Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Arcade Games, Pinball, Crane Games, Redemption Games and Other Stuff
| |-+  Crane & Redemption Games
| | |-+  Help with Claw Machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with Claw Machine  (Read 24197 times)
daboks
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:20 AM »

I recently bought an old Clean Sweep machine made by Smart Ind. and i cant seem to get it working.  It will light up but the claw will not do anything.  What I would like to do is replace the power supply in the machine, but finding a website with info for claw machine repair seems to be hard to find.  The machine is currently being stored at a friends house, so i will get pics up later. 

So what I'm really looking for is someone who has a claw machine if you could take pictures and explain to me what I'll need and how to put in a new power supply.  All the research i have been getting seems to come from people repairing arcade cabinets with monitors, so I'm not really sure how claw machine compares to that (if it's easier or harder).  any info would be helpful, Thanks.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:10:14 AM »

I don't have a Claw machine but I'd open the hatch and claw around inside and look and see if the fuses are okay.
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »

Maybe this is what you need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270904292875

* manual.jpg (67.36 KB, 449x800 - viewed 1089 times.)
Frank A
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 50

Pinball & Sailing

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »

If it lights up, the power supply is good. Look for a hidden fuse. I had the same issue until I found the hidden fuse. Check the manual that someone attached and look for fuses marked by a squiggly horizontal S.

Frank A
slotsteve
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 139

we are opened a home sale store on us 58

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »

no the power supply is for  dc.  volts                lights are ac they don,t need power supply,  red wire 5 v yellow 12 v  blacks to ground ,
daboks
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »

i downloaded the manual offline.  and checked the 2 fuses i could find.  has anyone ever installed a Switching Power Supply into a claw machine?

thanks for the responses, it gives me confidence that I'll actually fix this thing.
poppo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »

I would think that as long as the votages and current rating are the same and the swithing supply can handle any initial current surges (if there are any in a claw machine) it would work fine.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:57:28 PM by poppo » Logged
daboks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »

thanks for the help guys.  i'll post back with pics when i get a chance to work on the machine.
Kilo_G
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »

I have the same problem. I have a 5th generation clean sweep (1992/1993). It has 86,000+ plays on it. When I got it it didn't work period. Soldered some new micro switches on the crane assembly and put in 3 new fuses (main, rope light, sound). And the thing worked.

Used it several times and all of a sudden; sound doesn't play, credit/timer display doesn't light up, coin slot bulb doesn't light up, bill validator doesn't work and obviously can't play the game None of the 3 fuses are blown (5A fast, 1.5A slow blow, 1A slow blow), the lights on the inside of the machine (track lights) work and the rope lights also work.

Anyone know what gives?
poppo

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:40:17 PM »

I know nothing about these machines. But there are some basic troubleshooting steps you can take.

Given that you have several different items not working, it sounds like you lost a specific voltage. I assume it probably use a simple stand lone bill validator. So I would start by figuring out what voltage it uses
(should be labeled somewhere) and then trace that back to the source. Put a meter on the fuses and see if the voltages are there. Never go by a visual look at a fuse to assume it's good. I've had some that looked fine but were indeed open.
daboks
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:48 AM »

I know nothing about these machines. But there are some basic troubleshooting steps you can take.

Given that you have several different items not working, it sounds like you lost a specific voltage. I assume it probably use a simple stand lone bill validator. So I would start by figuring out what voltage it uses
(should be labeled somewhere) and then trace that back to the source. Put a meter on the fuses and see if the voltages are there. Never go by a visual look at a fuse to assume it's good. I've had some that looked fine but were indeed open.

That sucks Kilo, but atleast you got to see yours work for a bit.  can you post a pick of the inside of yours, like of the power supply?  im curious to see if yours differs from mine.  when i finally get a chance to mess with mine hopefully we can share notes and get these things working.
Kilo_G
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 05:44:08 AM »

Well, I have to be honest. I didn't get the claw machine, my 11 year old brother did. I'm 27, I'm an electrician and obviously you can guess who was tasked with fixing it. My little brother is OBSESSED (can't put enough emphasis on that word) with claw machines. But he actually found a good deal, picked this thing off eBay for $25.

It's 2:25AM right now and I'm about 12 beers deep. Later in the day, some point after I wake up, I will take pics.

When this happened I automatically assumed that the power supply went. It was dumb of me not to take note while I had the whole thing open (without it being loaded with toys) if the LED on the power supply lit up. This machine has a power supply and also a bunch of transformers. From reading the manual that came with the machine I think there is at least 3 voltages in the machine; 110, 48v to 60v and 12v.

I will say that Smart Industries - www.smartind.com - were very nice and helpful, I called them last week to ask them if they could tell me where a micro switch was mounted and they told me where and also emailed me exploded original diagrams and also told me that if I had any tech problems with the machine to call them back and speak with tech support, nice to see a company that still knows their shit about older products and is nice! I only posted the question here cause the problem happened on a Saturday and they don't work on weekends. So I'll be calling them on ~Monday.

The machine itself is pretty simple, and as far as I can tell, electronically speaking there are only a few things that can go wrong - game board, sound board, power supply, transformers, micro switches, motors. And of course there are mechanical things that can go wrong too. But, for what it is, it's relatively simple.

I know you can buy new game boards and some other stuff from Lupine Systems - http://lupinesystems.com/crane/, but they (boards) are expensive and I believe Smart Industries said you could send boards in for repairs (who knows if that would cost more than a new board).

I'll post up here with pics in several hours.

Now, if that power supply did go, where to get a new one............
Kilo_G
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »

This Lupine Systems power supply might work if the voltages match up with mine
daboks
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »

so did you get it up and running?
Kilo_G
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »

Sorry for the really long reply time. So here's what I found out:

- I called Smart Industries tech support, the gentleman there told me it sounded like the power supply died. He said that I could use a standard computer power supply. So I looked at one I had on an old computer. First of all computer power supplies do not have screw down terminals, second of all the power supply didn't tell me which wires were which voltages/amps, third of all connecting the 120v to the power supply would be a little sketchy and fourth I don't know that a computer power supply would have enough balls to get this thing going - the power supply on the claw machine has the following screw down terminals- +5v 12amp, GND, GND, -5v 1amp, +12v 2amp, FG, AC input, AC input - in that order.

- I called Smart Industries back and talked to parts department, she told me it is $222.46 for a new power supply.

- I called Brady Distributing - www.bradydist.com - they had a bit of a hard time figuring out which power supply I needed, then the gentleman told me he found it and the last price it sold for in his system was $86.45, he said he would have to order it and did not have one in stock, I asked him if he was ordering the part from Smart Industries he said yes, so I'd venture to guess that it'll end up being $222.46 or more from Brady Distributing.

- Lupine systems power supply does not work with Smart Industries machines.

- I don't want to spend $222.46 plus shipping on the power supply  Crazy

Anybody got ideas?
poppo

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »

Anybody got ideas?

Computer power supplies are pretty standard. All should have more than enough amps for your use.

Black = ground
Red = +5v
Yellow = +12v
white -5V
Green or Grey (if it has one) PS on. Usually tied to ground to turn on the power supply.

You can either hard wire things or pick up a terminal block at Radio Shack for a few bucks.

The AC in should just be a standard power cord.

Here is more info on the color codes.

http://www.scary-terry.com/atxps/atxps.htm

and this to use one as a supply like you want.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:33:06 PM by poppo » Logged
Kilo_G
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »

Wahwe-wewah!!!  Clap

There might be a solution I'll try this out over the weekend. Thank you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.