Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 10:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  809 new to me..where to start?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 809 new to me..where to start?  (Read 18421 times)
poof
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »

I just picked up an 809 that looks complete.  It lit up but thats all.  First thing i did was free up the air piston...learned that from my e1000.  I have no keys, so i took off the door lock stuff.  It lights up, but only a few things on the front door, nothing up top, the coin things on the door seem to make something make noise.  Im not used to this type of machine, any idea what to look for first? I have no books or diagrams for em machines.

Thanks for any help.
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

Push down on the coin switch on your door & listen if anything happens.  Are insert coin, coin accepted or winner paid lights on?  If not, and there are no lights on the top unit, check your fuses.
Pull out all your subunits and check the switches to be sure they open and close.  Lube anything mechanical that appears sticky or binding. 
Look for loose or unattached wires and bad solder joints.  Read the post on using jumpers (in electromechanicals) to be able to check your lights and coils to see if they're working.
Let us know what kinds of things aren't working.  Send pics.
See if it takes coins.
read post on how to get free handle pull if it doesn't.
Play around with it.
Cool.
poof
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »

Thanks for the rely.  The only lights that come is the flouresent belly light, 2 bulbs on the right side of the door brightly, 2 lights on the left of the door dimly.  When triggering the coin in switch, there is a clicking from the top of the machine...a counter of somekind like a pinball reel score.  When i trigger the payout switch a counter by the reels tallys, when i do this and have the door switch closed, another counter tallys paid out.  Thats all I got.  I read about the jumpers....confused, jump the colors mentioned to what?  No one has a download of this book by mead?  Thanks
poof
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »

Acouple more lights i forgot about the light over the payout tray works as does the call attendant light will flash.

* bally em 003.JPG (188.45 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 303 times.)

* bally em 004.JPG (193.63 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 295 times.)
poof
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

door pic, all fuses good

* bally em 005.JPG (201.02 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 236 times.)
OldReno

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »

Check your door carefully to see if any of the bulb tabs are touching to case.
Pull out the top unit and check it out. make sure units step up and reset mechanically.  Look for bad switches while you're there.
Read as many posts on EM's as you have time for, a lot of info on there.........
If you can find your trip relay (coin relay assembly) on the lower left side of the reel mech, trip it, and then put reel assembly back in and see if the handle pulls.
If not, read section on how to get free handle pulls, (EM section) and play the machine for awhile.
Sometimes after you loosen it up like that it'll start behaving.
Off to dinner with sweetie, talk later....
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »

With the Bally EM slots the first thing I do is to clean the contacts on the blade switchs. I like to use a small folded piece of paper and rubbing alcohol. Never sand or file the contacts. I also like to test there operation with my OHM meter. Sometimes they look to be making contact but you meter will tell you other wise. Just like the later Bally E-Series slots, you need to make sure everything is oiled and moving nice and free. These early Bally EM machines need to be played regularly to keep them working. If you let them sit then the contact lose it.

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »

This machine looks familiar! It looks like my machine other than there's bars where all my melons are. I'll be following this thread. You've got the BEST help with you.  applause
poof
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »

Thanks for the posts.  I put the handle into free play.  The reel assembly looks to be working properly, spins, stops.  Many pulls.  The machine is not powering up completely...The coils for the coin slot and coin diverter to not energize, only basic lights on door.  I guess to go any farther i will clean all contacts as suggested, I thought there would be something else to look at as far as the power goes.  I like how the e series have the test points...nothing like that on here i guess.  Seems like a good project while the race is on sunday. Thanks
OldReno

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »

check your 50V fuse, the one with the orange wires.  That runs all your coils and solenoids.
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=17550.0
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=17558.0
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=17559.0
Some misc links for you to follow.
Most things on the EMs can be repaired, no chips to blow up, etc.  Love them.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »

One thing to check that can cause a problem on the EM slot are the Beau plugs that connect the hopper to the cabinet and the reel assembly to the cabinet. They can have corrosion or  become damaged. I have sprayed them with WD40 in the past and then worked the hopper and reel plug by sliding them together and taking them apart 4-5-6 times.. When done wipe them down to clean off any over spray.. Doing this will sometime clean the plug and help with connection issues..

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
poof
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

I have cleaned all of the contacts.   I have also lubed the mechanisims.  Now i have the 1st coin in light on the top of the machine.  Still there is no power going to the coils on the door.  I need to find out where this power comes from and test from there.  There is a transformer in the left rear.....any ideas where to to test the outputs/inputs to it? I have the mead book on its way, it should help.  Thanks
OldReno

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »

Power comes from the transformer, through your fuses.  Did you check your 50V fuse? That runs all your coils....
OldReno

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

Sorry, I see in one of your posts you say the fuses are good.  Never mind.
Put your meter on 50VDC, and check power at several locations throughout the machine.
You should read 50V between solid orange wires and solid yellow wires.  Also, you should read 6V between solid blue wires and solid yellow.
See where you have these voltages, and where you don't.  You can also check these same wires on the transformer, and at your fuses, as well as on the door (the lockout coil behind your coin acceptor).
Push down on the bowl of your hopper and see if it activates or deactivates your coin diverter coil and flap on the door.
Release your coin relay assembly (in a prior post), put back in the reel mech, and try the coin switch to see if you get odds step up.
The key to knowing if you have 50V is if you hear anything when you push the coin in switch.
Note, not all coils are 50V.  You have one in the front of the hopper, and probably that one on the door are 120V so be careful around them.
poof
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »

Thanks for the tips.....I checked the orange to yellow wires right at the transformer, they are right next to each other.   There was no voltage between them.  I then checked resistance between them....it is open....that would leave me to believe that the transformer is bad?  Thanks for any tips on the next move.
OldReno

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »

I don't know how well you use your VOM, but I assume power was on and the machine was lit up when you checked for voltage?
And hopefully also, that power was NOT on when you measured resistance?
Try measuring voltage between yellow and Blue.
Also, for giggles check voltage between orange and blue, it should measure somewhere around 57V.

ALSO, my error, YOU SHOULD BE READING VOLTS ON THE AC SCALE..., this is an AC machine, very sorry about that. Haven't had enough coffee yet today.
poof
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »

so all readings are acv or dcv?   Dont confuse me...lol
OldReno

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »

ACV.  Again, my error.  It's an AC machine.
poof
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »

heres the readings from the transformer.....
orange/yellow   53

yellow blue   6.5

orange/blue    60
poof
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »

while trying to figure out the electrical issue i cleaned the case....these things really shine up nice.  applause

* after 018.JPG (189.81 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 255 times.)

* after 019.JPG (184.95 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 234 times.)
OldReno

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

Sounds good!!!
Now you might want to use your ohms scale, with power off, and check continuity along your orange wire, wherever you find it on the machine.
Should be going to your door, maybe the top unit, the reels, and hopper, handle, etc.
Look at the plugs (for example your reel mech, pull it out and look to see where the orange wire goes and then check the MACHINE plug side to verify you have continuity.  You can use a paperclip on the female plug side of your harness.
Clip on to the orange on your transformer, and see where it is good, and where it is missing.
If none of your coils are working, it is probably a missing 50V feed (orange wire) in my opinion.
But I am often wrong.  At least this will give you something to work on, and also get you more familiar with your machine.
Good job!
poof
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »

quik test ....orange continuity from transformer to ....hopper....coin in switch on door
poof
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »

update ...new door lock installed...no difference with dooor actually closed and locked.....I have continuity fro transformer orange to upper machine case orange.  Those plugs are kinda loose...how reliable are these molex connections?
OldReno

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »

They're generally ok, but you can often spread the Male pins a little bit to get better contact.
You might as well check all your bulbs, since you have a meter, and replace those that are bad.
You need a starter for your belly glass, but you can swap them out after the machine is powered up to get it lit.
You can check all your coils with 2 jumpers, and that will ensure that they are all working.
Clip onto yellow on transformer, and then orange with the other one, and then clip orange on to each coil (to the orange wire...duh) then touch the yellow jumper to see if your coils are working. You can do this without units in the machine if your jumpers are long enough. If your coils are all good, then we seem to have a break in the 50V feed somewhere I'm thinking.
As long as I'm here, I'll keep at it to help you get machine working.  I do appreciate your energy and enthusiasm to fix it.
That's pretty cool.
Perhaps others can chime in with suggestions.
Keep checking continuity on your orange (50V wires) and see where you are missing it. 
Again, checking with jumpers will eliminate coil problems and help with diagnosis....
good job!  We'll figure it out.
poof
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

thanks for the help oldreno.....I am new to these but really like it.  will get more info soon......any others feel free to give advise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.