Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Is The Reel Stop "Knock" Just For Effects?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is The Reel Stop "Knock" Just For Effects?  (Read 13243 times)
5 ACES
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« on: May 05, 2009, 05:16:44 AM »

Here is a question I have had for some time now. I searched the threads but still don't know the answer. When the reels stop, particularly on my S+, is that "Knock" coming from the handle really stopping the reels, or is that just for sound effects?
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:38:14 AM »

Sound effect -- it's just window dressing.

In fact, if the reel spin sound is disabled, the solenoid won't fire and instead the "stop" noise will be generated by the speaker -- it's the same sound as the "nudge" sound on a nudge game.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
5 ACES

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:54:35 AM »

How cool! Ya learn something everyday! Thanks knagl!!
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 62

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »

I wish I had known this when I was having trouble with my handle solenoid.  loser Oh well, I just put a new one in its place.
Another learning experience, which I needed anyway.
What is the setting for this, or is it controlled with dipswitch settings. Using SP 731 on a 10MHZ board.?

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »

The SP731 uses DIP switch 2.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

Thanks, Changed dipswitch 2 setting.  Killed the solenoid sound but also killed the reel music  no
I guess its an all or nothing deal..I would have preferred the reel music with the sound generated click, but Oh Well  sleep

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."  (Sir Winston Churchill)
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »

Yep, they're both controlled by the same setting.  I don't think the tone generator is capable of doing the reel spin sound and the stop sound at the same time.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »

If you want the reel music and not the knock sound from the handle assembly and still want the handle to operate, then unplug the solenoid, and tywrap the solenoid in the up position. no knock sound, handle works and reel music,but no speaker reel sound!

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »

Excellent idea.  I'm going to have to do that.  This will affect the handle lock right?

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »

Yes, basically you are keeping the solenoid energized without power being applied, thereby allowing the handle to operate normally.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

513-984-2201

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:51 AM »

some pictures        Jim

* DSCF0128.JPG (321.39 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 254 times.)

* DSCF0129.JPG (315.91 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 251 times.)

Magicslots
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:34:32 AM »

The tie wrap trick was on my machine when I got it.  The tie wrap had slipped loose.  The long term compression of the spring seem to have weakened
it and I had the whole "rattles when i played saga".  I fixed it by replacing it with a new one and it works like a champ.  But being in the same room as my wife's computer,
she found the clicking noise irritating, along with the reel music. This probably due to my marathon playing of the machine rotflmao
So I was hunting a compromise.  She is happier now, and we all know that when momma is happy...everybody is happy   bust gut laughing
Now, I get quiet game play with the sound generated clicks...but I miss the reel music, even though that sometimes get old for me too. Tongue Out

5 ACES

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »

Does the SP1271 eprom bypass the dip switches?
dpalmi

Total Karma Storms: 291

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »

Does the SP1271 eprom bypass the dip switches?

Yes - SP1271 ignores all the dipswitches....

Per the PSR:

DIP SWITCH OPTIONS
This version is not affected by DIP switch settings.

Dan #2

A great man once said, "I was told last time I would get a piece of cake."

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »

With the SP1271, the sound option is the first setting in the setup menu: "2   n", where n=[0,1]. With the SP731 you will see option "5   n" as the first choice instead.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
5 ACES

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »

I have a 5 line 5X Pay kit installed right now, with a 731 eprom. When a prize is hit, let's say a cherry on the 4th line, it takes the machine about 1/2 to 1 second to add the credits. It almost seems like the machine has to "Think" what is must pay and pauses a bit before anything happens. This never happened before on my one line kits, the credits were instant when something was won. Will the SP1271 fix this sluggish issue?
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »

My 5-line 5x pay does that, too (the "thinking") -- I'll have to look and see what SP is in it.  It may just be a "feature" of the game.   Tongue Out

sparksfarmer
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »

I always thought it was a throwback to the old EM pinball machines which used a similar "knock" to let the player know they had won a free game?

Later , I was told it is to wake up the player and remind them it's time to feed the machine.  bust gut laughing

Sparksfarmer
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »

I know on a S+...
The reel stopping "knock" comes from the divertor gateway flipping back and forth...
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »

I know on a S+...
The reel stopping "knock" comes from the divertor gateway flipping back and forth...

Are you talking about the coin divertor?  It's the handle solenoid as far as I know.  If you pull down on the handle as the reels are spinning, you can feel the handle solenoid thunking away -- in fact the sound changes if you apply pressure to the handle.

uniman
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 695

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 04:50:11 PM »

My Universal Ultra Series slots have the reel stop click sound in the sound chip. They also added a 12v output called "the reelknocker" which must have been used to trigger an added solenoid, clicker, whatever. This 12v output momentarily grounds, completing the circuit, at every reel stop.

* reelknocker.jpg (33.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 239 times.)
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

This is a short film clip of what I was talking about>>>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-YQsZFngaY&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/o-YQsZFngaY&rel=0</a>

PS I'm a lousy camera man....lol
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »

Interesting, I'm going to have to play a game with the door open.  I had always understood that the noise was only from the arm solenoid.  Maybe there's 2 sources of the stop sound?

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 05:59:09 PM »

haha...rick, just open the belly door and look at the divertor....

"<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCia3ugG2_w&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JCia3ugG2_w&rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:53:24 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »

Interesting -- I'll have to see if mine does the same.  There is no doubt in my mind that the handle (arm) solenoid fires to generate the sound, but now with Mark's video it looks entirely possible that there are two sources, that the coin divertor also fires.

...either that, or some crossed wires on Mark's frankenstien slot setup.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.