Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Progressive Controllers, Displays and Slot Toppers
| |-+  TOP THIS!!! Slot Topper Topic!
| | |-+  My new Garfield topper is alive!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new Garfield topper is alive!  (Read 89777 times)
2Moons
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »

The straight story about voltage & current for Garfield toppers. I took a look at the boards and found that they were meant to run on 12 volts DC. I lit up every light on mine, & measured the current draw. It measured 1.1 amps @ 12vdc. I found that the candle lamps are incandesce lamps and are current hogs. With both lit up they drew over .3 amps. I replaced them with 2 color changing Leds that I got from Zone Auto. My candle now slowly drifts through every color of the rainbow. Its kind of gaudy, but I like gaudy. After I changed the lamps in the candle the total current draw was .710 amps. I’m waiting for the flasher module & 12volt switching wall wart power supply that I have ordered from Hong Kong. If you have an honest 1 amp power supply your in fat city. Not all power supplies deliver the voltage & current that they have printed on them. It’s easy to tell if your transformer is over rated. When you plug it in and the voltage drops below 12 volts and it gets hot, that a sure fire way to tell that your power supply is over rated. If you leave it plugged in it will try to deliver voltage until it melts down.
#1 Use only 12 Volts DC #2 Get a power supply that will delver 1amp @ 12 volts DC
If you don’t follow these two rules, don’t whine when something melts down.

* Topper.JPG (596.43 KB, 2557x1069 - viewed 239 times.)
Thor777
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 415

Slave to my CAT's !!!

« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »

Awesome..Thanks for the testing and laying out the straight scoop! as I will be getting 3 of these in my near future !

My CAT is smarter than your honor student  !!!
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »

I meet with this Gentlemen a few days ago and came to the conclusion that he knows what he's talking about.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2009, 01:48:50 AM »

Good stuff 2moons!! applause applause
There's nothing better than good instructions and documentation for future fixes...
What you've posted will definelty help someone out in the future...kudo's to ya man!
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »

Very good information in this thread, I'm sure it will help many in the future.

K+
Thanks,
Wayne

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
ashyron
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 255

RIP Dad. I love you. 5-26-10

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

I'm not making any suggestions. I do think Ron or I aren't the right people to give the right advice. I hope a electrician will jump in here and help us both out!!  Help Help

Thanks for that Buzz. Hail  I was just going to refer enforcer over to Sommers reply on the tests he done.  I just followed his recommendations for the wiring. 

I have been reading up on all this and have gotten tons of advise and what I have come up with is these LED lights are to be run on DC power only and if you have it on AC they will eventually wear out from the wrong current.  Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but soon..... and for the rest of your life.  Oh sorry, darn movie quotes that pop into my head. frying pan frying pan

So what I am thinking of doing is giving Buzz's idea a try and trying to wire it direct from the slot machine as long as I can find some DC power in there.  And suggestions where there is DC power in an s2000?

Well, it's been almost 2 years.  I'm kinda back. Undecided
Railroad94

Total Karma Storms: 225

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:21 PM »

In the top box do you have the extra board in the back?  Gives you multiple plugins for  13vdc,25vdc and netplex hardware.  You can also look on the back wall behind the BV and you should find a power plug for the backlit reel controller and if not used you can grab that.
2Moons
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »

Hello All
I bought this switching power supply off eBay. It's rated @ over twice what I need, so hopefully it will deliver a solid 12 volts DC @ 1 amp with out over heating. It's rated @ 2 amps & if i only put a 1 amp load on it, it should deliver a solid 12 volts dc & just be loafing along.
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160330736130&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
Have a good one
2Moons
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 48

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »

When you get your box, try to open it up when the delivery guy is their. Or use a video camera and tape it when you open the package.
My nephew ordered a laptop from eBay. When he opened it up there was a brick in the box. The shipper stuck to his story that when he shipped it the computer was inside. Had a hell of a time trying to get his money back from paypal. Basically because the seller said he shipped a laptop and the buyer was trying to scam for insurance.

I wish you the best and hope that you do have three topper safe and sound with no shipping damage.
Please post pictures, I also like the Saturday night one.   yes yes yummy

Well, the 3 toppers arrived yesterday.  Like the Rodney Dangerfield and SNL/Church Lady/Dana Carvey - really neat !  Although, a bit dusty with some masking tape attached to the back of all of them, they were packed fairly well.  Really had expected bricks to be in the box since fedex said the shipping weight was 39 pounds for three toppers ??  However, they are really big and heavy after all....Now to get them up and running !! Hello ashyron ?????  Tongue Out Tongue Out

Anyone have any thoughts about using Novus to try to remove fine scratches off the toppers ?
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »

Congratulations.  applause wave Ecstatic / Top Award The Wave Dancing Party
So glad that worked out for you.

I would definitely use Novus for the plastics on the toppers.
Please post pictures when you have time.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
ashyron

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

When you get your box, try to open it up when the delivery guy is their. Or use a video camera and tape it when you open the package.
My nephew ordered a laptop from eBay. When he opened it up there was a brick in the box. The shipper stuck to his story that when he shipped it the computer was inside. Had a hell of a time trying to get his money back from paypal. Basically because the seller said he shipped a laptop and the buyer was trying to scam for insurance.

I wish you the best and hope that you do have three topper safe and sound with no shipping damage.
Please post pictures, I also like the Saturday night one.   yes yes yummy

Well, the 3 toppers arrived yesterday.  Like the Rodney Dangerfield and SNL/Church Lady/Dana Carvey - really neat !  Although, a bit dusty with some masking tape attached to the back of all of them, they were packed fairly well.  Really had expected bricks to be in the box since fedex said the shipping weight was 39 pounds for three toppers ??  However, they are really big and heavy after all....Now to get them up and running !! Hello ashyron ?????  Tongue Out Tongue Out

Anyone have any thoughts about using Novus to try to remove fine scratches off the toppers ?

Enforcer, use the same pictures and it should work on the other toppers too.

What is Novus?

Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:14 PM »

Ron, Novus plastic polish is a three part cleaner, polish and scratch remover system ... Restores And Polishes Plastic Surfaces. Many Uses For Novus Plastic Cleaner & Polish.

#1 is a clean & shine.
#2 is for fine scratches
#3 is for heavy scratches.

Google for Novus plastic polish. It will give you places to buy and it's many uses.

Ron (r273)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:40:30 PM by r273 » Logged
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »

i will follow the same wiring instructions ashyron.

7 or 8 new toppers went up on ebay today - including another Jeopardy and a Blues Brothers.  I would love that Blues Brothers one....look out !
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »

I would love that Blues Brothers one....look out !
[/quote]

Does that mean you are bidding on it ?

jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

I got my Garfield topper and was so psyched !! My wife is not a real Garfield fan so I created this:  I bought plastic glass at Home Depot and cut out the shape of Garfield.   I'm going to get this printed at kinko's and place it on the glass. 

* topper.jpg (808.85 KB, 3562x2365 - viewed 260 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Wow!  Hail

That's pretty fantastic Munch!  applause applause applause Can't wait to see it lit up... yes
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »

Thanks -  The only think I have to worry about are the Garfield eyes.  They have different color LED lights and it may bleed through.
2Moons
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »

Hello All:
I guested right about the 2 amp 12 dc supply that i bought on eBay. It came in the mail today & I hooked it up and let it run all day. The PS barely gets warm. this is an over kill, but I'm sure it work well & last a long time. When I get the flasher from Hong Kong, I'm good to go.
Good Luck 2Moons

* GPS.JPG (563.82 KB, 1613x1365 - viewed 237 times.)
enforcer
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »

[/quote]

Buzz, would love it, but shipping is showing up at over $38, making it an $88+ item without it creeping up even more before it closes....I think I will take a pass....
ashyron

« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2009, 05:48:39 AM »

[/quote]

Does that mean you want it Buzz??? Scratch Head bust gut laughing  I am pretty much out of room for toppers so now it's time to start looking for decorations.  WOO HOO
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:53:40 AM by ashyron » Logged

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »

No I don't want it !!!!

ashyron

« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2009, 06:19:33 AM »

No I don't want it !!!! 

Oh I was just joking.  I didn't figure you would want it.  If I remember correctly you didn't want the ones you got but you like them now. propeller

2Moons
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2009, 06:36:59 PM »

Hello All
I got my 6 output led switcher from Hong Kong. I was sad to discover that it had only 2 channels, and it's not going to work to well for 3 channel chase lights. I have one of the RBG 3 channel switcher with RC on the way. That one should work great for the chase lights on Garfield. When i get it I'll give all an update.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1SET-12V-5050-SMD-LED-RGB-FLASH-30CM-STRIP-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ170344300826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a94fc11a&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30
2moons
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 60

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »

Hello All
I got my 6 output led switcher from Hong Kong. I was sad to discover that it had only 2 channels,
2moons

geee.. Duh!.i bought one 4 output lol..probably only have 1 channel then?..lol..cause your 6 output have only 2 channel.. propeller can't wait to get my 4 output?  : Duh! frying pan
? i think these will go to my high speed pinball mc,..? propeller

IGT S-2000...
Sorry about my grammar..lol..it is my second language.!!lmao...
sommer
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 60

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2009, 02:29:46 AM »

ashyron...i removed the chaser controller unit out of your old topper and the rest is junk? bust gut laughing the unit is work great...have some wire pic. u might needed?  propeller

i recomm,to all? use 12vdc(dc) 2amp or higher..3amp? wave

* chaser unit.JPG (76.72 KB, 800x600 - viewed 242 times.)

IGT S-2000...
Sorry about my grammar..lol..it is my second language.!!lmao...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.