Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  ebay bidder with only 6 secs left!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ebay bidder with only 6 secs left!  (Read 14383 times)
DannyG804
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 190

« on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »

ok, so i place a bid for a kit on ebay and i'm the only bidder (i was checking often and even until about 14 min left)... until 6 seconds before the expiring time!!!  hissy fit hissy fit

are you fuckin kidding me?? i could understand if they placed a bid/bids before that and beat me to it. but to dive in in the last second and outbid me by $1 with his/her only bid??? can't imagine what kind of karma this snake will come upon.  angry-kitty
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »

ok, so i place a bid for a kit on ebay and i'm the only bidder (i was checking often and even until about 14 min left)... until 6 seconds before the expiring time!!!  hissy fit hissy fit

are you ***** kidding me?? i could understand if they placed a bid/bids before that and beat me to it. but to dive in in the last second and outbid me by $1 with his/her only bid??? can't imagine what kind of karma this snake will come upon.  angry-kitty

I didn't buy this kit, ( I don't buy kits ) but that's the way I bid.  I guess I'm must be some kind of snake !!  Why would anyone show their hand to early ??

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
stormrider
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 131

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »

Scratch Head  That's how Ebay works.
Why drive up the starting price wait until the shootout at the very end.

Tim
DannyG804
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »

i guess that makes sense in a way... at the end of the day i don't really give a rats ass, it's a kit i can live w/o. it was my first attempt at buying something on ebay - could very well be my last! NLG has worked out great for me so far, i've met some great guys here and bought some very nice kits! so who needs ebay??!!??  Angel Devil Teeter

I had to vent somewhere!!!
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »

I'm like you guys, can't imagine why there'd be 30 bids on an item that has 10 days left on the auction. Last minute shopping is the way to go. That's what watch lists are for. Snipping is an art. I didn't buy the kit either though, I get 99% of my stuff here on the forum
knagl
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »

Danny- You've been "sniped" by a bidder that swoops in at the last second -- it's a fairly common tactic used by eBay buyers to try and get an item at the lowest possible price for them.

If they were to bid on it when it has days left, then someone outbids them, then they bid higher, etc., the item price can be very high by the end of the auction.  If they place their maximum bid right before the end of the auction, they have a better chance of not driving up the price.

There are a number of software programs that will place a "snipe" bid for you.  I use eSnipe.com -- I just set my maximum bid amount and the software will automatically bid on my behalf right before the item ends.  As I mentioned, there are other sites/software programs that will do the same thing.

(...and no, I didn't bid on the glass kit you were bidding on)

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
Amachanic
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 308

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

I learned a long time ago to never bid early on Ebay no. If you do there always seems to be a new bidder thats going to run the price up yes. I love it when you watch two people get into a bidding war over an item and when it's a said and done, they could have gone to your local Target, or Best Buy and bought the same thing for less and they still had to pay for shipping on top of it all Duh!..

If it's jammed, force it... If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway...
DannyG804
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

i bid a day before expiration and there were hardly any bids on anthing else the guy was selling. so i assumed i was walking it right into paypal  Silly Me!

so before i fell asleep last night i checked again and there was only 1 bid = mine... with 14 mins left  frying pan frying pan frying pan he won it with one bid at the buzzer!

i have learned a valuable lesson here today. thanks for all the posts.  i have a feeling i'll end up with that same kit someday, and it'll be someone from NLG that will provide that kit for me  kool aid
coorslight115
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 79

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »

are you fuckin kidding me?? i could understand if they placed a bid/bids before that and beat me to it. but to dive in in the last second and outbid me by $1 with his/her only bid??? can't imagine what kind of karma this snake will come upon.  angry-kitty

What was the kit??  And no I did not buy any
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:52 PM »

my guess is that he was talking about the Haywire kit...
I saw it but I already have one.
I was amazed that there was only 1 bid on it because at one time...
this kit could have fetched a lot more!  yes

ebay bidders have gotten smarter and use the esnipe bid grabber.
that way it looks and appears like no one is interested in the item up for sale
and the winner can get the item as cheap as possible.

Basically, you ran right smack into the dog eat dog world of internet bidding... rotflmao
Buzz
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1158

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »

I'm ol School  my "esnipe"  is called a index finger !!  If I bid on something and really don't want it I use my middle finger.  If I wanted it and didn't get it, I really use my middle finger !!!

NLGs Motto  " IF IT AIN'T BROKE GIVE ME TIME IT WILL BE "
DannyG804
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 11:31:20 PM »

It was triple double dollars 3cm 9'' kit. Love the colors on it! It didn't have the sb chip yet didn't matter to me cuz I already have one. So it was a good deal/clean lookin kit so I took a stab at it... I'm a sucker for most triple double themes.
poppo

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »

I learned a long time ago to never bid early on Ebay no.

Normally I don't either. But if it's something that I have been looking for and it has a low starting bid, i will go ahead and place a minimum bid on it. That keeps the seller from ending the auction (if nobody has bid).

I don't use a snipe service, but I do wait until the last few seconds to throw out my bid. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 255

plunger buddies DEAD BOO HOO

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »

If you put in the max your willing to pay and someone bids higher weather they snipe or not if your higher you win ? or does this work differently than i think. i got cut off from ebay  for spending to much  can you believe that. i had to get there  paypal credit card to continue . IT came today  and took 2 weeks what a bunch of crap

SELL me your  TERMINATOR  I GAME TOP GLASS AND BELLY   ( Round Top )
poppo

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »

If you put in the max your willing to pay and someone bids higher weather they snipe or not if your higher you win ? or does this work differently than i think. i got cut off from ebay  for spending to much  can you believe that. i had to get there  paypal credit card to continue . IT came today  and took 2 weeks what a bunch of crap

If you put in a bid of let's say $20 and someone had a snipe bit of $19, then you will win provided they don't increase their bid. If you put in a max bid of $20 and the starting bid was $1, then your bid sits at $1 until someone bids more. If a snipe comes in at $16, then you will still win at $16.05 (or whatever the next increment is). If the snipe was for $20, then I think you still win because your bid was in first. If the snipe was for $21, then the other person will win, but they will have to pay $20.25 (or whatever the next icrement is).

I never heard of spending too much and being required to geta paypal CC.  Scratch Head
cowboygames
Abbys Dad

Total Karma Storms: 680

Happiness in life is a great dog

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

The statement is a little misleading. He had to get a paypal credit card and not tell his wife about it, so he could still shop on ebay  bust gut laughing bust gut laughing
Bettor Slots
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 751

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »

www.BidNapper.com   Learn it, Live it, Luv it....

Are you stuck needing a flat top kit?  I have for you what I believe to be a close to new, if not new, never made it to the floor, TD-Dollars kit w/ software....but it's a round top.  If you like blueberry pie, then it's for you...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:24:28 AM by Bettor Slots » Logged

If life is like a box of chocolates....why do I always seem to end up with the butter creme?
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:42 AM »

got one already

* P1010092.JPG (1274.23 KB, 1704x2272 - viewed 278 times.)

DannyG804
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:35 AM »

Flat top only for me. Thanks for the offer though!
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 05:58:50 AM »

I use a combination of bidnapper and my finger. The advantage of setting a bid with one of the online services is that it will go through even if I forget, can't be online at the end of the auction, or am experiencing an internet connection problem when the auction is to end. If find myself online during the last few minutes of the auction, I cancel my bidnapper bid (because I'm a cheapskate and don't want to pay for the bidnapper service if I don't need it) and bid manually within the last 5 seconds, unless the auction is cutthroat and I really want the item. In those cases I'll let bidnapper handle it, as a form of insurance.

The other big advantage to using a service is that you can cancel your bid at any time, since there really is no bid. The online services only hold it for you, but don't submit it to fleaPay, so you can cancel or change your bid anytime before the last 5 minutes of the auction, when they cue up your bid for submission. Of course, if you bid manually in the last seconds, there is nothing to cancel or change. arrow

Using a service also helps to curb impulsive over-bidding, since it forces you to really think about how much you're willing to pay for something. You set your maximum price early, before there is any pressure, without disclosing your interest to any other bidders, and let the chips fall where they may.

I used bidnapper mostly when I was bidding on Star Trek items being auctioned off by itsawraphollywood. Those auctions were viciously cutthroat and items would often go up several hundred dollars in the last few seconds. Bidding on Slot parts auctions was child's play compared to those.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:07:33 AM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
poppo

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

How does it work if multiple people are using the same snipe service and all have the same max bids?
PLUNGER BOY
Contributing NLG Member

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

How does it work if multiple people are using the same snipe service and all have the same max bids?
boom

StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »

boom

bust gut laughing bust gut laughing bust gut laughing

Bidnapper defaults to placing your bid a specific number of seconds before the end of the auction, but it can be changed by the user. So if one person placed their bid with 5 seconds left and another placed an identical bid with 3 seconds left, the earlier bidder would win, per eBay rules. I don't know what would happen if all parameters were identical, but I suspect it would be a crap shoot. Whichever bid ended up being sent to eBay first would win (assuming that no live bidder or sniper from another site outbid the two combatants.)

In practice, I doubt it happens much. Even in active auctions, there aren't really that many people bidding, and most of us "seasoned" bidders tend to add a few pennies and/or dollars to our bids just in case, making it even less likely to occur. Seriously, who bids $1500.00 for a hot item expected to reach that sale amount? $1500.01, $1501.01, $1503.26, etc. would all be more likely unless the bidder were a complete noob, as was our OP.

Keep in mind that all these snipe sites do is enter your bid for you at a specific time. From eBay's perspective, the bids are the same as if you entered them yourself, so it's not uncommon for a snipe bid to be rejected because the current bid on eBay has already surpassed it, or for you to never be the high bidder because someone else's earlier bid was higher than yours -- just as would have happened if the bid had been manually entered.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:16:52 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Luv2Camp
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »

6 seconds left????  That sounds like an amateur!  LOL!  When I slam bid, I do it with 3 seconds or less left.  Always hurts when a slam bidder gets beat by another slam bidder! 

That is how eBay works.  The nice thing about waiting until the very end is that you do not get emotionally attached and start over bidding on the item.  When I slam bid, I make a decision up front on the amount I am going to spend and hit it at the last moment.  I lose often but at least I walk away without paying more than I wanted to!
PWRSTROKE
Resigned NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 246

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »

e-bay.  The rule is ---There is no rule.  Gun'em down and take'em out.  I do not win many bids either on the few times I do bid.  I try to buy all my stuff BEFORE it hits the bay.  To many sniper programs out there to compete with.  Most time you would Over-pay on a hot-item. Probably good for the sellers though--- yes.  Buy your "sheet" if you see it before it goes to the bay/elsewhere.  This was just a few of my cents--Thanks B.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.