Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 03:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Need help and schematic on Universal Ultra series sound card
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help and schematic on Universal Ultra series sound card  (Read 2652 times)
startek2
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: August 14, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »

I have come to the mountain in hopes of enlightenment....I have a ultra series machine and there is no sound.....I opened up the sound box and I saw a chip with a big hole in it.....I replaced it (ULN8203AN) and still no joy....again I looked closer at the board and found a shorted diode I assume it was a 1N914 (guessing).  I replaced it, sounded better when the game came on but still no joy....I am assuming I blew out the chip I replaced because I hadn't spotted that shorted diode.  I have ordered some more chips however....although this is not a large board and I suppose I could sit down and draw out a diagram, does anyone here have a schematic for this infernal thing??  Thanks oh great slot tech gurus in advance!!
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:24 PM »

Sound out on an ultra is very common.  The cure is not yet documented.  Can you please share the position of chip and the diode?  You said that the machine sounds better?  Does that means it now makes some sound?
jbshocks
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »

I just noticed that you said that you opened the sound box,  Is that where the chip you replaced is located?  The sound trouble is typically on the MPU.  I would suggest testing the board in working machine.  I don't see a location in your profile there may be a uni owner near you.  I am in SE Michigan and would test your board for you.
startek2
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »

thanks for responding....i had the cpu sent out for repair and verified there is sound coming out of it....when i get back to the shop i will verify that with my o-scope....but i was hoping for a schematic if you have one as it is a simple board......i have read in another thread the sound chips tend to go bad but that is all i know for now.....akk i will have some better descriptions when i get back to it......but ya there was definitely ia shorted diode...(one of 4) i don't know if it is being used in a bridge circuit or some kind of phaze or noise circuit, that is why i need a schematic.....but i will definitely post my findings here.  this is the chip opposite the actual amplifier on the opposite edge of the sound card.
uniman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »

Jbshocks is right, most sound trouble is on the mpu, but I have had at least one bad sound card.

I have several spare sound cards, if your looking for one give me a pm.

No known schematics for that card.

Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.