Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  Game Emulators
| |-+  MAME Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (Moderator: channelmaniac)
| | |-+  Whats wrong Im lost
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong Im lost  (Read 5336 times)
mkd3b
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« on: April 17, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »

started to mess around with the emultor to see if Its worth building a cabinet for it .  Finding out that most of the roms are non functional.  What am I doing wrong and what can be done to download all rom at once to find out which one are good?   new ground for me here

ArtD
reho33
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 146

Slot Losers of America / Tokie Owens

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »

OK, the ROMS have to stay in the ZIP files, if you unzip them they will not work. Check that first.

** NOTE: The information contained in any of my posts relating to slot machine ownership and use is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As is my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to conduct illegal gambling in states/provinces where it is unlawful has been declared against the law in those states/jurisdictions and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is up to you to determine if the information presented is applicable to your situation or not**
mkd3b
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 12

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:29:41 AM »

I do realize that but what Im encounter ing  is most of the downloaded roms have a file not found error associated with it  like more than half of the one s ive tried so far.  Dosnt seem worth the effort to have them not work

ArtD
rickhunter
SMAA Founder and Chairman
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 226

I Void Warranties

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »

you are probably only downloading the update to the working ROM.  If you are missing files inside your zip, then it's likely that the game depends on another rom to work, like a bios rom of some sort.  Try downloading something that doesn't require a bios, like Galaga or something old school like that.

A slot collector is like a coin hopper in a machine that never pays out.  they just keep on accumulating assets.
ruttrunner1
Contributing NLG Member
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 21

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

I have been pllaying around with the emulators and roms lately and had simular problems. An example would be Cruisin World would work fine but Exotica would give the error that youu mentioned.Not sure why this is I m using the latest MAME that is highly reccommended. I have stepped up to N64 now and added a controller. You will run into other goofy things like some games don't seem to have a button on the keyboard related to a certain function. Like there is a helicoptor game I want to play but no button on my keyboard works the gas so I can't map my controller to it. It will just take time to sift through and find games that you like and work with your components.
Yoeddy1
The OCD kit hoarder
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 233

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:43:07 AM »

If you were an arcade addict, MAME is a trip when you build or buy a dedicated cabinet.  Some of the roms also require a chd file which are HUGE in size.  I think some of the "Cruisn" and newer Midway games have both a rom and a chd.  MAMEUI is the easiest version to use if you want an easy interface.  Drop the zipped roms into the roms folder where you've extracted MAMEUI.  There is a lot of adjustment in MAME, but once it's dialed in, it's awesome!

Yoeddy's IGT Slot Machine Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Yoeddy1
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws

Go there and search for the game you are trying to run. Look at the ROM files for it and see if there's another set that contain some of the ROMs for the game you are trying to run.

What the MAME team did was create an emulated game then used it as a shared file set for other similar versions of the game IF they had the same ROM code.

RJ

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.