Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  Adding ZIF Socket to S2000
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding ZIF Socket to S2000  (Read 13485 times)
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »

Staz  If your talking about the socket I post a picture of in reply #5  that's true SB chip goes into a new socket and is never removed from that socket. Then you install the SB that's on the new socket onto the board

TOP picture is of a piece of crap ZIF

Bottom picture is a SB chip installed onto a socket.

* PICT0047.JPG (670.64 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 224 times.)

* PICT0048.JPG (706.03 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 249 times.)

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
TheChad
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 5

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »

Staz  If your talking about the socket I post a picture of in reply #5  that's true SB chip goes into a new socket and is never removed from that socket. Then you install the SB that's on the new socket onto the board

TOP picture is of a piece of crap ZIF

Bottom picture is a SB chip installed onto a socket.

Buzz,

Okay that ZIF is definitly not the low profile ZIF I posted, and the one many others have used with great sucess..

For the SB, using the Jameco low-profile ZIF is definitly the best option..

For the 32-pin game chips, using the pass-threw socket you posted seems to be the best option..

-TheChad
staz
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 156

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »

okay so when i install my chip to this socket then i plug this socket into this board? will those pins on that socket damage the sockets on the board at all??
 buzz wanna sell me a couple of those sockets?

* 01.jpg (34.25 KB, 250x250 - viewed 306 times.)
TheChad

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:14 AM »

okay so when i install my chip to this socket then i plug this socket into this board? will those pins on that socket damage the sockets on the board at all??
 buzz wanna sell me a couple of those sockets?

Starz,

No, it won't damage the board socket...  It's the same exact socket as the board socket, just not soldered into the board...  It's a pass thru.. But if you bend/break or other wise destroy the pins on the pass thru socket, you can just remove the EEPROM and install it in another pass thru socket....

That said,  what's to stop you from bending/breaking the pins when you install or remove it from the pass thru socket??  That is why the low profile ZIF is a better choice..  It's less than $10.

-TheChad
brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 20

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:48 AM »

I was wondering though will those replacement sockets fit directly into the precision sockets on the enhanced MPU?  
TheChad

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »

I was wondering though will those replacement sockets fit directly into the precision sockets on the enhanced MPU?   

The pass thru sockets?   Why wouldn't they?  They are the exact same sockets!

-TheChad
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:08 AM »

brianfink  Yes they will, here's a picture.

Staz  I won't sell you any sockets, but I'll give you some.  I'll send you the type like you have for you SG chips and maybe you won't have near the trouble installing the base chip. I looked and I don't have your address, please PM it to me.

* PICT0051.JPG (705.21 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 282 times.)

Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »

The pass thru sockets?   Why wouldn't they?  They are the exact same sockets!

-TheChad

Chad Are they the same socket ???

brianfink
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 20

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »

That's cool I'll have to get some of those I dont mind the socket on the older boards but I hate the enhanced boards because of that eprom socket and the green battery, know of a fix for that too. (aside from replacing it)
TheChad

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21:13 PM »

I use only one on a S-2000, 40 pin low profile ZIF for the stepper base chip. I usually do not change the GME 1 & 2. I use
the SG000363 for most games so I don't have to change them. They can be inserted and used
without soldering them in. The 32 pin you show is the diiferent type. It has vertical lever on the side. Not
sure it will fit (thicker base).

Ron (r273)

Ron,

Now that I have my machine, I took out the main board and I also have the SG000363 GME 1 & 2 Chips.   I think as you said I am just going to get the 40-Pin Low-Profile ZIF for the SB chip, and just scratch the idea of putting a ZIF on all my sockets..

Thanks!

-TheChad
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.