Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Arcade Games **Video**
| | |-+  Centipede Atari game
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Centipede Atari game  (Read 9475 times)
robert
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »

Hello,
     I have primerily been into Sigma slots until now.  Have aquired an IGT S+ and an Atari Centipede arcade game.  My question is on the Centipede atari game.  I have no monitor or sound.  All seems to be well, as in not blowing fuses or shorts that I know of.  Any advise?  I don't know where to start.  Thanks for any and all advise. 
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »

power supply for sure no game board power = no pic  but you may want to turnup bightness on tv to see if its on at all
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »

First things' first...

Check fuses in the bottom of the cabinet. The fuse holders and bridge rectifier like to cause problems.

Once that's done, check the output of the AR II board. If you don't have your DC going in then check the fuses & bridge rectifier again. If you don't have various voltages coming out of it then rebuild the board. You can get kits from Bob Robers' website.

If you have voltage going to the board then you have a board problem.

If you can turn up the screen control on the flyback and see a white screen then you have a board problem. If not, check for 110v into the monitor. If it's there then you have a monitor problem too.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
robert
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:03 PM »

Thanks for the advise guys.  A couple of things...I don't know what a flyback is.  Also, which board is the ARII?  I have check and replaced all fuses twice.  I am assuming the rectifiers are under the main power supply on the one.  I start checking there.  I appreciate your help.  Thanks.
channelmaniac

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »

Well,

Take a step back and download the manual.

http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Centipede.man.pdf

It'll tell you what the AR II board is. It's the audio amp/voltage regulator board.

The flyback is the big transformer on the monitor. You can easily ID it as the part that has the big red wire coming out of it that goes to the suction cup on the side of the picture tube.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

robert
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 02:58:37 AM »

Gotcha.  Now I know what those thingys are.  Like I said, slots (non video) I can deal with.  Monitors are completly alien to me.  I've got the manual & am gonna do a bunch of reading.  At least afterwords, I may not be so ignorant.  Thanks again.  I really appreciate it!
robert
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »

Okay,  here's what I've got now.  Checked some voltage etc.  I have power going to the monitor chassis.  I found a broken wire at the power supply.  Fixed & now the game plays "blind".  It'll accept quarters, accept credits, play with sound & controls only it has now image.  Monitor neck does not glow.  I can hear what I think is the monitor (insert electrical sound) upon power up.  Reel slots are one thing, but I've no experience with monitors.  Lots of volts I understand.  From what I can tell, the monitor is a G07?  Any suggestions from anyone?  Thanks again.
channelmaniac

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »

If it's a G07, check the fuses then look at the flyback transformer. The G07 has a white one. Look at it for cracks in the body - sometimes even with stuff oozing out.

If the fuses are blown and the flyback is blown then you simply need to order a rebuild kit from Bob Roberts' web site. It comes with caps, horizontal output transistor, fuses, and a flyback transformer. It's terribly simple to solder in - except for one capacitor that is mislabeled on the board's silk screen.

That one capacitor actually is installed backwards from what the silk screen says. Pay attention to the orientation when you remove the caps and you'll be fine. Cap kits are cake to install if you can solder.

robert
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

Thanks.  You're exactly right!  Transformer is cracked with brownish (poo) goo oozing out.  I just checked out bob's site.  Will definately be ordering from him soon.  Thanks again!!

* flyback.jpg (323.96 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 331 times.)
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »

don,t know what they charge for rebuild kit  but at game auctions you can find a new working 19in  ina game for under 50 bucks  one in winston salem  nc on sat
robert
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »

That sounds like the way to go.  Unfortunatly, I'm in central Ohio.  I've never heard of one around here. 
robert
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »

Been a little while, but got my rebuild kit from Bob Roberts & have just started my soldering project.  Disassembly was a piece of cake!  Hopefully, everything will work once I get it reassembled.
mkd3b
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »

Hows the project going with the monitor   I picked up a non working centipede as well and had to go thru many of the connections as well.  Same thing finally and the machine had sound and played but no picture.   Ended up with a replacement monitor finallly after looking for a while and no luck capping the old one.  Exchange the go7 to a wells gardner and Bingo the game is Alive and well   Saved another Gem  Curious on your progress

ArtD
robert
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »

Thanks for asking.  I've since rebuild the trackball, recovered the control panel, rebuilt the ARII board, and got the coin mechanisms working.  Works and plays very well.  We enjoy it quite often.  Unfortunately, it has led to a horrible problem.  Now I have a 4 player cyberball game, last duel, defender, frogger, space duel, and soon to be getting a space invaders and 2 parts machines from another fellow.  I have a slot machine traded to a guy for a MS pacman.  I just need to get with him to swap machines.  My defender was converted to a trivia whiz game, but I bought a multi williams board with defender, stargate, joust, bubbles, splat, and sinistar on it.  As you can see, I've let it get out of hand!  How are you enjoying your centipede?  Do you need any help?  Please let me know if you have any problems or parts as I may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.  Also, I frequently visit http://forums.arcade-museum.com.  Those guys have been super helpful and have a wtb / wts section.  I go by Roburt on that sight.  Good luck.
mkd3b
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »

Oh boy I see you fixed you machine but didnt get it fixed because they have multipliied .  Same problem here   I have 5 slots two pins A jukebox and another arcade multicade to keep the now working centiped company.  Its really amazing how these thing s multiply.

ArtD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.