Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Video Slots** Gaming machines
| |-+  IGT Fortune 1 Sircoma/Poker.
| | |-+  Honey I shrunk the cards! Well not me, the machine did...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Honey I shrunk the cards! Well not me, the machine did...  (Read 18032 times)
cowboygames
Abbys Dad
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

You can start by looking for obvious stuff like a resistor that's got burn marks, a cap that doesn't have a nice flat top or obviously bad solder connections on the bottom of the board. You might get lucky with one of those, but if you can reroute those plugs to where you can futz with the differant controls to see what effect they have on the picture you'll make better progress towards figuring this out
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 02:52:59 AM »

Just a general warning since you said you've never worked with CRTs before: they can carry some extremely high voltage. Be careful not to touch anywhere inside the chassis or on the back of the monitor, even when it's disconnected.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »

I did know that but THANK YOU for the concern! I was an aircraft VLF navigation tech a million years ago and learned on the job, but I did have some electronics in school. I remember my electronics 100 teacher in high school would always leave a HUGE charged capacitor in front of the class for any unsuspecting students to fiddle with.  rotflmao
Of course, if that happened today...fired, lawsuit, jail time
Neonkiss

Total Karma Storms: 436

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

I did know that but THANK YOU for the concern! I was an aircraft VLF navigation tech a million years ago and learned on the job, but I did have some electronics in school. I remember my electronics 100 teacher in high school would always leave a HUGE charged capacitor in front of the class for any unsuspecting students to fiddle with.  rotflmao
Of course, if that happened today...fired, lawsuit, jail time

Ya, In my high school electronics class we would charge big caps. Hold them by the can and throw it to your buddy....
Worked best by calling out their name first to get their attention and as soon as they turned around, chuck it to them. Natural instinct is to catch something coming at you.  frying pan frying pan

Today one would be expelled.

Nothing brings people together better than a common enemy
343 / 60 brothers lost on that day.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »

Where are you guys getting shocked touching a crt while it's on(or off)? Unless you're shoving your finger under the cap for the anode lead to the tube you should be pretty safe. Scratch Head Where the Fortune series machines not wired well?
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »

Where are you guys getting shocked touching a crt while it's on(or off)? Unless you're shoving your finger under the cap for the anode lead to the tube you should be pretty safe. Scratch Head Where the Fortune series machines not wired well?

You right cowboy...but when somebody for the first time plays with those things...
the 1st thing they do is stick a screwdriver under that big rubber thing!  rotflmao

"Hey...what's under there?                         BOOM!

The screwdriver needs to be grounded with a lead
and clipped to the chassis with one of your hands in your pocket.....or else.
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:56 AM »

LOL, been there, done that, except it was a high voltage probe on a running tube and I'd knocked the ground off as I was reaching in to the anode lead. It's ticklish when you're just discharging a tube. It's a little more than that when the set is running bust gut laughing Anyway, point is, you gotta pay attention to what you're doing when the back's off the set yes
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »

Where are you guys getting shocked touching a crt while it's on(or off)?

There's a video on YouTube of a guy discharging a monitor by using a flyswatter covered in aluminum foil hitting the circuit board plugged into the neck of the tube -- lots of sparks until it finally loses all of its charge.  Not the way I'd recommend discharging a CRT.

While I know the risk of getting the shock of a lifetime is pretty small, especially on the newer CRTs that are self-discharging, I always treat them with a healthy amount of respect, and assume that they're holding a deadly charge until I've discharged them repeatedly with the grouded screwdriver method.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 04:21:45 AM »

I may have one, let me check tonight. I don't have a machine in the shop, so tell me how many pins are in the plug.

If I have one ,you are welcome to borrow it to get your  monitor squared away.

Jim

Okay I've checked everything I could. Can't see any obvious part issues. I did use my little vacuum and just brushed and vacuumed the interior but the problem still is there. So, for Jim, here's a picture of my plug and I'll take your offer on borrowing your cable! Thank you.

* IMG_2224.JPG (257.17 KB, 1787x1032 - viewed 395 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »

Got my extension cable from Jim...THANK YOU. Since I'm not a CRT tech, I just did a video of my tweaking and the results, which unFORTUNately didn't fix my Fortune One. Like my little play on the word? Sorry the video is shaky...I didn't have a way to prop it up anywhere. But you can clearly see what it's doing, or not doing I should say. Also that "wavey" dark bar isn't a problem. I think that's just something to do with the camera catching the way the CRT scans, if I'm saying that correctly.
Here it is. I hope there will be an answer. Again, I don't see anything obviously blown inside the chassis either. It all looks fairly clean.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrXm1LxkPqc&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/yrXm1LxkPqc&rel=0</a>

UPDATE: The cards ARE bigger again! I don't know why...maybe just the tweaking on the back. But I still have the missing video portion at the bottom and the horizontal "noise" at the top. I could almost live with it like this but still I know there's something not quite right.  Scratch Head

UPDATE AGAIN: I took the CRT back out again and fussed with the controls and with the brightness in the back. As you can see in the picture below, it doesn't look half bad!!! It's back to full size I think and I was able to just "black out" the lower area where there was no video and then adjust the colors to get rid of the bleed over.  I think this background was supposed to be blue (see reply#9 for blue picture) but when I make it blue, then the dead video area becomes visible. I think I like the black anyway...but as I said a few lines up...somethings not right.

* IMG_2241.JPG (662.67 KB, 2078x1294 - viewed 393 times.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:42:51 AM by shortrackskater » Logged
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

hissy fit Where did everybody go?  hissy fit
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »

Now that you've got it out where you can work on it, cross-referance the part number on the vertical output IC with the ECG number to get the readings for what the differant input and output voltages are suppose to be. Use a multimeter to then check them with the machine running. If the inputs are low then trace it back to the cap or resistor that's changed value. If the outputs are wrong, replace the vertical output
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

cross-referance the part number on the vertical output IC with the ECG number to get the readings for what the differant input
How do I find the vertical output IC and what's an ECG number? What kind of voltage am I looking for? DC AC? I'm not a CRT tech...never worked on them before. I have a good multimeter so I can start looking once I know a little more on this. Thanks so far, though! Did you see my video?
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

If you google ECG you'll find they're a maker of electronic replacement parts and there'll be a cross-referance guide and chip diagrams on their site. Your vertical output, on that chassis, will be a 7 or 9 leg IC attached to a sheet metal heat sink probably close to the back of the chassis and the part number will be printed on it. Probably start with LA something. I've never held one of those so I'm going from what was common on chassis' from that time period. Anyway, when you get the part number off the chip you can then cross it on ECG's website and they'll provide diagram info with what each leg and what voltages should be there. Maybe someone will pop in here with the chip number and save a little time here
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »

A friend of mine just found me this:
http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Monitors/Electrohome%20G07-902_Manual.pdf
riverratmike
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:05 AM »

interesting thread, did you ever get it fixed?
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Insert Coin

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:22 AM »

Well not really. One of the members here loaned me a cable to do some adjustments on the monitor with it out of the unit but I was unable to find anyway to "spread up" the picture. I don't have enough electronics knowledge to fix it myself so I just adjusted best as possible. It works but I know the cards could be bigger! CV slots also suggested I just send in the monitor to have it rebuilt, which I'm still considering.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.