Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 06:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  **Reel Slots** Gaming Machines
| |-+  IGT S2000 and Vision Games.
| | |-+  IGT Reel Touch Topbox
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGT Reel Touch Topbox  (Read 10955 times)
Erant
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:04:45 PM »

If I understand correctly, the IGT Reel Touch units are basically IGT S2000 units, with a topbox. So I hope this is the right forum.

I recently purchased a loose topbox from an IGT ReelTouch unit. The topbox is basically just a PC with an LCD and touchscreen attached. As is my nature, I opened the thing, and began hacking around. Turns out it's quite easy to turn these things into regular PCs. Before completly nuking the machine, I saved the original contents of the harddisk, and stored them. After having my fun with the nice LED lightring (see appended YouTube links, for your viewing pleasure), I turned to the original contents of the harddisk, to see if I could run the original software.

Aside from the regular Windows operating system, I found one application. Booting this resulted in it failing somewhere along the line. After about 2 or 3 days of reverse engineering and hacking, I got the unit to go past all the security checks, and launch the main program. I was greeted by a prompt to calibrate my touchscreen. After doing so however, I came into a black screen. Debugging showed no abnormalities, so I came to the conclusion it could only be two things:

1. It is waiting on a reply from the netplex controller (which isn't there, so it's not exactly responding).
2. I need an extra CD which has the actual game on it.

As I understand it, the netplex protocol is closed. I did manage to reverse it ever so slightly, but the list of commands is quite long, so I gave up quite quickly. (I did manage to crash the unit with a red screen by sending a certain command).

So, can anyone with an actual ReelTouch unit help me out here? What does a unit do when it's booted up normally (without any CD in the tray)? Is there any documentation I could read about the NetPlex protocol?

Thanks in advance,

Erant

P.S

The promised YouTube movies:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OuYWFcr8b8&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6OuYWFcr8b8&rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/riv_1muyA38&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/riv_1muyA38&rel=0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SlPZiAA5hKg&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SlPZiAA5hKg&rel=0</a>
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 624

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »

Wow  - Read over 700 times and no thoughts  Scratch Head

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »

I don't think there's too many guys with these machines munch.... Scratch Head 2
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

I know - it has me really nervous and makes me wonder if I'm making the right decision.   
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

lol...If I were you...I wouldn't worry a thing about it... Wink
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »

Yeah - with this type of machine - there will be no kit changes - so I guess the wost problem would be changing a setting or two that I'm sure Jim will know how to do.

Then as Wayne always says -  "Keep the door closed!"

stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »

Yeah, but I was already peekin' in it...lol
It's a beaut Munch!  Man, you're lucky to get one of those! Hail applause
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »

Yeah, but I was already peekin' in it...lol
It's a beaut Munch!  Man, you're lucky to get one of those! Hail applause

Yeah, but how many pieces did he have to put it into to transport it? We know that you don't worry about that!  Hail Was the fire department going to bill you for the extraction?  bust gut laughing

So, which one did munch get? Pictures? Video?  excessive drool

CaptainHappy CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »

I'm leaving tomorrow and will pick up Wednesday -   applause

There is a huge story behind this too -- Jim deserves the man of the year award for this one.  

I'll start another post and put Video and pics on Thursday (I don't want to jinx it!!)   -  I sure hope my wife will put on a cocktail dress and carry a plate of drinks around for this one!!
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

I'm leaving tomorrow and will pick up Wednesday -   applause

There is a huge story behind this too -- Jim deserves the man of the year award for this one.   

I'll start another post and put Video and pics on Thursday (I don't want to jinx it!!)   -  I sure hope my wife will put on a cocktail dress and carry a plate of drinks around for this one!!

hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »

-  I sure hope my wife will put on a cocktail dress and carry a plate of drinks around for this one!!
Please video her if she does...

Odie

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
jdkmunch
Senior Full time Member.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

Well she was in this for our Oktoberfest party so I may have a shot!

* SNV31099.JPG (899.48 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 339 times.)
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »

Thanks, now I'm craving some beer.  cheers 
Cute outfit though, She would look great playing my 99 Bottles of Beer machine.

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 11:49:40 PM »

Let me try and answer the original poster's questions...somehow I missed this when it was posted.

If I understand correctly, the IGT Reel Touch units are basically IGT S2000 units, with a topbox. So I hope this is the right forum.

The answer is yes and no to this. 

It is true that the bottom box is similar to a basic S2000 in that the MPU, bottom power supply, door, 5-reel shelf, etc. are the same.   Many parts are compatible and replaceable from standard S2000 machines.  But from there things get a little more complicated.  First, the power supply behind the reels does not match that of the standard S-2000.  It has a different pin out and power output.  Second, the enhanced sound is not obtained from a MM-lite2 board piggybacked on the MPU with sound simm as is typical with a S-2000.  Instead, all sounds are generated by the top box and delivered to the speakers from there.  Second, all graphics in the top box display, including the neato LED color ring are all delivered by the top box.  The top box, as you say is a computer, nothing more than a laptop actually, with Windows XP embedded.  It has it's own power supply, video / sound outputs, serial inputs, and yes, even a CD-ROM drive.

The best way to think about how this machine works, at least to me, is this.  All decision making is still done by the MPU.  That is to say the "results of the spin".  The MPU delivers credit and win information to the door LED displays, the spinning reels, and the reel backlights.  It then delivers the "results" to the top box computer.  The computer processes the information and then delivers the "results" of the spin in 3 formats; to the LCD display, the LED color ring, and then finally the enhanced sound.  The top box computer is really a "dumb" device that does nothing more than process information and forward the results.  It also acts as a relay of "touch" information, for example during a bonus round, back to the MPU.

I came to the conclusion it could only be two things:

1. It is waiting on a reply from the netplex controller (which isn't there, so it's not exactly responding).
2. I need an extra CD which has the actual game on it.

So, can anyone with an actual ReelTouch unit help me out here? What does a unit do when it's booted up normally (without any CD in the tray)? Is there any documentation I could read about the NetPlex protocol?

Actually, it does not need a CD in the drive to function.  The CD-rom on this machine is only for the purpose of loading the games software, i.e. graphics, sounds, and function, to the top box computer's hard drive.  It is actually possible to change the game by simply loading a new games softare from a CD to the top box computer.

Here is the catch and why you are having difficulty.  When first turning a Reel Touch machine on, the bottom box MPU does it normal start-up and then will report in the LED display the message "waiting on top box video display".  It's doing exactly that...waiting for the computer to boot up.  Meanwhile the top box looks exactly like a computer booting up and even displays the "Windows XP Logo".  It is at this point where you are hanging.  It then automatically loads the graphics/sound program and LED color ring program.  A message on the screen comes up "checking for valid CRC's".  What it is doing is checking for compatibility with the game loaded on the top box and the game on the MPU's SB chip and ram.  If it does not make this "connection" then it will not run.

In your case, if you knew or could find out which game, for example Buck's Ahoy, Tabasco, etc., was already loaded on the box when you bought it, then you are on the right track to building a machine as then you could seek out the correct SB chip compatible with the top box.  But without that information, then you are forced to obtain an original game CD-rom to load into the top box again and you will still need the compatible SB chip.  The problem now is that you need to get a hold of the original CD...next to impossible to get and the CD's are impossible to copy also...at least that is what I have been told.

It is possible to change games on these machines as I have actively seen it done in front  of my own eyes, but if you want my advice, you have a long road full of disappointment ahead of you and if you are really interested in building a Reel Touch, it might be more work and money than it is worth and instead might consider purchasing one complete outright.

Good luck.

Jim

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
theDotster
Contributing Gold NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 219

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Wow, a year ago today from the last post.

I wish I'd seen this first time around.

If nothing else, it will make a great picture frame or jukebox.

When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my machines for how much I told her they cost.
Erant
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

Hah, yes, it has been that long.

They actually make excellent touchscreen devices. I bought mine 3 years ago for $100, and it was in perfect condition. I wish I'd bought a few more back then, as they seem to be extremely hard to come by now. I've completely reverse engineered the lightring around the screen, and it will display any pattern I want to. I've written a few that are calm on the eyes and not too distracting, as it currently runs a set of puzzle games (The Megatouch Force 2009.5 software).

If anyone wants to do the same to a unit they might have lying around, I have a replacement BIOS that needs to be flashed into the PLCC chip onboard and the software to use the lightring under Linux. Might have to dig a bit to find the Windows software.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.