Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  Electronic hobbies are becoming extinct
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Electronic hobbies are becoming extinct  (Read 3298 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

Soapbox Alert

It's getting harder and harder to do any old fashioned electronics work. Short of using Jameco or Mouser, discreet components (and other stuff) have just about gone the way of the dodo. Several years ago I started working on a variety of projects. One was a semi-autonomous robot rover shown below. Then for a couple of years, I didn't really do too much in this area.

In my recent pinball thread I used a voice synthesizer module (leftover from this robot project), but I wanted to find something a little better. I knew there were a lot of voice modules out there because I had a hard time deciding which one to get (back then). But after doing a ton of Googling, it looks like nobody is making them any more. Everything has been discontinued. bawling  no  

So I give it a few more years and trying to find any parts will be like trying to find a vacuum tube.  knockout

* robot.jpg (458.34 KB, 768x512 - viewed 320 times.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:59:54 PM by poppo » Logged
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »

You impress me with your knowledge.
Ford
 Clap Clap Clap
poppo

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:42 PM »

You impress me with your knowledge.

It's called too much free time.  rotflmao

I was pretty happy with the way the robot thing worked out. What was funny was it got to the point where I had so much crap on it, I forgot how most of it worked. It was like a Borg - assimilating everything in my parts bins.  Tongue Out

The first picture is another shot of in it's docking station (and charger). It used a laser line and a rear mounted camera to enable navigation to back up into it. This picture also shows the gripper arm in the down position. It had it's own 360 degree pan and tilt camera on it that was used not just for watching the gripper, but as a side clearance camera when the arm was raised.

The second picture was the last version before I retired it. I had added a retractable car antenna on the left side that also could be raised and lowered like the gripper arm. The idea was to mount some sensors on the end of it. I never got around to that. I had also replaced a couple of the cameras, but you can see the one on the gripper arm being used for side clearance. And yes, that black wire tie sticking out is a 'curb feeler'.   arrow

As for the original topic, try finding a web cam these days. Nobody uses them anymore either. no

* robot2.jpg (464.76 KB, 768x512 - viewed 253 times.)

* robot3.jpg (388.79 KB, 768x512 - viewed 254 times.)
poppo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

One more picture. View from the right side.

Besides for the laser guidance for docking, I had black tape on that docking station. The gripper arm camera could be rotated to look down at the rear wheel while backing up,  and one could line things up that way by driving the wheel on the tape. That could be used when remote controlling it (hence the wireless router). There were two micro switches mounted on the rear of each side (seen behind the rear wheel). When both were engaged the unit knew it was docked. if one made contact first, the unit would auto-adjust (stop that wheel),  so that the other one would also make contact.

The rear of the dock station also pivoted and slid side to side. You can see the curve cut into the wood guide. This allowed the dock to also self adjust for those less than stellar docking maneuvers.

Maybe this should be moved to the 'other hobbies' section.

* robot4.jpg (408.65 KB, 768x512 - viewed 294 times.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:38:36 PM by poppo » Logged
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »

That's really a fantastic piece of robotics poppo! wow!
I can only imagine all the stuff that's involved to make that work the way you want it to!
Thank you for sharing that with us... yes
I'm guessing you'll have no problem making a Jackpot confetti/streamer cannon!  rotflmao
poppo

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »

I can only imagine all the stuff that's involved to make that work the way you want it to!

Lots of  money and Pull Hair and banghead

rotflmao
TZtech

Total Karma Storms: 129

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

Cool Robot

Have to disagree on electronic as a hobby becoming extinct. Just look at the success of the Arduino and the popularity of things like maker faires. Yes most thing are going surface mount but you can get modules that are pre built. Have a look at the variety of shields avaialbe for the Arduino for example.

Spakfun has some really nice stuff but a bit pricey - Heres a link to what they have for speech synthisis - http://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=speech&what=products.

If you into robotics also check out - http://www.servomagazine.com/

Ian

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »

Not sure why I didn't post sooner, but that is very impressive Poppo!  Hail  applause applause

We have local fairs where high school and college students build robots, sometimes for robot competitions, and sometimes for other reasons. JPL is nearby, as well as Lockheed, and they always have strong presences at our local functions.

Stat garfield

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.