Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Reel Games. (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  E2270 sound never worked, trying to fix...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E2270 sound never worked, trying to fix...  (Read 5696 times)
TheRealMacGyver
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 0

« on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »

The guy I bought it from said that the guy he bought it from "disconnected" the sound, because it was acting iratic!  But he also gave me an additional sound board with the machine.  After looking for where he disconnected the sound, I don't believe it is disconnected anywhere.  The speaker is plugged into the board.  So, I decided to clean up the spare board and swap it out.  Pulled the socketed ICs, cleaned and reinserted them.  Then swapped hoping to near something.  No dice!  The 2 boards are mostly identical, except the spare I have in the machine now has an additional socketed IC in the spot of the board below that is blank.  Below is the board that was originally in the machine when I acquired it.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »

Did you try turning the volume control pot up and down. I know that sometimes helps..

Gary

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 23

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

Do you have the ribbon cable connected from the I/O board to this sound board? And make sure it is polarized properly at each board.

And as Gary mentioned, rotating the volume control pot, that is directly under the 3rd large IC, back and forth several times will make for a good conection.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »

Do you have the ribbon cable connected from the I/O board to this sound board? And make sure it is polarized properly at each board.

And as Gary mentioned, rotating the volume control pot, that is directly under the 3rd large IC, back and forth several times will make for a good conection.

If I remember right there should be a small daughter board attached to the I/O that the ribbon cable hooks from the sound board.

Gary

TheRealMacGyver

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »

The ribbon cable is connected and it is going to some smaller board piggybacked on another board.  Speaker plugged in and I have turned the pot back and forth.  When I turn the pot with the board I have in now, I can just slightly hear white noise, which gets louder, but not too loud as I turn up the volume.  There is also a button that does nothing.  With the orignal board in, when I would push that button I heard a tone beep, but this one doesn't do that. 
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »

The board that makes noise I think is a good start. The red tracer on the ribbon cable I believe should line up with the #1 that is printed on the sound board. At the other end of the cable the red tracer should line up with the corner of the green socket which is slightly flattened on the corner of rthe socket(very hard to see). Make sure the piggyback board is connected to the I/O board correctly. It could be off one set of pins because it's hard to see in there when the piggyback board is inserted. Is there any bad spots in the ribbon cable? Are all the chips installed in the correct sockets and polarized properly. Post a pic where it is all connected to the I/O and the sound board if you can.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

Are we sure the speakers good?

TheRealMacGyver

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »

I started thinking about the polarization comment and had another look.  The ribbon cable was not correct.  What is really strange is that both sides were backwards, so I was really scratching my head!  After looking at some of the other ribbon cable plugs it was clear they both had to be reversed.  I know I didn't do that, because I took pictures and put it back the same way.  So I have sound now.  I am wondering if the original sound board works now, so I may swap it back when I get a chance.  Also wonder if the sound type maybe different? 

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it very much.
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

Good call Tim.  +1 (Karma, or whatever) on the Karma

Gary

FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »

the piggy back board has a wire harness to goes to it with 2 wires as well as the ribbon cable.
TheRealMacGyver

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »

Tried the other board and nothing, so I put the working one back in.  Firgured you guys might like to see and hear it in action, so I made a video.  Not the best quality with iPad, but should at least hear it. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jhbMkwXxGWg&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jhbMkwXxGWg&rel=0</a>
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »

That's sweet.. I think that's the first e-series I've seen with working sound. Nice job.. applause

Gary

TheRealMacGyver

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »

Thanks.  I'm glad it wasn't too bad.  Sound does make it a little better to play. 
tkrozleski
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 02:11:35 AM »

Awesome!
Is the dip switch set to the attract feature, when the machine sets idle for several minutes it plays a short tune and flasshes all the lights?
Just an option you may or may not like.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.