Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  Bally Electromechanical
| | |-+  1978 bally 1088-1
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1978 bally 1088-1  (Read 9936 times)
ajc2103
New NLG Member 1 to 100 Post

Total Karma Storms: 1

« on: August 26, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

I just picked up a bally 1088-1, i have no knowledge of slot machines and there is nobody that can help me in san diego. the one repair shop in san diego said that they only work on machines prior to 1980. the problems that i am having are... when i put a coin in the slot it just drops straight through the machine into the cabinet and the machine doesn't register that i inserted the coin and the tilt light keeps illuminating. I can get the tilt light to turn off if i wiggle the hopper. any thoughts or ideas of how i can try and fix these issues would be great. also if there are any manuals or schematics available i would love to get my hands on them. thanks in advance for any help. Andrew
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:46:29 PM by ajc2103 » Logged
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »

NLG Welcome Andrew wave

Is this an Electro-Mechanical machine or an E series? The model number suggests EM but the fact that your local shop refused to work on it suggests E series.
For the time being I've moved this thread to the Bally Reel Slots board.

Please Post Pictures of the inside and the outside.

StatFreak garfield
nlg   Global Moderator
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:52:14 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
ajc2103

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »

I will take some pictures when I get home, the tech I spoke to said that he only works on pre 1980's bally slots.
ajc2103

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »

after some tinkering with the machine i have discovered that the coin mechanism does register that the coin drops, the problem was the switch onthe bottom of the hopper was not making contact. I took the glass off the machine and found where the bell is located. i think my problem now lies in this area. I drop in a coin and one of the sensors clicks but the sensor that needs to move when the second coinis dropped doesnt click and the arm doesnt release. there are 3 reels in this compartment that i believe count the number of coins that you insert into the machine, the middle one appears to have been burnt... the numbers are gone and i can see smoke residue. I have posted a pick of the door and of the part I believe to be deffective. any thoughts on how to either fix this problem or where i might be able to purchase the entire part.

* slotpic1.jpg (667.44 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 2136 times.)

* slotpic2.jpg (1837.57 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 395 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:47:15 PM by ajc2103 » Logged
ajc2103

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »

couple more pics

* slotpic3.jpg (1323.71 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 381 times.)

* slotpic4.jpg (1357.37 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 382 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:47:55 PM by ajc2103 » Logged
StatFreak

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »

I will take some pictures when I get home, the tech I spoke to said that he only works on pre 1980's bally slots.

The good news is that you have an EM slot, which are basically always repairable, and not an E series (which are harder to deal with.) IMHO your slot tech was a jerk and should have worked on your machine. To say that he would only work on EMs and not E series is one thing, but to use an arbitrary cut off date without a description or pictures of the machine is ludicrous.

The unit you took out of the top (the half pic that didn't upload properly) is the odds payout unit (I might have the name wrong.) Those counters don't count the coins inserted; they are used to multiply the number of coins payed out when you win. Each one is tied to a specific number of coins played and is advanced once for each coin paid out. It then sends a pulse down to the main payout counter down by the hopper once for every n coins counted, where n is the number of coins you played. That's how the machine "multiplies" your payout.

For example, if you play three coins and win 10 coins x  3 = 30 coins, then the 3-coin payout wheel will advance once per coin paid but only send a signal to the bottom counter once every three coins. When the bottom counter has advanced 10 times it will shut off, but since the top wheel "absorbs" two out of three coin out pulses, you get 30 coins instead of 10.

If one or more of the relays is burnt then it would still need to be fixed.

There should be a large square board with a contact that has a bunch of arms (should be 10) coming out like tentacles and that rotates through the center. It is the odds relay. It should step up for each successive coin inserted. As you mentioned, there is/are relays that might be frozen or bad that could prevent the machine from doing this.

Don't worry about the numbers on those little wheels. Bally just "borrowed" those counters from their pinball division where they were used for the scoreboards.

I'll leave it to the experts to help you get it fixed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:47:09 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
ajc2103

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »

Sorry for the bad pictures, i deffinetly appreciate the help. if I new how much fun it was tinkering with theses machines i would have done it for years. I have a manual on the way so hopefully i can learn the names of a lot of the parts. I spent the last couple hours checking continuity of all the wires, everything seems to be checking out ok. are the relays the cylindrical parts that you can see in the pictures below? and if they are the relays, is there a way to test if they work properly? not to get ahead of myself but it appears they can all be removed and replaced, and if i need to replace where can i buy them. i watched the part in the second picture as i inserted coins into the machine, for each coin insetred the middle part would click once, it sems that when i insert the second coin the bottom one needs to move to indicate the second coin paytable an so on for the third coin but it doesnt. I also havent figured out why the arm doesnt release when i insert a coin... hopefully the problems are connected and not to difficult to fix. thanks in advance

* slotpic6.jpg (1367.9 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 390 times.)

* slotpic5.jpg (1411.18 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 413 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:48:11 PM by ajc2103 » Logged
ajc2103

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »

Now i am 100% sure i need to replace the parts in the pic below, they are all connected but for whatever reason they are not working together. when i test them for continuity i dont get any readings. anyone know where i can get replacements? and what they are called? they look like they are wrapped in wire and then covered with tape.

* slotpic5.jpg (1370.46 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 367 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:48:27 PM by ajc2103 » Logged
ajc2103

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »

wops, the machine is a 1978. i found a different tag on the machine
StatFreak

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »

Barry at Fox's Slots (foxsslots1) probably has them. He might be "under the weather" right now.  frying pan
(I'm taking about hurricane Irene arrow. Not suggesting that he's ill.)

FOXSSLOTS1
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 323

Me at work

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »

depends who you talk to - different definition of ILL works for me - anyway - still moving inventory - leaving Wed am to Florida - driving another truck back so I can't do anything for another week or so.
ajc2103

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:42 AM »

i spoke to the tech in my area and since the machine is pre 1980 he will take a look at it for me. If i decide that i can fix it my-self i will be sure to order the parts from foxsslots1, thanks for the help.
junkman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »

How's the machine coming along.

Always remember when you leave the house keep your eye's open.
ajc2103

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »

i have it with the tech at the moment, hes going to let me know if its going to live
junkman
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 2

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »

Keep us posted

Always remember when you leave the house keep your eye's open.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.