Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Universal Reel/Video Games. (Moderator: uniman)
| | |-+  Universal newbie needs info on this slot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Universal newbie needs info on this slot  (Read 3149 times)
CYRIL1973
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« on: January 24, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

Hi,

Universal machines are said to be stong and reliable. I  will have this slot pretty soon. Could anyone tell me when this machine was manufactured ( more or less) , is this game interesting?

Thankssss

* image6453.jpg (58.99 KB, 563x756 - viewed 305 times.)
uniman
Topic Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »

My old thinkpad laptop with games list is in storage right now. But I know that game is a clone of Midas Touch.
Believe Midas Touch was around 1990.
Now the cabinet and internals could be anywhere from 1986 to 1999. They won't have year of manufacture unless it is after.........1992 I believe.  Scratch Head
Look for a Y92 or Y93, etc on the cabinet nameplate below the handle. That would be the year of cabinet manufacture. Universal didn't put year of manufacture until Nevada made them, again somewhere around 1992.
The reel strips should have a copywrite date on them, I'm thinking 1990.
I think the board will be an 8116, but could be an 8800. I think Midas Touch was available on the 8800 too. Need to check on that, not totally sure.

The game itself has a lot of small hits so frequency of hits is high. The jackpot is a bit hard to hit. On my Midas Touch I like to set it up to payout on every win. This generates a lot of coins hitting the tray and for me more fun to play.

Hope that helps!
Jim
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »

Ok, the game number should be 9120. So your reel strips would most likely have a 1992 copywrite on them. If it is the original cabinet the nameplate should be stamped with the year of manufacture like Y92. And it will be stamped in the Model number box as there is no date of manufacture box on the nameplate!  knockout  Go figure!

It has been my theory that Universal used the year of development for all their part numbers including eprom numbers. The board 8116 developed in 1981. The game number 9120 would be in 1991. I have found copywrites only on reel strips and they are almost always one year later than the game number year. (Ultra Series not included, they had copywrites on eprom files too)
CYRIL1973
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:48 AM »

Thanks for the infos.

This machine was stored for months without being turned on, do you think I should have a Low battery tilt when I turn it on?
uniman
Topic Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

Universal's do not have a low battery code. What they have is a RAM error code that indicates the battery has failed. A bit after the fact. Believe the code is 12.
The battery is a rechargable NiCd battery soldered to the board. And they last a long time so it's a 50/50 chance you will see a 12. Even if you do you can perform a RAM clear by pushing the small button on the board while starting up the machine. This will clear the RAM.Then leave the machine on for several hours, shut it off for awhile and restart it. If error 12 doesn't come back than the battery has recharged and is ok.
Also, take the time to examine the battery for leakage as it will/can damage the board. Replace it with another NiCd if it is suspect.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.