Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  How the coin lockout coil works
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the coin lockout coil works  (Read 3211 times)
OldReno
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 175

« on: April 02, 2013, 01:36:33 AM »

How the coin lockout coil works
There are probably about 7 or 8 switches in the coin lockout coil circuit, and while I don't have schematic handy, most of them are in series, except for a couple of them.
So, when the coin lockout coil is off, the little bar of the paddle pokes through your coin acceptor, keeping the machine from taking any coins.
Let's figure out when we DO want this coil off, and therefor unable to accept money.
It should be off during reel spin.  Probably a NC switch on the 'C' stack on your reel mech, that opens during spin. A series switch.
It should be off during handle pull, which is your dashpot switch opening which is attached to your pump on the reel mech. A series switch.
It should be off during pays, therefor a NC switch on the payout relay on the hopper. A series switch.
It should be off during jackpots, otherwise you could coin off a jackpot pay.  Probably one or two switches in the top unit, on relays labelled JP#1 and JP#2.  Parallel switches, NC, open during jackpot.
Note, there is a N.O. switch to the lockout, by the way, which overrides the JP switches above, or bypasses them.  This is your jackpot reset key switch, on the side under the handle, another parallel switch, I believe, along with the two JP# ones. Of course, to bypass the jackpot reset switch, just open the door and push down the coin in switch.  It still works, but the lockout coil is off, keeping a coin from hitting it.  Your finger works just as well, and no JP key needed.
And finally it should be off after you have inserted maximum coins, which is a little switch attached to your odds step up disc in the top unit. Of course you need a switch on your coin relay on the reel mech to overcome the max coin switch in the top from killing the machine forever.  Two parallel switches.
So, I count about 8 switches.
The first one I generally check is the dashpot switch.  You can do this from the outside of the machine if you have good ears.  Wiggle the handle a little bit, and you should hear the lockout coil turning on and off.  If your handle is out of adjustment, this is usually the bad switch. Or you can open the door and pull on the pump arm to check it.
If the machine only takes 1 coin, and all others are rejected, then check your odds unit disc switch in the top unit.
If it won't take any coins AFTER playing max odds, then it is probably your coin relay switch is staying open.  Check this by pushing the coin in switch down one time, and then your lockout coil should start working after your odds reset and your handle drops.
Yes, I know this is kind of a hazy post, but I hope to get you some idea of how the lockout works, and where some of the controlling switches are.
A lot of times you can use process of elimination to eliminate the suspected problem switches which may not be problems after all.
And you can always tell if your lockout coil is on, by pushing gently on the armature tab to see if you feel any resistance, or hear buzzing when you push it.
(Also I forgot the coin in switch, which if it is pushed down, will probably kill power to the lockout, too.  Sorry. That makes about 9 switches.)
I don't know that this misc. information will do anyone any good, but there it is....
You can verify all these things by putting a little piece of paper in between the NC switch contacts in this circuit, one by one, and then play the game and see how that effects the operation. Something fun to do on a lazy afternoon. The coin lockout coil is a stand-alone circuit -- all it does is turn on and off the ability of the machine to accept coins.  Like the Terminator, that's all it does.
If anyone has an old 809 schematic handy and extra, please send me one.  The 809 covers most basic circuits I believe, and it would help me to explain many other cool circuits.

And, if I missed something here, or described something wrong, please chime in and enlighten us so that we can add your corrections to this thread.
Thanks.
OldReno
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.