Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  VLC Machines
| | |-+  VLC 8825 Touch Screen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VLC 8825 Touch Screen  (Read 5343 times)
lb
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: August 13, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

I have a VLC 8825 that has a damaged touch screen. It is ELO. Does anyone in the Phoenix area have any parts. It would probably be easier to change out the whole crt assembly if I could find a working one. I can get a replacement Micro Touch screen if I could find a controller board for it. Seems like everyone wants to deep 6 these machines but I want to get mine working so you could throw them my way. Thanks for any help.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 430

I DONT SELL ON EBAY ITS NOT ME .

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »

I have a VLC 8825 that has a damaged touch screen. It is ELO. Does anyone in the Phoenix area have any parts. It would probably be easier to change out the whole crt assembly if I could find a working one. I can get a replacement Micro Touch screen if I could find a controller board for it. Seems like everyone wants to deep 6 these machines but I want to get mine working so you could throw them my way. Thanks for any help.
IF THE TOUCH SCREEN IS ON A OLD VLC IT IS BONDED ON WITH EPOXY FROM FACTORY .
its a non removable item . you have to replace the entire CRT -with a new touch screen etc .

or go LCD -with a different bezel ==more $$--and a signal converter for CGA TO VGA about 50.00 delivered for a good one . I would stick with the CRT -TUBE & new touch screen cleaner outcome and cheaper .

find out from VLC owners if you can run a 3M MICRO TOUCH--- touch screen in the VLC ??

Reason being - many of the company's then & now only purchase there touch screens from one supplier and did not install "DRIVERS " for both "ELO" & 3M is why I say this .

I have seen many people try to toss in the more expensive "ELO" touch screen in a old machine and new machine to find out the screen says no touch screen detected . For example  in the company JVL CO. INC. on there first countertops they ran both 3m microtouch and "ELO" touch screens for the first three series machines .
after JVL -4 they purchased from 3m MICRO TOUCH EXCLUSIVELY -so JVL -4 through JVL 8 would only work with 3M products .

there are a few members still running the old VLC machines . perhaps they will chime in ??

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
lb

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »

Thanks for the response. The ELO screen on my machine looks like it is attached with a consistent 1/2" wide, thick material which could be some type of tape. It looks too consistent to be epoxy but I could be wrong. I do know VLC made the slot with both ELO and Micro Touch screens and they obviously had different controller boards to drive each one. I agree just switching out the whole crt assembly would be much easier if I can find one that works and the crt isn't toast.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »

Thanks for the response. The ELO screen on my machine looks like it is attached with a consistent 1/2" wide, thick material which could be some type of tape. It looks too consistent to be epoxy but I could be wrong. I do know VLC made the slot with both ELO and Micro Touch screens and they obviously had different controller boards to drive each one. I agree just switching out the whole crt assembly would be much easier if I can find one that works and the crt isn't toast.

In my first post I should of said original from factory the touch screens on the VLC  were epoxied on along with tape .

so some members dont pick apart what I say and confuse matters .

the easy way to find out if its been replaced over the years with just a tape on model --is to take a electric hair dryer and heat the touch screen slowly equally around the edge and use a old hack saw blade -slim jim idea and see if it pops off easy ----if its tape it will almost lift right off --if epoxied it wont budge .

i think you will find the epoxy is around the entire tube /crt etc . and you wont even be able to get a thin hacksaw blade  through to screen side . without taking a chunk of the CRT with it .

as far as controllers yes there is the obvious difference from 3M to  ELO --

ELO run on 5 volts dc on that model -

3M Run on 12 volts on that model .

what I was refering to were the "slots computer drivers" being installed for both the 3m & the ELO in the software in machine .

you say they ran both 3m and ELO -

but i would make sure the drivers are there for both ??

if you find the more common 3m touch screen CRT for a replacement which are quite common still .

because you would also have to find the correct software for the 3m if it was only set up from factory for ELO ??

I have two of those old VLC'S converted to POT O GOLDS using brand new CRT'S & 3M touch screens -
I personally like the CRT IMAGE in many video slots vs the LCD -which you have to view at a specific angle to see the image --

the old VLC make  great cabinet designs heavy gauge steel and already had the isolation transformer built in - they make great organ donors -plus take many standard glass from many modern day slots along with progressive windowed glass on the top level .

there must be 10 miles of wire in those machines from factory when new . ..

The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO POST , what you think & what you do is who you become.
lb

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »

I appreciate your response about heating and trying to do a removal. I will try that. Could almost roll it out of the garage into the sun here and let it bake off. With all the changes necessary to go to a micro touch screen it seems like I should just look for a working ELO crt assembly and switch it out. Are any of these still around?
This may be a dumb question but are touch screens repairable. One corner of mine is damaged and the wires around the edge also look damaged/loose.
ROCKET
ROCKET
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »

yes there are plenty of ELO CRT  touch screens available still . i have a few brand new ones left for the 19/20 inch CRT .
not sure if I want to part with them because I also come across a few times a year a game that has a smashed out screen that needs a ELO  t/s .

As far as repairing the touch screen . if the wires are imbedded into the glass and looks fine but on a t/s test demonstrates broken if it gives the grid method of test and calibration  and a  trace is broken no -way . if a corner of glass is cracked with loose wires if its not working now -there is no way to get it to work in 99% of the cases I have worked on . one member said just solder the broken wire lol well his expertise must be better than mine if he can solder inside of glass .

Part of the ""theory"" of touch screens   what people dont realize is the wires imbedded inside the glass that souround the t/s imbedded into the glass . the wires are constantly being flexed even though its glass you think it would break -glass does flex when touched and when machine is turned on and heated up the expansion of the copper wire and glass expand at different rates also . so after years of power ups hot and cold enviroments its easy for a wire to look intact inside the glass but be broken .

as far as the drivers for both ask a owner of a VLC Game and see if they have swapped with success from ELO TO 3M or 3m to ELO etc .

lb

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »

Does anyone have a working ELO CRT assembly they want to get rid of that will work in this machine? It has to interface with the attached controller. Has anyone tried to switch from the ELO touch screen to Micro Touch?

* elo board.jpg (117.08 KB, 640x561 - viewed 330 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.