Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  Megatouch Radion Force Monitor help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Megatouch Radion Force Monitor help  (Read 6436 times)
dpalmi
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 291

« on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »

Hello all!

I need your help/advice....

I know nothing about fixing monitors but know my way around other electronic items and I am very comfortable with a soldering iron...

I have a Megatouch Radion Force that the CRT monitor has stopped working.  I have confirmed the issue is the monitor and not the Megatouch itself.

Symptoms:  There is no picture on the monitor.  The monitor is powering on and powering off.  There is a green light on the remote control board that turns on and goes out as long as there is power.  There is a relay click sound when this happens on the main board.  You can also here the normal "buzz" sound when the power comes on.  Nothing displays on the screen at any time.  Prior to this issue the monitor looked great and had no issues.

I looked at the main board and I can see there is a yellow square capacitor right next to the flyback transformer that the magic smoke escaped from and looks like it is melted and burned.  Burning Resistor

Might just replacing this capacitor fix the issue?

I know that some monitor issues can be fixed with a cap kit.  I would be willing to give that a try.  But if the costs/work get much higher than that, I would probably just pull the monitor out altogether and replace it with a LCD monitor.  I have a few 15" lcd monitors lying around I could use and it looks like I can get a flat Microtouch compatible touchscreen for around $40.  Then it would just be removing the monitor from its current housing and mounting it in the Megatouch.

I also happen to have a fully working identical Megatouch that I can use to test parts if need be...

So you monitor experts, is it worth my time/cost to troubleshoot the monitor that is in there?  Does it sound like an easy fix?  Or should I just put in a LCD screen?  What do you think?

Thanks!

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

dpalmi

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »

I forgot....monitor details....

Tatung C5GNEKC
EC9387-01

Dan #2

MegaMic
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:04 AM »

If you decide to go the lcd route, you will have to cut the front bezel so the lcd can lay flat as the radion has a curved crt tube. Without pictures of your crt I doubt you will get much advice on how to fix, if it can be fixed. Once you narrow down the bad parts, you might beable to fix it on the cheap if you dont need to replace the tube. But i can tell you from experience that doing a lcd conversion isnt a simple quick job and requires specialized tools like dremel and/or router and a file.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »

is this game in the metal cabinet where both side come off?
dpalmi

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

is this game in the metal cabinet where both side come off?

This is what the game looks like.  Both sides do come off.

Dan #2

* MTFR06w.jpg (57.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 460 times.)

dpalmi

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »

If you decide to go the lcd route, you will have to cut the front bezel so the lcd can lay flat as the radion has a curved crt tube. Without pictures of your crt I doubt you will get much advice on how to fix, if it can be fixed. Once you narrow down the bad parts, you might beable to fix it on the cheap if you dont need to replace the tube. But i can tell you from experience that doing a lcd conversion isnt a simple quick job and requires specialized tools like dremel and/or router and a file.

I hadn't thought about the front bezel.  You are correct, it is curved.  I have the needed tools like a dremel, router and sander.  I agree that it won't be an easy task and it will be tricky to get it just right.

How do I go about narrowing down the bad parts?  I know I have a capacitor that is melted, do I just identify it, buy a new one and solder it in?

I have attached a picture of the main board and yoke board for reference...

Dan #2

* c5gnekc.jpg (632.16 KB, 997x1070 - viewed 318 times.)

crgadyk
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 35

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

Just an FYI,
As far as I know you can't get just any touchscreen LCD. It would have to be one with the proper controller to work with the Megatouch.
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

that model cabinet   always has board and monitor trouble they were dog  thats why merit went back to old cabinets
MegaMic

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »

Just an FYI,
As far as I know you can't get just any touchscreen LCD. It would have to be one with the proper controller to work with the Megatouch.

As long as he gets a 15" capacitive microtouch touchscreen panel it will work with the controller he already has in his radion. The lcd shouldnt matter but he will have to splice the power cord or ac adaptor into the switch in the back of the radion cabinet.
MegaMic

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

I hadn't thought about the front bezel.  You are correct, it is curved.  I have the needed tools like a dremel, router and sander.  I agree that it won't be an easy task and it will be tricky to get it just right.

How do I go about narrowing down the bad parts?  I know I have a capacitor that is melted, do I just identify it, buy a new one and solder it in?

I have attached a picture of the main board and yoke board for reference...

Dan #2

Hard to tell with that pic you posted, but the "yellow capacitor" your talking about looks to actually be a transformer. If you can post more close up pics i can see if i can pinpoint what the part is and if it is indeed damaged. Sometimes those transformers have discolored glue that can sometimes look burnt or melted.
dpalmi

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:33:04 AM »

Hard to tell with that pic you posted, but the "yellow capacitor" your talking about looks to actually be a transformer. If you can post more close up pics i can see if i can pinpoint what the part is and if it is indeed damaged. Sometimes those transformers have discolored glue that can sometimes look burnt or melted.

This first picture is from my working Megatouch.  It shows what the yellow capacitor looks like normally (circled in red).  It is labeled C4xx (I can't see the xx numbers).  It is right next to R481.  The numbers on top look like a capacitor rating...something uF.

Dan #2

* m1.JPG (667.93 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 359 times.)

dpalmi

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:07 AM »

These next two pictures show the bad burned up one...

Dan #2

* m2.JPG (917.39 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 398 times.)

* m3.JPG (792.72 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 347 times.)

dpalmi

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:29 AM »

I found a schematic on-line and I think it might be C480...

Dan #2

* m4.JPG (82.18 KB, 836x641 - viewed 318 times.)

MegaMic

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »

its probably 480uf but you need to know the voltage aswell if your going to try replacing it. I already converted my Radion to LCD so i dont have the original CRT tube or board to verify that part.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.