Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Super continental 891 feature unit wiring issue - Now runs a couple of issues le
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super continental 891 feature unit wiring issue - Now runs a couple of issues le  (Read 3366 times)
Jeff99
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 56

« on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:41 AM »

Hi,
I bought this machine earlier this year at auction and worked on it during the summer refurbishing the Reel Mech and Hopper. They are in good order and working properly, as I have pasted them by a Slot tech who worked on these machines when they  were on  the 'floor'.  Turns out my problems lie in the feature unit where someone - you can't make this up - installed a relay and a bunch wiring for some unknown reason. hence why the machine migrated out to a barn and to an auction house.

Since I wrote the original note I have fixed alot. The machine actually runs, thanks Barry, but I have 4 wiring issues, three are pictured below:

1.Not pictured.  I have never played this type of machine so I'm not sure how the key switch on the cabinet side is supposed to function:
     a. I assume it is the reset for  the credit counter.
     b. Does it simply reset the think to zero or does it count down each coun?
     c. Where is connected to.  The guy really cut this out and left no trace where it may have gone. Silly Me!

2. The ant-cheat switch seems to have an added switch - on a real close look it does look home made.  Is there a switch here or is this just junk?
3. The Odds motor has a switch to no where. Duh! frying pan  The number I saw in a manual should be Stack number starting from the motor and switch A - X starting from the
          bottom of the stack - like 2B Switch stack 2, second from the bottom.  My schematic has them labeled 1, 2, 3 through 12 or so.  Any idea where you start
          counting from?  Does the switch that is underlined really exist or did this guy  propeller added it and it is just a junk switch?  Don't seem to be able to add the picture Silly Me!
4. The counter switch stack has a switch that has two red wires that go no where - what is the switch and where do the wires go?

Just a few more things before I clean the feature unit, replate the door and have a new machine.

Thanks,
Jeff

* anti-cheat-smaller.jpg (75.79 KB, 640x480 - viewed 274 times.)

* Credit meter-smaller.jpg (85.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 281 times.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:26:40 PM by Jeff99 » Logged

Jeff
Talos
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »

I purchased a machine with the same scenario. What I did was find a wiring diagram, remove everything that does not appear in the diagram or original. The I put every contact back in step(with an adjustment wrench) and cleaned every contact. After that I checked for bad solder joints or wires that had come loose and re soldered. Especially check the male and female connectors for the real mech., payout unit, and feature unit. Clean and oil lightly everything. After I did that it worked perfect. I guess I got lucky. I hope this helps.
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:26:03 AM »

Is this a progressive?
Sounds like a thorny problem, and I'm not quite sure that I want to get involved....
Jeff, Pix 1, that's for sure a mod.
Pic 2, huh? Need a lot more pictures to work on this one. 
Anyway, they installed the relay for some reason, and we have to be detectives and figure it out.
Jeff99
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »

It's not a progressive - be cool if it was.  Do I need to start the hunt for one of those Silly Me!

The extra wiring seems to be somebody's "great" idea which never panned out.  I removed the wiring and the machine works, in fact I just disassembled the door and sent it to plating.  While it works I still have a few wiring questions.  The pictures have kinda hard to see black boxes around the questionable area, but they are very clear.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93610620/891/anti-cheat.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93610620/891/Credit%20meter.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/93610620/891/odds%20motor.JPG

The anti-cheat seems to have an additional switch installed in the stack, or did the switch do something?
The credit meter has a couple of red wires from the middle of the stack, so assume they actually did something and the switch was re-purposed by the guy for some reason.
The odds motor has the top switch on the 3rd stack wired to nowhere and I assume it did something else when wired at the factory.

Lastly the key switch on the upper right hand side of the cabinet has three prongs but isn't wired to any place - I assume its a credit/pay out coin switch but I can't make out from the schematic how it was wired in.

I have never seen an operational machine so is there a way for management to easily zero out the replay/credit counter?

When the chrome is re plated it will look like it came from the factory.  The cabinet does not have a single scratch which is a mystery!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

Let me be upfront and say that I'm not much familiar with credit replays.  Most machines I've worked on just pay out coins.  This may be something we can to get OPBell onto, as he has broader experience with this stuff.
However, you suggest the machine works???
Whatever they did is certainly a retrofit, as you can tell from the soldering, and build of the switch stacks.
AND there was probably some good thought put into the retrofit, otherwise I doubt they would have done it just for giggles.  Sol, if you can track down what you think they did, and where those misc. wires went to, then perhaps we can all collectively figure it out.
AFA the 2-way key switch, I'm guessing turn one way resets JP lockups, and turn the other way allows for credits to build up.  That is, unless you do have a separate JP reset switch somewhere else...?  In that case, it might be one way is credits, one way is cash/coins??? Or one way is credits accumulate, and the other way is credits reset to zero???
BTW, I don't think I've ever seen a Continental Progressive, but just had to ask...
If you can take a bunch of pics of the innards, that would be a nice thing to post up for posterity and discussion.
But the thing works, right?
Jeff99
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

OldReno,
The machine works.  I think the retrofit they did was an idea that broke the machine and it went from being a project to a storage shed machine.  I was luck the rats hadn't done damage as they has stared to make some nests.
The cabinet was in perfect shape - just like from the factory, the chrome was all pitted, and the hopper area had started to rust.  When the chrome gets back from the plater it will look like a new machine.
I will take pictures of the feature unit this weekend.
Regards,
Jeff

Jeff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.