Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  Non working Hopper - Need Help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non working Hopper - Need Help  (Read 6675 times)
danatlvc
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 4

« on: March 26, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

Hello,

I'm a Newbie & Green to Electromechanical Machines. I have 2 of the same machine/one nickel & one quarter. Recently I hit the double bars on my nickel machine & it payed off & then the hopper stopped paying out next pay. Machine still works fine except it doesn't pay. I took the quarter hopper & put it in the nickel machine & it works fine, so the problem is in the hopper. I took the hopper apart & found the resistor was broke in half at the Delay Relay? Would this stop it from working as the coils all look fine & the motor is fine? I replaced the reset coil with no luck. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated?

Also what wattage etc. do I need to replace the resistor, as it has no markings?

Thanks,
Dan

* MITZY 041.JPG (245.36 KB, 897x1278 - viewed 238 times.)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

Can you post a good picture of the broken resistor? Are there any color bands on it? OldReno or Amachanic will probably know the value of that resistor. I'm sure one of them will chime in soon!
danatlvc

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »

Bands are yellow, purple,black or dark navy blue? & silver

* Resistor 006.JPG (384.11 KB, 1880x1408 - viewed 278 times.)
Ron (r273)
NLG Welcome Wagon & General Chat
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 401

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »

This might help.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/4-band-resistors.html?WT.term=resistor+colors&WT.mc_id=Thermistors%2C+Resistors%2C+Potentiometers&WT.medium=cpc&WT.campaign=Thermistors%2C+Resistors%2C+Potentiometers&WT.srch=1&WT.content=text&WT.source=bing&cshift_ck=33bd614f-c078-4ea9-aca3-6ad4e6c42ec5csepr7u6uvI

Ron (r273)
shortrackskater
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 192

Insert Coin

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

Hmmm...
Bad boys rape our young girls, but violet gives willingly...
If I'm reading right, looks like a 47 ohm resistor 10% tolerance. Is there a wattage rating? I like that calculator...easier than the color code that I wrote out...my teacher taught me that in high school!!  bust gut laughing
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »

Looks to me like a 47 ohm, but don't quote me on that, not knowing for sure the 3rd color band.  See if your other hopper has the same resistor to be sure....  Make sure you replace it with the same wattage, not a smaller one.  I don't think delay relay would stop hopper from paying, all it will do is perhaps make it time out sooner.
AFA your pays, does the hopper board reset after you pull the handle, or does your winner paid light stay on?  If light stays on, check your payout counter reset switch (the zero switch) on your hopper.  Probably not closing after a pay, which will keep your hopper from resetting.
CommTech

Total Karma Storms: 251

Joe

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Looks like 47 Ohms to me also. (Assuming third band is black as it appears).  yes
Hard to determine the Wattage by the picture, but I would guess maybe 1 Watt?

I would suggest taking part of it with you to Radio Shack or some place that sells resistors to compare the diameter with another similar sized resistor to determine the wattage rating.  
danatlvc

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »

Thanks All,

The winner paid light did stay on & I reset it by hand & next pay didn't pay
I will check the payout counter switch as advised - Thanks
It's a 1 watt 47ohm 10% like that it's in the other hopper - Thanks
I kind of thought the resistor was not the main problem for the non pays & hope to find & fix whatever it is

I'll try anything all & will appreciate any input

Thanks,
Dan
danatlvc

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »

Zero switch contacts are closed & the winner light stays on & hopper doesn't payout?

Any other suggestions  Hail
Jim
MIDWEST SLOTS

Total Karma Storms: 288

513-984-2201

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »

here is how the hopper works, when a hit is on the payline a ground is sent to the payout relay switch (on the back of the hopper) when this relay is energized there is a set of four contacts (two in parallel, bottom sets , these apply 115 vac to the motor and coin kicker. see if the plastic part is melted on the white plastic piece that moves when the relay is energized. that the first thing to get working.  however, the ground that goes to that relay comes through wiper fingers on the payout disc.   you should be able to test that circuit out of the machine,  there are two coils on that disc assembly, both are behind it, one counts up the wiper disc, CCW, the other is behind and in the lower left corner,( reset coil)  reset the counter--Push the plunger on the coil, now push the plunger on the step up coil, when the counter is reset, the zero switch is open, on the first click on the count up coil the zero switch closes, and remains closed for the rest of the count. with a meter probe on the gray field wire, the other on the two pay tab, you should have continuity , push the plunger on the step up coil two times , the circuit should open. you can test every payout using this method.

its the reset coil that also turns the winner paid lamp on and off, through the interaction of the switch it interfaces with.

Jim

MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma.
danatlvc

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

It was my Spiral Cam was cracked & just not quite putting the fingers to the metal. I just put a new one in a few weeks ago & very surprised it cracked/broke. I only turned it twice when installing??? Living & learning I am  Duh!  Scratch Head   Hail
Thank You All

* Spiral Cam 002.JPG (325.22 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 195 times.)
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »

It was my Spiral Cam was cracked & just not quite putting the fingers to the metal. I just put a new one in a few weeks ago & very surprised it cracked/broke. I only turned it twice when installing??? Living & learning I am  Duh!  Scratch Head   Hail
Thank You All

I've always set mine up and test off the smallest payouts. You have to remember the larger the jackpot paid out the tighter that spring winds, causing the spiral cam to hit the stop hard when resetting to zero. I check to make sure there is just enought tension on the spring so my smallest jackpot returns to zero. I learned the hard way my self by doing the same thing..

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
OldReno

Total Karma Storms: 175

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »

Gary, that's excellent advise...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.