Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  How to find wires without disassembling the harness.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to find wires without disassembling the harness.  (Read 3367 times)
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« on: June 24, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »

How to find wires without disassembling the harness.

Lots of people think right away that problems are associated with the machine harness, or loom, which is the nerve column of the machine.
Generally this is NOT a problem.  In fact, you can often do more damage to your machine by tearing apart those Beau plugs than just leaving it alone.
If you need to know where a wire goes, to check point to point through your plugs, the simplest way to find out where a wire connects is by looking at the MALE side of the plugs.  Your reel mech has two male plugs.  You can pull it and look at the wiring, and then using a bit of logic determine where that wire goes on the Female side. 
In other words, you don't need to tear apart the female Beau to see what wires are there.  The male side will tell you. 
So, pull your other sub-units out, and look at their male side to determine where that elusive wire you're looking for is. Make a simple chart if you need to (recommended).
And then, with your meter on Ohms, and power plug pulled, check point to point to verify that you have a connection.
You can use a paperclip stuck into the female side to hook your meter probe on.
Hope this is helpful,and that it may prevent you from un-necessarily pulling those female plugs out.  Every time you do that, you weaken the integrity of the machine's harness.
OldReno
OldReno

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »

Another note, this is also a good technique if you want to chart-out your machine, or make your own schematic of what's going on.....
At least you can get a pin-out of your plugs, and that may help you with troubleshooting in the future.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »

I use a digital multi-meter on diode scale and a pair of alligator clips. After I find both ends of a wire then I can wiggle the harness to see if the tone cuts in and out. This tells me if the wire is faulty or not also. Works well when checking S2000 door harness'.
OldReno

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

Thanks Cowboygames,
This works well for just about any harness, and on most any machine.  And I often even use my very old logic probe (with built in battery).  You can also use an automotive tester, with battery and bulb. Sadly my hearing sucks, so using an audio device don't work for me.  BUT that's a great way to go if you can hear....
Yes, those old door harnesses are the worst, I agree, and don't forget to wiggle the crap out of them.
Thanks.
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »

My hearing is pretty bad as well.   arrow
I could never hear the high-pitched tone on my multimeter.  hissy fit

Sooo.... idea light bulb I dis-assembled the multimeter to get at the tone speaker.  stir the pot / get cooking
I drilled a small hole on the top front of the plastic housing next to the display,
and cut the wires from the tone speaker.
Then, I soldered them to a small, red LED and glued the LED lamp into the hole.

Now, whenever I get "continuity" reading, the red LED lamp lights up!   propeller
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

What? Speak up! Couldn't hear ya...  rotflmao
I have hearing trouble too with certain tones.  I can be in a room full of people, with PLENTY of volume, look directly at the person speaking to me and I get
"bla waa waab laaa laaa faa bla bla"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.