Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 09:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Universal glass and reel strips
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Universal glass and reel strips  (Read 4775 times)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« on: September 16, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »

ORIGINAL THREAD STARTED BY: uniman « on: May 12, 2007, 07:08:59 AM »

Just wondring what is considered to to "standard sizes" for glass and reel strips? I have glass (belly and payline) and reel strips from a Universal "Diamond Deluxe", another knock-off.

Is there an FAQ with glass sizes?
Every piece of Universal glass I own has the Universal name and copywrite year at the bottom of each glass. If the glass has the protective metal edging, it will be underneath the metal edging. Usually at bottom left corner.
Universal lists eight (8) different cabinet styles in their manual. There are three different size reel and belly glass. There five(5) different sizes of top award glass. I know there's more. After the manual was published they came out with round tops. Looks like they just cut the rectangular 8-1/8 x19-5/16 top glass with existing graphics.
They also have the machines with the lower lefthand side BV. The belly glass on these were narrowed.
Universal did not make a slant top until the Ultra Series was put in production (1995-96) Ultra Series are much wider and bigger than old uni's. 
If your buying Universal glass, always know what size you need and what size your getting!

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »
Reel Strips
I have yet to see a set of Universal reel strips for sale on eBay that did not include the reels and reel assembly. I was once told that Universal reel strips (not including the Ultra Series) are next to impossible to remove! I have never tried to remove one.
The standard Universal reel assembly is 12" wide and should have the 9-pin connector for each reel. (see 1st pic)
The reel strips on this assembly are 3-3/16 wide and about 27" long. Each reel strip should have the copywrite by Universal and the year of the copywrite on the right-front side of the strip.
The assembly should have a black and white Universal sticker on the side with the game number written on it.

I do have a reel assembly that is smaller and does not have the 9-pin connectors. What machine it belongs to, I don't know. It has Jokers Wild strips, copywrite 1990, and has the game number 8630-5LR on the side of the assembly. The reel strips are 2-1/2" wide and 27" long. The assembly is 10" wide. (see 2nd pic)
I thought this might fit a narrow cabinet, but I have a narrow cabinet reel glass and it doesn't line up.

If you buy reel strips and assemblies, make sure the connectors are correct for your machine and make sure the game number is correct. (I have run across game number on assembly not matching reel strips)

Ultra Series
The Ultra Series reel assemblies are individual units for each reel. Each assembly is labeled 1st, 2nd, 3rd as to their location. Each assembly is pinned so you can't mis-install them. All Ultra Series assemblies are backlit. The right side of the reel is mounted to the motor. The left side of the reel is double-backed taped to the strip and is not mounted to anything. It just "floats". The rigidity of the reel strip holds it.  (Ultra Series strip and reel in pic 3)
The reel strips are easy to remove and install. They are numbered, the smallest number is first and then the second, and then third. What is really nice is that the strips and reel assemblies will work in slant tops or uprights, inter-changeable!
The strips are 3-3/4" wide and 27" long. All Ultra Series strips have that gray backing with cutouts where the symbols for the backlighting.

* dbl-frt-reels.jpg (38.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 314 times.)

* jokers-wild-reels.jpg (29.92 KB, 640x480 - viewed 302 times.)

* dbl-mq-reel.jpg (33.84 KB, 480x640 - viewed 275 times.)

* reels.jpg (48.74 KB, 480x640 - viewed 296 times.)

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
I have picked up reels and strips when I see them for Universals. I have about three sets that came in a package deal that look faded/yellowed. Like the color of a brown egg.
So are they really faded/yellowed?
Sure won't think they are made that way.
But they are consistant in color and all the symbols have great color. Why would this happen to some but not others. I suspect bad paper.
Anyone know why and how often they see this?

* reels-compare.jpg (42.51 KB, 640x480 - viewed 298 times.)

StatFreak

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
After seeing Idesign's IGT bonus 4-reeler with those nice back-lit reels I realized my Uni Ultra's with back-lit reels needed help. On most Ultra games the symbols are big and when they are lit, it looks like a small lit square behind the symbol. One problem is that there is only one bulb per line, IGT has two. The real problem I found was that the back-lite assembly is just too close to the reel strips. No way to adjust them, so I took them out and cut them back on my table saw. Now that was chancy, but I have spares. It worked great. Now I have decent back-lit reels.
Here is a pic of an orignal assembly (left) and one cut (right)
The next pic is my Double Marquise machine with original assembly. Notice bottom bar on the 3-bar not lit and half of the bottom bar on the 2-bar not lit.
Third pic is my Title Match with back-lite assemblies cut. Much better.
I have more cutting to do!

* MVC-007S.JPG (19.97 KB, 640x480 - viewed 294 times.)

* MVC-013S.JPG (25.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 288 times.)

* MVC-009S.JPG (38.68 KB, 640x480 - viewed 303 times.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.