Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  The Slot Shop **Tech Talk**
| | |-+  Is There An LED Version Of The Mini Bulb #86?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is There An LED Version Of The Mini Bulb #86?  (Read 31356 times)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 03:10:44 AM »

Bunker I might be wrong but isn't S+  6.8 volts and S 2000 14 volts

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:23 AM »

You may be right on the money buzz...
My feeling is that dpalmi's multi-colored LED works good
in the S2000 BECAUSE it puts out more voltage.
I remember confirming with my bench top power supply that
the multi-colored LED bulb worked better when there was more than 9 volts DC applied.
The S+ doesn't put that much voltage out but it's more
in line like with what you said - around 7 volts DC.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:16:45 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 440

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 03:29:59 AM »

Those are 194 bulbs? That seems to be way too big to fit in the socket of an S2000...

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 03:31:44 AM »

Made by Pilot #Li 194M

Here's a link to it>>>

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Electrical+and+Lighting&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=367-10&filterByKeyWord=194M&currentPage=1&navValue=100453&categoryNValue=100367&fromWhere=&itemId=453-10&displayName=Mini+-+Bulb
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:36:51 AM by stayouttadabunker » Logged
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »

I'm very familiar with 194 bulbs, they're one of the most common bulbs in American cars, used everywhere from marker lights to dash illumination and indicator lights. The base is 3/8ths of an inch across,  for some reason I thought the bulbs were smaller than that in the S2000.

I wonder if they make white ones also? Mine are failing, they're either out completely or having spastic flashing seizures...

Thanks,
Bill
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:02 AM »

Bill this is from KirkLasVegas      jkllamps.com   

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 04:33:34 AM »

thanks, Buzz, they had white ones.

Thanks,
Bill
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 04:38:05 AM »

Bill you had better look again

brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 04:49:36 AM »

Why is that?

Part No. LE-0503-03W
Item Name: T-3 1/4  12 Volt Wedge-Based LED, White

Thanks,
Bill
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »

I could be wrong but I think buzz means there's other
color LEDs besides white for sale on that website as well?

* LEDs.jpg (10.41 KB, 192x192 - viewed 503 times.)
brichter
Spaced Alien
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »

yup, saw them but just looking for the white ones for now, and I'll get a multicolored from Auto Zone as I don't have to buy a minimum of 10 or pay shipping from around the corner and down the block (well, ok, Google maps puts it at 2 miles)...

Thanks,
Bill
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »

Does anyone know of a good source for the 259 or 555 in LED that will fit in an S+ button?

I looked on the jkllamps site and saw that they did not appear to have any 6v LED bulbs.  The pinball sites all seem to use the same bulb with the large shoulder that won't fit.  MCM wants $3.50 a piece for them, and Happ wants $5.25 each plus its famous mystery shipping.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:41:51 PM by knagl » Logged

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »

knagl  I have had good success using 12 volt LEDs in PE+ machines. Blueridge Jim says they will work sometimes.

knagl

Kevin

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »

Really?  They're not too dim or anything?  I may give that a shot.  Thanks and K+ for the tip.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
5 ACES
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »

Does anyone know of a good source for the 259 or 555 in LED that will fit in an S+ button?

I looked on the jkllamps site and saw that they did not appear to have any 6v LED bulbs.  The pinball sites all seem to use the same bulb with the large shoulder that won't fit.  MCM wants $3.50 a piece for them, and Happ wants $5.25 each plus its famous mystery shipping.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1175&parent=0

The 555's will fit, if you get some light sandpaper and gently sand the edges of the bulb. The diameter of the bulb is just a tad too big and it's a soft plastic. I think it took me less than 10 minutes to sand all five of the bulbs and they now fit perfectly in an S+ button. The above link sells them at $1.00 per LED and I've had great luck with them. The bulbs are very bright and work great! Just beware of the yellow LED bulb, because it makes the button look like an old, dirty brown color. The purple one's look really nice, though they are sold out of those until 01-02-10.
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

The 555's will fit, if you get some light sandpaper and gently sand the edges of the bulb. The diameter of the bulb is just a tad too big and it's a soft plastic. I think it took me less than 10 minutes to sand all five of the bulbs and they now fit perfectly in an S+ button.

I take it you haven't had any negative experiences like Bunker described in this quote?:

I had to get out some fairly heavy grit sandpaper and rub them down to get them to fit properly.  However, one problem led to another (pun intended...LOL)

Sanding down the outside of the bulbs encasing allowed even further heat to eventually totally melt the structural casing of the LED bulb itself to the point where I had to remove them for fear of causing a fire.

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »

Maybe it was just a bad LED bulb or what but it surely melted to a pulp... no
I may have taken too much off...LOL
There's a lot of heat in there too...the brightest incandescent bulbs are just too darn hot...
ever touch the spring inside? It's so hot that it actually begins to melt the plastic insides.
That's why they use the lower wattage bulbs...so there's no fire!
The LEDs burn cooler so this may or may not be a problem.
That one LED that melted I'm sure - was a defective LED.
The only way to know for sure is to bench test one with 6.8Vdc running
through a bulb in a lead bowl on a bench for days upon days and see if it melts a button housing.
This is the safest way so that there's no chance of fire.
Even the benchtop power supply hooked up to the bulb needs to
be connected to a fused breaker type power strip in case of a major short.
5 ACES
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 16

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »

The 555's will fit, if you get some light sandpaper and gently sand the edges of the bulb. The diameter of the bulb is just a tad too big and it's a soft plastic. I think it took me less than 10 minutes to sand all five of the bulbs and they now fit perfectly in an S+ button.

I take it you haven't had any negative experiences like Bunker described in this quote?:

I had to get out some fairly heavy grit sandpaper and rub them down to get them to fit properly.  However, one problem led to another (pun intended...LOL)

Sanding down the outside of the bulbs encasing allowed even further heat to eventually totally melt the structural casing of the LED bulb itself to the point where I had to remove them for fear of causing a fire.

WOW!! Well, thankfully I haven't had that happen. We keep our S+ on 24/7, usually with credits in it, so the S+ button lights stay on all the time. The only thing I had happen and I believe I caused it, because I sanded off too much plastic, was one of the LED's kept flickering and would not stay on completely. I noticed that only two of the three LED's were actually working on the bulb itself. The LED that was not working, was where I sanded the plastic up to the LED itself. Of course it was the purple one, the color that looked the nicest and now they have no more purple LED's until the beginning of 2010. Also, I just checked the temperature on the button spring and the LED and no heat whatsoever.
 The first time I done this, was with a fairly heavy grit sandpaper, which was my first mistake. I sanded that poor little LED like it was a rusty nail! LOL!! After seeing that the LED casing was just a tiny bit too big, I used a fine grit sandpaper and it only takes a few swipes around the casing to get the bulb to fit. What happens if you don't sand the casing is that when you push the button, the spring catches the bulb and pulls it out of the socket when the button comes back up. I feel Bunker's pain, because I did the same thing but in my case, it just basically messed up the bulb. It looks like in Bunker's case, it caused the bulb to melt and I would imagine that probably happens more times than not.
 Nevertheless, after all was said and done, I have had so many comments on how nice the buttons look with the different colors in them, I could never go back to the regular old type bulbs! I just purchased some white LED's and they look great too! They make the buttons look like new and the super white color sure beats that dirty brown look that comes from the old type bulbs...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:09:29 AM by 5 ACES » Logged
EmmettLynch
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »

I am looking for an LED version of the mini light bulb that goes into the stepper light bezel, behind the coin amount and whatever else that bulb is used in. I have an S+ and was just curious if they even make that bulb in an led light. I believe the part number/bulb number is #86. Also, if they make these bulbs in an LED version, where is a good place to purchase them. Thanks!!

Hello were you able to find the bulb you were searching for? I am looking for led version so can you tell the source to purchase bulbs?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:13:49 PM by EmmettLynch » Logged
knagl

Kevin

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 03:38:03 AM »

Hello were you able to find the bulb you were searching for? I am looking for led version so can you tell the source to purchase bulbs?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Did you read the replies in this thread that you bumped after 3.5 years?  There are sources listed in the thread.

Mr. Dinoman
Mr. Dinoman
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 139

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »

Here is a source if you are still looking...

https://bcspinball.com/index.php?cPath=83_125

Jimmy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.