Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:39:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Monitor Repair Log and Database. **Arcade and Gaming**
| |-+  Monitor Repair Tech Support
| | |-+  touch screen problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: touch screen problem  (Read 6510 times)
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 20

« on: June 23, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »

I have a 19" gameking with a drop in lcd replacement and the touchscreen is way off in the center of the monitor. I tried to recalibrate it a couple of times, but when I do the touchscreen test it does fine around the edge of the monitor, but jumps way off when I touch near the middle. Could this be a problem with the touchscreen controller or is there something else I need to look at.
Neonkiss
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »

Check for scratches in the touchscreen

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

I have a 19" gameking with a drop in LCD replacement and the touchscreen is way off in the center of the monitor. I tried to recalibrate it a couple of times, but when I do the touchscreen test it does fine around the edge of the monitor, but jumps way off when I touch near the middle. Could this be a problem with the touchscreen controller or is there something else I need to look at.

it sounds like the touch screens double sided tape got excessive heat and normal use that the adhesive used on the overlay is not in total contact 360 deg around the monitor  .

its easy to determine>>>  if you have door open bezel out of way and lightly  lift a corner of the overlaying touch screen  etc >>>if it pulls right off at all !!!--it was going to fall off or just sag more in time .
or if that seems like its on tight ??try next step .

next turn off all lights in dark room take a tiny super bright flashlight and go around the edge of touch screen 360 deg . if you see light popping through anywhere on to the monitor
>>> its not in total contact <<<<which will give you the results your having on your question .
a quick fix i will tell you --- but don't recommend it as the long term cure . is take the hair dryer out with machine off . heat around entire circumference of T/S slowly or you will crack the glass from heating it to quickly  and with your finger tips lightly damp grab a hold of T/S AND CENTER IT AND PRESS FIRMLY AGAINST THE CENTER OF T/S GLASS "NOT HARD FOIRCE" BUT FIRMLY   . this of course will only last as long as the adhesive is good .

Proper way is if its found its not in total contact which I suspect from your explanation . is to heat up the T/S
as mentioned above & remove it . take a magic marker and mark the way it was installed (FIRST) where the T/S was mounted plus take digital pictures I tell everyone to do prior to a first time removal and replacement .

after its off clean LCD with only "isopropyl" alcohol  along with the touch screen with same product . then buy the "RED" COLOR  3M indoor out door double sided tape and remount it . then buy a good quality brand of cloth embedded black electrical tape and cover the entire outside of T/S trim off excess etc be careful not to cut the wires coming off the touch screen.
then replace anything you removed to get to this point and power up machine and re calibrate -your good to go .. also notice if it is loose not to damage any wires coming off touch screen .
if its the older model its "real glass" that brakes and cuts easy be careful .. if its a later model it will be made of Lexan most of those run a ribbon cable off the touch screen to the controller not a enclosed 3-4 wire inside insulation --if it started out with a 3m glass touch screen and was replaced with the Lexan unit ?
its the same procedure just be carefull of the ribbon cable not pulling out of screen .

pictures would help .
 but that would be my guess from description . assuming it worked fine before your post ??
any trouble feel free to PM me i can send you pictures of both styles of touch screen if you need help .

Rocket

P.S. ALWAYS USE ALCOHOL TO CLEAN TOUCH SCREENS OR  LCD DISPLAYS --NEVER WINDEX OR AMONIA BASED PRODUCTS

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »

Thanks for the info it turns out the touchscreen is scratched the guy I got it from said he has another one I can trade it out with.
Neonkiss

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »

Thanks for the update.
Ya, found the same thing a few times in the past.

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:24 AM »

Thanks for the info it turns out the touchscreen is scratched the guy I got it from said he has another one I can trade it out with.
very curious on this one ??
if you could please post a picture of the touch screen and scratches --BOY I have seen ones with nasty scratches that still worked fine . even  ones that I had a problem with  self inflicted gun shot to the screen and it still worked afterwards lol --------
Jay don't say a word !!!----- airsoft pistol BB seems to of bounced off several items before hitting my touch screen  almost dead center and spider webbing the glass it still worked.

even have one a chunk of glass literally out of the t/s it still works . as long as its not interrupting the electric  grid created buy the wires that surround the t/s they normally work .. unless the most common cause is poor operator ground while calibrating the screen . aka meaning you the operator are not grounded while setting touch screen points . then machine has to be placed and used in a user friendly spot that grounds are complete . another words not on thick carpeted floors and A/C wall plug is grounded to earth and plug from machine has not had the grnd prong cut off it .
thanks
Rocket
p.s my point being is if the guy wants the touch screen back to trade out with you he knows as I do it still most likely works fine or he would not want to trade for another and just say toss it in barrel .

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »

I will try to post a picture of it but I couldn't even tell it was scratched untill I put my LED worklight up tp it. I checked the other machine right next to it and saw none at all so I figured that was probly the problem.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »

I will try to post a picture of it but I couldn't even tell it was scratched untill I put my LED worklight up tp it. I checked the other machine right next to it and saw none at all so I figured that was probly the problem.
ok so it has not been determined the problem is scratches --its just a opinion at this point???

thats what makes me curious about the problem and your description . even now saying you cant tell there were scratches unless you used a L E D worklight to see them .. thats what I mean almost all touch screens have scratches in them to some degree . its a nature of the product etc . but I have ones that are visibly broken spider webbed ! from 50 feet away that work fine . which goes back to the other parts of my post ?? is it mounted securely and is it calibrated correctly and is machine grounded properly .

swapping the screen you may never know ? as I said if the person you got it from wants the exchange touch screen back then it makes me think he knows it is good also and just a R & R will cure the problem .

The other thing I am unclear on is your description of around the edges or middle it seems to lose contact of touch screen .

when setting touch points you only have 4 x's or four "o"s on the gameking ? you dont have a
"grid method" of touch screen settings as in a "Midway" product that actualy has a grid that appears that you have about 20 touch points etc . to cover entire screen .  

I am only offering a opinion from years of work on 3M touch screens and "ELO" touch screens
that the problem is most likely it is not secured totally or a poor calibration from the user and a poor location of machine to do the calibration .

LAST QUESTION  when you purchased the machine or were given machine or took possesion of machine did the touch screen work ok before you moved the machine ?? if answer is yes then the screen moved in transport or its a poor ground of user calibrating machine
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:36:12 AM by ROCKET » Logged

brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »

Ok so I switched the monitor with the other one, and did a calibration, and it worked out fine, so it's not user eror. As to wether it has anything with the scratches I don't know, and if I wasn't going to be going by his shop anyway, to get afew other parts, I would probly try to fix it myself. I got the machine whole sale and didn't really test it out first.
Thank you very much for your help.   
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »

Ok so I switched the monitor with the other one, and did a calibration, and it worked out fine, so it's not user eror. As to wether it has anything with the scratches I don't know, and if I wasn't going to be going by his shop anyway, to get afew other parts, I would probly try to fix it myself. I got the machine whole sale and didn't really test it out first.
Thank you very much for your help.  

JUST TO CLARIFY USER ERROR  --I am not saying the user calibrating the machines touch screen is doing it incorrectly or wrong !

what I am saying if you read my post carefully is the user is >>>not grounded<<<properly  when making the calibration . quick examples I mentioned---if machine had been recently moved to a carpeted floor -the footware the user has  on his or her feet --ground lead of A/C PLUG CUT OFF -missing grounds inside the cabinet .wall or floor outlet not grounded to earth .
you would be very surprised how many homes wiring does not conform to code !

Homes that  >>>dont have ground rods<<< outside driven into the earth 6 to 8 feet there home   electric panel attached to earth ground --many people say I have lived here 20 years without a problem ??
 they were not calibrating a touch screen 20 years ago .. all these factors play into proper touch screen calibration . as far as the follow up post above . the entire monitor with touch screen was swapped so if there was a poor ground stopping the one from responding we will never know .

also i will toss this in if any member has a touch screens 3M design for 13 inch -14 inch 19 -inch CRT -TUBE TYPE MONITOR that are complete take offs/pulls with wires not broken PM me if you want to sell them
dont toss them out .. also ELO CRT'S of the above mentioned sizes along with any LCD touch screens that work or dont work i will purchase . if the moderator thinks the W T B touch screens should be posted elsware just say so . I JUST WANTED TO CLEAR UP ANY MISSUNDERSTANDING OF OPERATOR ERROR IN TOUCH SCREEN CALIBRATION . ONCE AGAIN ITS NOT MEANT AS INSULT -ITS MEANT ARE YOU THE PROGRAMMER GROUNDED WHEN SETTING TOUCH POINTS .
 as I mentioned in several touch screen problem post . if "hypothetically" you could float in mid air and try to calibrate any touch screen ?? you could never do it ??
there was no insult implied or mentioned if taken the wrong way by members of this forum as to there capabilities of setting touch points if there were I am sorry for the confusion --I think parts of my posts are not interpreted correctly .
LAST I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT UPCOMING HOLIDAY & SAFE ONE !!

Rocket

Neonkiss

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »

also i will toss this in if any member has a touch screens 3M design for 13 inch -14 inch 19 -inch CRT -TUBE TYPE MONITOR that are complete take offs/pulls with wires not broken PM me if you want to sell them

ROCKET
HOW MANY DO YOU WANT?
all are new, full pallet.

* Touchscreens.jpg (599.51 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 219 times.)

ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »

What size ? Are they the older 3m real glass type with tan controller wire plug or Lexan with ribbon cable type. Send me a PM with details of size quantity and price. Please thanks on the road rt now.

brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

You didn't offend me, sorry if it sounded that way, I just swaped it out to make shure there wasn't a problem with the machine, or myself being grounded.
Thanx again for all the help and info.
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

I just gotta ask a question. If a fellow put on a pair of rubber boots and stood on a rubber mat and made sure he didn't touch anything but the touch screen with one finger. and the touch screen operated as it should, would you came to the conclusion the grounding theory is BS??  I did.

There is so much BS in this thread that there is no way to address it all. I wasn't even going to try until I got to thinking someone might read this and think it's all correct. After all the person that posted this BS is holding himself out as a expert. Hey I'm no expert.

Where is it written how close the touch screen must be installed to the picture tube ?? Could someone please explane to me how your going to get a piece of glass to flex enough without breaking to get one corner loose. And if a corner was loose what's the big deal, the picture tube doesn't talk to the touch screen and the touch screen doesn't talk to the picture tube. You look through one to see the other, what do you think calibration is for.

I've never had a touch screen with ribbon cable so I can't remark about them. But the touch screens I have had have 4 wires attached to each of the four corners of the touch screen, they come from the controller to  the right center of the touch screen on the players right side. Two go up to right top and left top, two go down to right bottom and left bottom, note there isn't a wire up or down on the left side if the monitor. If you cut break are damage in anyway just solder the wire back together no big deal.

In another thread in the last few days our expert posted that some manufacture were using double sided tape in just the corners. In this thread seems we must have double sided tape 360 degrees. In the other thread the tape between the touch screen and the picture tube was to keep dirt out, in this thread it seems to be something that's really important (" look it over with a flash light " )   
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=24674.msg192185#msg192185

I've said enough, you can believe this expert if you like, but not me.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking
ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE PROVED YOU LIKE STIRRING THE POT & NOT STICKING TO THE THREAD AND QUESTIONS ASKED AND HELPING OUT ANY MEMBER WHO HAS A QUESTION . OR PROBLEM . ALL MY POST WERE FOR THE BENEFIT OF FORUM MEMBERS INCLUDING THE ABOVE POSTER -BUT HE LIKES TO STIR THE SH*T POT .

IF YOU UNDERSTOOD >>>>>THERORY<<<<< OF HOW>>>ANYTHING<<< >>>WORKS<<<< IT MAKES AND MODELS OPERATE YOU WOULD NEVER OF MADE THE POST . BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID AS HELL --I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A EXPERT . BUT I HAVE A PM BOX FULL OF THANK YOU NOTES FROM MEMBERS .
AS FAR AS PULLING ON THE CORNER OF A TOUCH SCREEN TO SEE IF ITS ATTACHED  -YOU HAVE TO BE A COMPLETE IDIOT NOT TO UNDERSTAND THAT.
IT ALL BIOLS DOWN TO THE MAKE THE MODEL HOW THE CONTROLLER REACTS TO "TOUCH" HOW THE T/S IS ATTACHED IF BROKEN WIRES ARE UNDER THE TAPE -IF MACHINE IT BASED ON A FLOOR THAT HAS POOR GROUNDING ABILITIES . ETC .
NOT >>>ALL<< TOUCH SCREENS ACT ALIKE EVEN BEING OF THE SAME BRAND NAME . YOU CAN HAVE ONE "IGT" "I" GAME NEXT TO THE OTHER IT MAY NOT HAVE A WORKING TOUCH SCREEN .

>>>>>THEORY<<<<< IS BEHIND ALL DESIGNS AND ALL REPAIRS UNLESS YOUR JUST A PARTS REPLACER !!HOPING ONE OF THE PARTS YOU INSTALL MAKE IT WORK TO SATISFACTORY CONDITIONS .

IT SEEMS OUT OF THE ENTIRE FORUM NOBODY ELSE SAID ANYTHING"""NEGATIVE"""" EXCEPT THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN MY POST . WHEN I EVEN RE POSTED YESTERDAY SAYING THAT USER ERROR WAS NOT THE PERSON NOT CALIBRATING THE SCREEN PROPERLY BUT THE USER /OR MACHINE IN QUESTION WAS NOT GROUNDED PROPERLY .EVERYONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS THAT EXCEPT ONE MEMBER ?? HMM WHATS THAT SAY ..

THERE WAS NEVER A POST OF HOW CLOSE THE TOUCH SCREEN SHOULD BE AGAINST THE CRT OR LCD ??
AS FAR AS YOUR RUBBER BOOT IDEA YOU WERE MOST LIKELY STANDING IN YOUR OWN SH*T RESTING YOUR ARM ON MACHINE WITH LEFT AND SMOKING A CIGARETTE WITH RIGHT AS MOST PICTURES OF YOU I HAVE NOTICED - WHICH COMPLETED THE GROUND WHERE THE SH*T IS PILED SO HIGH IT NEEDS A PETERBUILT TRACTOR TRAILER TO HAUL IT AWAY ---WHICH I WAS TOLD YOU WERE A EXPERT AT SO STICK WITH THAT AND NOT PLAY GRUMPY OLD MAN WHO GIVES OUT FREE EPROMS TO BUY FRIENDS TO STICK UP FOR HIM .  . .IN THE LAST GO AROUND ON CHIP % PAYOUTS ETC 

I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON ELO & 3M TOUCH SCREENS FOR OVER 15-ALMOST 20 YEARS ALMOST DAILY -I JUST PASS ON WHAT I READ FROM ELO & 3M TROUBLE SHOOTING MANUALS & HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WHICH IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD  . I CAN READ BELIEVE IT OR NOT . CANT SPELL I ADMIT THAT .

PERHAPS THIS PREVIOUS POSTER SHOULD GO BACK TO RE READ SOME OTHER POST I MADE CONCERNING POT OF GOLD TOUCH SCREEN PROBLEMS THEY ARE THE SAME TOUCH SCREENS AS THE IGT /BALLY WILLIAMS ETC IN DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS AND THE ANSWERS GIVEN BY THE FORUM MEMBERS CONCLUDED I WAS CORRECT.AS RECENTLY AS 3 WEEKS AGO A MEMBER MOVED HIS 1 OF 3 MACHINES TO A CARPETED FLOOR FINALLY REALIZED AFTER HE PURCHASED A HUMAN "GROUND" STRAP THAT THE  MACHINE  WORKED AFTERWARDS .

THE ONE AREA I FORGOT TO POST WAS THE HUMAN FINGER --SO I AM>>>>>> NOW POSTING THE FINGER <<<<<<<<WHILE SETTING TOUCH POINTS OR PLAYING THE GAME .. MANY "WORKING TRADESMAN"" HAVE ROUGH HANDS THAT DONT REACT TO TOUCH SCREENS FROM BUILT UP CALLUS  --IF THIS HAPPENS LICK YOUR INDEX FINGER THEN RE TRY TOUCHING SCREEN YOU WILL NOTICE A INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCE . AS FAR AS POSTING ON THE FORUM I WILL CONTINUE UNTIL JOEY TELLS ME NOT TO I BELIEVE HIM TO BE THE OWNER OF THE SITE STILL . AND MY POST ARE FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL .. NOT JUST THE PERSON HAVING THE PROBLEM . THATS WHY I SPOON FEED MOST POST TO A MEMBER SO OTHERS UNDERSTAND THE THEORY BEHIND WHAT MY POST ARE . PERHAPS A >>>>SINGLE <<<FEW SHOULD >>>TAKE NOTICE<<< OF THAT .IOF A REPOST IS DONE IT JUST DETROYS THE ENTIRE THREAD TO THE POINT IT WILL GET LOCKED DOWN AGAIN . THATS NOT WHAT I WANT . BUT OTHERS MAY WANT TO KEEP  stir the pot / get cooking stir the pot / get cooking :79-THE POT .
AS FAR AS ANYTHING ELSE I WILL PLAY FORREST GUMP ON THIS .. WHO ACTUALLY WAS NOT THE STUPID IDIOT IN THE MOVIE  I THINK MOST EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES HAS SEEN .. I WILL CLOSE IN THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT .. 

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

You know Rocket every now and then a blind Squirrel will find a acorn, you just keep on plunking away every now and then you may get one right, just not this time. You know it, I know it and now a whole lot of other folks know it.

Did I post in this thread to stir the pot, I did not. I posted in this thread because you with your 15 going on 20 years experience are totally wrong.  If I post something as for in left field as you just did I would expect to be corrected.

Now who are what I give someone is none of your F**king business.

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.