Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Bally S5500 no LCD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bally S5500 no LCD  (Read 4755 times)
Matt1999
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »

I purchased a used Bally Blazing 7's slot machine. It's a S5500 model. The machine turns on and everything appears to be receiving power. The door LCD display does not light up. The MPU has a flashing red LED next to the reset button. The flashing LED stays solid if I press the reset key, but still no LCD door display. So, I do not see any codes.

What can I do to start trouble shooting this?

Thanks!!

Marr
bigslope

Total Karma Storms: 6

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked around the inside of the machine to make sure there are no coins about which could short things out.
Also with the machine switched off I would pull the main board out then push it back in tight.

Also with the board out check for visual damage and make sure there are chips on the board !!

Thats as far as i can help.

Buzz on here helped me a lot with mine so you should wait for him and others once you try what i suggested.
Matt1999

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried all of that several times. I inspected the front and back of the main board and could not find any obvious damage. No missing chips.
I also tried the reset jumper and pressing the test and reset buttons. None of this made any difference.
Matt1999

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »

I made same progress! Looking at a MPU S5500 listed on the internet, I found that jumper JW4 was not set the same as the pictures. The jumper was set only on the first pin so I moved it to jump between pin 1 and 2, like jumper JW5. The it came up with a error code on the display!

Error code 81.

What can I do next?

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »

I made same progress! Looking at a MPU S5500 listed on the internet, I found that jumper JW4 was not set the same as the pictures. The jumper was set only on the first pin so I moved it to jump between pin 1 and 2, like jumper JW5. The it came up with a error code on the display!

Error code 81.

What can I do next?

Short answer: Replace the battery.  81 is a low battery. (Get used to it. knockout)

First, good job finding that misplaced jumper. applause  +1 (Karma, or whatever)   JW4, JW5, and JW6 are set open for 256k chips and closed for 512k chips. Closed is the normal setting.

For giggles, make sure that JW12 is also closed. That connects the battery. It's not something we usually tell people to check but since someone messed with your jumpers, you might want to make sure it's set correctly. That might solve your immediate problem.

The Bally S5500 Proslot eats batteries for lunch. While other machines can go 10 to 15 years or more without a battery replacement, the S5500's will burn through batteries every 12-18 months or less.

Here is a link to a battery mod by member cfh that I highly recommend*. It uses standard AA alkaline batteries instead of the special 3.6v lithium batteries, and by mounting the battery holder on the front of the MPU tray you'll be able to change the batteries while the tray is in place and the machine it turned on. In the future, this will save you from having to re-enter all of the setup options after every battery change. Don't forget the diode! It prevents reverse current from damaging the alkaline batteries.

Stat garfield

*Note that the picture is for a Wms machine and shows the battery pack mounted on the MPU board, not on the front of the tray, but putting it on the front of the tray for the Bally 5500 is a much better solution.

P.S. The red segment displays on the front are LEDs, not LCDs. propeller
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:03:03 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »

Thread moved this thread to the Bally Reel slots board.

StatFreak garfield
nlg  Global Moderator

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Matt1999

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »

I installed a new battery. I did a complete Clear. Now the reels are turning and there is a "4.0" code on the display. What does this refer to?

[I noticed my mistake LCD/LED after I posted. I guess I was just excited, I couldnt even spell my name right. It's Matt, not Marr  Duh!)
Matt1999

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »

It appears to be a reel initialization error. I removed all of the reels and cleaned the optics, performed a full clear, and continue to receive errors. Any advice?
Matt1999

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »

I think I narrowed it down to one reel. The few times I was able to get it to start without an error, when I played a game one reel did not function correctly. I moved the reels around and the problem followed. I took the reel assembly apart and checked and reassembled everything but it still does not work right. Where can I get a new reel? Do you think I need a motor and circuit board? Or just the motor or circuit board?
Matt1999

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »

To try to isolate the problem I moved, one by one, the plastic reel, circuit board, and motor to another reel that was working. The problem only followed the motor. Does that make sense? Would a reel motor cause a 40 error?

It's a Stepping Motor 4H5618x0606

Where can I get a replacement?
galahad
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried all of that several times. I inspected the front and back of the main board and could not find any obvious damage. No missing chips.
I also tried the reset jumper and pressing the test and reset buttons. None of this made any difference.
Am having the same problem, just a flashing reset lite on mpu, and nothing on display! Changed batteries and checked jumpers, and tried a reset!

The second smartest man say's, "I don't know'. The first smartest man say's,"I don't know, but I know who to ask"!
rslots
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 7

I can fix it!

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:46 AM »

Matt, if you still need a reel or anything else for the Bally S5500, just PM me or email direct to jim@rslots.com.  I have plenty of parts for that model. 

Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.