Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+  Bally E1208 -13 /E1090-84-1 Info & Either worth buying?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally E1208 -13 /E1090-84-1 Info & Either worth buying?  (Read 15846 times)
rainman
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 10

« on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:37 AM »

Hi All,

I always been a fan of slots and now want to add one (or two) to my game room.  I'm looking for an older machine and a person at work has two for sale. Both Bally's
the first is a E1208-13 a quarter machine (really like the size on this one) and a E1090-84 (or34)-1 a nickel machine, which has a problem it does power up don't know anymore at the moment, was going check for any errors code.  Got some pics and going to see them this weekend. After check on the web I think these are the 1st gen of  "electronic machine" that had issues. The owner thinks it a very minor problem with the nickel machine...right... LOL
Looking for some good advice . ...are either one of these machine worth getting?  asking price is $200 a piece... they were purchased in 2000 and sat in a game room for the last 12 years with little play.

Thanks

Ray
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:44:04 AM »

Hi and Welcome to New Life Games.  wave  The quarter Bally for $200 is a good price, the non working one depending on the machines over all condition, any where from $50 to $100. The parts to fix these can still be found and they are not all that hard to work on. I my self work on these Bally's as do others here. The non working machine could need only a fuse or just have a burnt wire on a boards plug. Won't know until your about to try powering it up. The fun is in the hunt and learning how they work. Next thing you know your 2 grows to 4. Then you know your hooked. Keep us posted and post pics when possible.

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate the input  I worked on some Williams pinball machines of the same era, so I was hoping  working on the slots would be similar.  I'm  glad to hear parts are  still available to me that was on of the biggest factors in buying one or both.
Can you tell me the break down in the model # - game name, year  etc..... Also  I'm finding it hard to find a good database on the slots
Espeically in the E series...  I was lucky enough to get the FO-650-12 Electronic Slot Operators Manual.

Thanks,

Ray  
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »

Hi Ray,  I don't know of any web sight like the Internet pinball database for slot machines. I don't have any information on breaking down the model numbers. The person who possible can is Barry Fox out of Foxsslot found on the Spencer's section on the home page. He has manuals and part too. Machines starting with 1000 are the earlier versions and used a few different boards. The MPU's had a daughter board and 50V reel reader boards. The 2000's had a single board MPU and 5V reel reader boards. Now there are exceptions to what I just said too. Best thing to do is invest in a manual because I don't know of any free down loads for one.

Gary

nightmaretony
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members

Total Karma Storms: 100

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:48:33 PM »

Roger's web site  has trhe Bally manual scanned nicely, a useful repair thing right there. http://jackpot7.freeyellow.com/index.html

The board technology for the Bally 1000 or 2000 series is pretty identical to their pinball technology except for one ugly twist.

It uses the super rare 2650 cpu.

The battery issue of the Bally 17s and 35s is also common as heck on the Ballys. One other mistake, the 1000s use an upper ram board with the same rot issue.

I am designing a new ram board replacement for the 1000 and a new mpu in general using the muich more common 65C02 as a kind of a hacking tool so you can program your own slot machine. Wierd programming project time Smiley

Am wishi8ng there was indeed a database of the Bally machine and personality rom types.....

Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »

Keep us posted no your progress on the new ram board. I'll have to go look at that down load for the manual. Thanks again. Gary

nightmaretony

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »

Thanks. I have the schematic entirely drawn up. It is not the same as the original since I have it to allow using 6115 RAMS or the 5101s. It uses jumpers to enable the 6116 chips. Also, it CAN allow a batterey but in a fit of smartness, it goes to a 3 pin connector so tjhe bttery will be in a holder velcroed to the side. Optional, I hear the machine can work without a battery.

One thing important, the board is NOT a direct plug in, but it solders in. This helps get past the biggest problem in the ram board design.

I have a ram board with me this morning at my parent's house, going to see about certain things at the electronics store to get some items to make sure of it going. All parts should be Digikey available, though.

Also, I do plan to sell both assembled but you can also buy the bare board only and purchase the parts....

and if you wonder my skills as an unknown, here is another project, a new pinball computer I am designing, go to nightmarepark dot com and click on the pinball mind link.
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

Hi Gary,

1st off thanks again for sharing your knowledge!   I got the person to drop the price to $175.00 on the quarter machine and have a appointment to see them both next week. I also got a hold of  "the complete Service Manual For Series E  1980-1986. It has allot of great info;  such as that some parts are interchangeable between the 1000 & 2000 series like the hopper board etc...  Stopped by my  local game room place Games People Play " http://www.games-peopleplay.com/ " and had a few 1000's and 2000's. Their on site tech who does board repairs say the 1000 series are  challenging but are good machines once you get them working. also they said the number after the dash "-"  ie- 1208-13 stand for the market the machine was operated in. 

Hi Tony,

I would be very interest buying one of your ram & mpu boards when you start to sell them,  are you going to etch the boards yourself?

Checked out your website pretty intense & very cool!

Ray

nightmaretony

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

Ray: Thanks. I do the board design and will farm out the board manufacture., I had my older board designs sent out to China, such as the Fear IO in the electronics page. I will try an American company back East my best friend recommended.

I will definitely be announcing the RAM board on here when it is ready and tested. Lots of market, so tis worth it. A nice friend also sent me a rare unit, a Bally E series test fixture I will be using towards the design and testing of this puppy.

And before I forget from my unknown, used to do game design and repair at Romstar and SNK which explains the avatar :

And for giggles, go to youtube, check out nightmaretony2. The attract mode for the pinball is on there, plus you can see what I look like in the 2 motel 13 videos as I am a goofy vampire doing a stage show. I am the older cranky vampire with glasses :

Gary: Also thanks on the knowledge you brought in to share Smiley

rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »

Hey Tony,
 Checked out your you-tube videos..... pretty cool stuff!  You sure did allot with 7 segments LED's in the attract mode.... I was impressed....... Also, you make a cool funny vampire and you appeared very comfortable acting and looked like you were enjoying do it.... maybe you have missed your calling !  applause

Ray
nightmaretony

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »

Ray: thanks. That  was my first time on stage, I had it planned a different way but ended up pinch hitting it. I am hoping this year to make a wilder show as a mad scientist lab and vampire. Yesterday, I picked up THE perfect prop for comedy, a 1940s vintage dentist drill. There has GOt to be a joke involving a dentist drill and a vampire in there somewheres!

Thanks on the 7 segment compliment. I was asked to figure out a way to make the Bally home pinballs work again since the F8 cannot be gotten. What you saw was 65C02 assembly language and a pretty wild program. So it will become a piggyback board for the bally pin. I was being a joke brat again, bally brain, pinball mind.

The only thing slowing me down on things, lots of doctor visits due to cancer. Will beat it but tis taking forever to get things rolling though. Sigh...
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 01:53:29 AM »

Hey Tony,

Those old dentist drills are scary as H3LL! I remember, I was 6 the year was 1968 and my grandfather took me to a old dentist (he was at least 80) with on of those 1940's drill (if you're 3 stooge fan you saw them allot)  and I still remember the nasty smell of burning tooth & the smoke! Every since then I hate the sound of the dentist drill!!!

I remember assembly language but it been along time, I still program but its more for the web on a Unix box.

Very Sorry to hear you going through a rough time with your health...  hang in there Bud your get through it ...... I wish you the Very Best !  Cool Thumbs-Up

Ray
nightmaretony

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:32 AM »

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/img-hydroponics/vintage-emesco-teledyne-no-90n-dental-drill-handpiece_350449836686.jpg  (not my picture but the exact model I got.. there has GOT to be a joke involving the vampire and one of these! Cheesy

I still do assembly, I used it for programming arcadse games way back when and I still use it. C is an easier language but for things like pinballs, there ARE some issues with timing, so I won't touch it.

I will do ok, even though I am a stage 4. kdiney cancer whciih spread to the left lung, also got little tiny nodules all over both lungs. No pain, just a ton of coughing. Kidney coming out 2-4 weeks from now at loma linda, which is pretty highly regarded. And my usual sense of humor, going to post a picture onf acebook of me in a bathtub covered with ice and underneath it: 'Ok, where's my kidney?"

And besides, a ton of projects and the bally 1000 board repair and ram board replacement are ramping up so darned fast, it would be a waste to pass on without getting things going, you know? Smiley

rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:53:52 AM »

Hey Tony,

I 'm Cheering for you Man!  WOOT! WOOT! Fight the good fight, you will make it... ...Besides I'll need your expertise to help me on those to 1000 E slots  YOU ROCK!!!

Dracula This is a scary vampire ..NOT!

Ray
nightmaretony

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:34 AM »

Thanks man, and you betcha. These ballys call to me and want me around. The most exciting project to me is de4signing a hacker;s mpu which would give you the source code so you can program your own win codes into it. It wouldnt use the old code at all, it would be 65C02 based.

Still not onto them, main prject right now, doing an atari pinball machine and modifying it to use a balyl pinball power supply since the missing power supply is made of unobtanium....
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

UPDATE: I wound up buying the Bally E series 1208 quarter machine for $100.00 plus it had almost $20 in quarters in the coin hopper...bonus! The seller wanted $200. but it wouldn't coin up and had an error code on it. After I got it home I saw a loose wire to not original coin comparitor. With some help from fellow member Amachanic I got it working!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:16:47 AM by rainman » Logged
nightmaretony

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

Ray: Congrats and SCOOORE!

1st advice, cut out the battery on the board PRONTO. You can replace with a battery wired and velcroed in place farther down the cabinet wall.

am now installing kicad on my parent's computer this very second, so I can pr9int how the ram board loks and deliver the final board to a board house for teh pinball computer project...can hopefully post a picture of the ram board. I am waiting for an internal pic of the 1000 area where the board mounts because there are 3 holes I am tempted to use as mounting holes...
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »

Keep up the good work on the Bally boards.  applause  Without people like you we wouldn't be able to keep these classic slots and pinballs working..  +1 (Karma, or whatever)   I'm glad to help rainman.

nightmaretony

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »

Gary: thanks on getting a nice guy going in this E1000 wrold we have on here. (I still do my first 2 job games, so if you have any questions on Romstar or SNK games, Smiley

Ray: glad you be in with a machine working again. Smiley
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »

Amachanic  thanks for putting up with all my questions I'm learning Scratch Head

Hey Tony,

Are you talking about the battery on the MPU board because I don't want it to leak battery acid on the board?  If I cut out the battery, will I loose anything besides the bookkeeping of  the winnings, etc? Will it coin up and can you play it without the battery?  Also, I guess I can get a replacement @ Barry Fox at Foxsslots ? or do you recommend another site?

Thanks,

Ray
nightmaretony

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »

Rainman: yup, talking about that battery. I am told it will still work but not save bookeeping, but talk to some others on here first to make sure nbefore cutting it out.

Also, measure it with a voltmeter, if it is dead, then it sure isnt working as a battery.

Barry is great people, I recommend and give thumbs up to him.

proten
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 210

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 01:10:36 AM »

The battery's on the E series are rechargeable and
if the machine has not been left powered on for
2 to  3 hours the the battery will show less than
the 3.6 volts that it is rated for. 

I used a cordless phone battery pack and mounted to
the cabinet next to the board.

One step at a time.
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »

Hi,

Did you just cut the battery off of the MPU board and solder the battery pack to the two leads or did you first remove the MPU board to remove that battery?

Also, did you have and error code when you where done?

Thanks,

Ray
rainman
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »

my  1st slot machine: a1982  Bally's quarter E 1000 series 1208-13    now  working sometimes  paid  $100.00

Ray
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:41:16 AM by rainman » Logged
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »

Sweet machine Ray. I had a Nickel machine like that last year but sold it. You don't see the 6 coin machines too often. Feels good to get it working.   Clap

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.