please let me know.

Thanks, Tim

* image.jpg (1648.25 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 400 times.)
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:20:32 AM »

Hi Tim-

I believe there's a pin that you lift up to release the front panel (watch your feet -- the panel can fall out and break some toes).  Open the main "hatch" door, and look near where the armrest was for a round metal pin that you lift up, then the front panel door should swing out from the top of the panel.  ...at least, that's how it is on my bartop machine.  Can anyone confirm this for sure?

I can say with certainty that you do not need to remove the front panel door to access the MPU board tray.  It's on the left side, bottom of the machine.  If you notice the shape of the hopper bowl, you'll see that it's designed in such a way that you can rotate the tray assembly 90 degrees while it's still in the base of the machine, and then just eek it out by lifting it up through the main hatch door.

Before you go and buy another chip, inspect the one that's on the board.  Gently remove it, then re-insert it into the board to make sure it's making a good connection in the socket.  Make sure to match the notch on the edge of the chip with the notch on the socket.  Ensure that all of the legs on the EPROM are correctly inserted in the socket, then try again.

If you still get the 62-1, then it's time to post a "WTB" (Want To Buy) ad in the classifieds section of the site, indicating that you're looking for a SS7902 chip for your S+ machine.  If you don't have one, you'll also want a RAM clear chip (just in case -- typically not needed, but good to have on hand for odd situations).  If you have a bill validator, you'll also want a SET chip to be able to activate it in the future.  The set of the clear and SET chips shouldn't cost more than $10 to $20.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »

Kevin is close. Open the main door and look at the main door latch ( machine side ), part of that latch will rotate CW and expose the rod that has to be pulled straight up. Just a hint, hold in the front door with your knees as your pulling up the rod. Another hit, damn that front door hurts when it falls on the top of your foot !! You didn't ask but another hint, when you get ready to  open the top glass, reach over and behind the reels and you will find another rod that must be pulled down to open the glass door. ( You can't see it )

Kevin I pretty sure on this type machine the front door must be removed to get the MPU to clear the cabnet.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »

Okay, I worked on this thing for 2 hours and still no display is coming up. My questions is "could the bad chip(s) cause this or is there a possibility I have a MAJOR PROBLEM?

When I put the board back in securely I noticed that nothing is coming up in the credits or other window. I hit the white reset button and still nothing.

I put a WTB ad up a few moments ago for the chips. http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=28266.0

Thanks to Knagl and Buzz  Clap for helping me figure that front door issue... I'm embarressed to say it took me a good chunck of time to figure it out even after they explained it!

My ad for the chips I need
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=28266.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:50:13 PM by TPMARTIN » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »

Kevin I pretty sure on this type machine the front door must be removed to get the MPU to clear the cabnet.

I worked on a friend's S+ slant top years ago, and I'm embarrassed to say that I never did figure out how to get the front door off.

That said, I absolutely did manage to get the MPU board out using the rotation trick I mentioned earlier.  The hopper bowl on his slant top had a weird little oddly shaped part near the top, and I believe it was designed that way so you could just barely get the board out without removing the front door.  However, there's no disagreement from me that it would be a heck of a lot easier to access it with the front door open!

Okay, I worked on this thing for 2 hours and still no display is coming up.

When I put the board back in securely I noticed that nothing is coming up in the credits or other window.

Well, hang on a second.  Earlier you said you were getting a 62-1 on the display.  Is that correct, and now you're getting nothing on the display?

First and foremost, make sure the machine is OFF when inserting or removing the MPU board.  If you removed it or inserted it with the power on, it is possible you fried some components on the MPU board or the fixed motherboard ("backplane") inside the machine.

Second, if you didn't do that, please check out this post for a possible solution.  The machine shown in that thread is an upright machine, however the slant top machines have a similar power connector between the power supply and the motherboard, and are subject to the same issue.  With the power off, I'd remove and reseat that connector a few times, then try turning the power back on and see if it makes a difference.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »

One other thing to look at, you had the MPU out so take a look at the pins in the connection between the MPU and the mother board.

I have quire a large data base of SS chips and I don't have anything for a SS 7902,  7901 is as close as I can get. it's a 92.55 % chip.

TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

Gentleman, Thanks for all the help, I think I'm getting closer to figuring this out.

knagl is correct I did state it had a 62-1 error but I spoke incorrectly. Before I bought this machine I asked the guy if it had any error codes and he said it was a 62-1 code that showed up on the display, but I never saw the code.

But when I got it home and unloaded it I tried to fire it up and there was nothing. The reels didn't spin and there was nothing on the displays.

I have taken the board out and reset the chips and they all looked good and put it back together and the same issue, no spin or display.

So I'm guessing the previous owner tried to turn it on without the board and fried it, is that what it sounds like to you? If so what suggestions do you have and what should I expect to pay for a new board?

Thanks again

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:45 AM »

So I'm guessing the previous owner tried to turn it on without the board and fried it, is that what it sounds like to you?

Not necessarily.  In fact, now more than ever I'd suspect the power connector I referenced in the last paragraph of my Reply #4 above.  Please follow the link I mentioned in that post to inspect the power connection harness in question, and more than likely it will bring your machine back to life.  If nothing else, it will get you closer to getting the machine fully functional.

TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

Thanks, I will check that when I get home this evening.

I read through the different links and they all say the connector can be purchased from a vendor listed above but there is no vendors listed.

What exactly is the piece called that I may need, and who may have it?

Thanks

Tim
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »

I would call it the power cable that goes from the power supply to the mother board.

Now if there is a weak link in a S+, it's this power cable. Pictured below is a fix I do to them. It may not be the easiest way but when done it's good for life. I would suggest cutting one wire at a time from the mother board plug, slide the shrink tube onto the wire and then solder the wire to the mother board. ( One wire at a time you can't get them mixed up )

* 001.JPG (439.31 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 438 times.)

TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Buzz, is there a premade cable I could buy? If so who, where should I look.

I'm not really good with a solder gun and lack confidence to even attempt such a feat.

I can't say how much I appreciate your help and knowledge.

Tim
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »

Tim, start by inspecting the connector and inserting and removing it a half dozen times.  Just that action will scrape off enough of the crap that it will start working again, at least for a while.  Then we can get your errors cleared and get the machine up and running.  At some point, you can then choose to replace that harness.  Honestly, though, just the action of removing and re-inserting the plug a few times should be enough to bring it back to life for a while.

TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »

Ok, I did what you said and yes there is a spot that has burned. See attached.

I removed and reset several times and it still won't work. I will try some more but I may need some additional thoughts.

* image.jpg (2039.29 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 333 times.)
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »

With the plug in place, the MPU board in place, and the power turned on, are the reels "stiff", or are they as free-spinning as they are with the power off?

Also, are you able to test the fuses with a meter to ensure none of them happened to blow?  Remove, test, and replace them one at a time as they may be different voltage fuses (I can't remember off the top of my head).

TPMARTIN
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

Yes, the reels with the power on are stiff.

I looked at the fuses, looked fine, but have not tested them. I will test them this evening or in the morning.

Thanks for all your help

Tim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.