Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Homebrew Player Tracking and EFT Systems.
| |-+  NLG Homebrew Player Tracking and EFT Systems.
| | |-+  Raspberry Pi Slot Interface board
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Slot Interface board  (Read 4436 times)
marketideas
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Hi all, I am glad I found this forum.
I have been in the slot industry for about 20 years from software engineer to game design.  As a hobby, I like to experiment with embedded devices, and when I got my first Raspberry Pi, I knew this was the device that would do a fantastic job interfacing to the machines.
I set out to design a board that would have all of the features I needed to do both a progressive controller and SAS communications.  I recently ran a successful Kickstarter in order to get back most of my development costs.

You can read about the device here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722032672/non-volatile-4mb-f-ramdisk-for-the-raspberry-pi-ex

The Kickstarter project was written to be a bit more mainstream than what we like to do here, but you can see the advantages of this board. Real Time clock, RS232, RS485 with full 9 bit support, a unique electronic ID, and fast truly non-volatile FRAM for not losing important information.  The 4MB F-RAM daughter card is overkill in the slot world (unless you want to keep your ticket database here), but leaving it unpopulated allows you to easily wire your RS485 multi-drop networks using standard Cat5 cables.

In combination with the RasPi, with it's fantastic hardware H264 decode, ethernet and linux, I think I have everything needed to do some fantastic things on the slot floor.

Like I said, I ran the kickstarter campaign to recoup my development costs, and I have a bunch of these boards that I need to build and ship to my backers. I really didn't plan on selling these after that point, but since I found this forum, and many of you are like minded, if you are interested please respond below, and based on that response, I can see if I can make a few available.

Thanks,
Shawn
TZtech
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »

Hi Shawn - Welcome to NLG

I have backed several projects on Kickstarter - Not sure why I missed Yours.
Although probably overkill for a home based system ( a 8 bit micro can do most of what needs to be done ) the low cost and size of the raspberri Pi does make it an ideal candidate for more complex slot systems.
I would be interested in Your board and also any tips on properly manipulating the 9th bit from linux.
Please keep us posted this sounds like a great project.

Oscar Pompa
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »

Hello

Im interested!! Add me to the list.

I know the Ras-Pi board  and i have been working with a little bit.

Ask me if you need help!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.