Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+  Forum
|-+  General NLG Chat
| |-+  Rants and Raves (SEE DESCRIPTION BEFORE ENTERING!) (Moderator: a69mopar)
| | |-+  My Diet Coke rant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Diet Coke rant  (Read 5424 times)
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 248

« on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »

Soapbox Alert

A few years ago a case of diet cokes was $4.40. Then one day they jumped up to like $6.00. And most recently they have gone up to $7.29 a case. 2 years of no COLA raises (no pun intended) because inflation has supposedly been low, but yet diet coke has almost doubled in price.  Scratch Head

So today they have them on sale at Wal-Mart with a 'roll-back' price of $4.97.  propeller So I grab like 6 cases. After I get home and get ready to put them away, I notice something. What's wrong with this picture?   wtf1   censored

* diet coke.jpg (394.56 KB, 824x617 - viewed 255 times.)
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 363

PET

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

Pepsi is doing the same. 20 can to a case
poppo
Contributing Gold NLG Member

Total Karma Storms: 248

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »

Pepsi is doing the same. 20 can to a case

I'm sure there are others. This is just the first time I've seen it. I'm more peeved that they made it look like it was a roll-back on the 'normal' cases. How can you have a roll-back on something you never carried before?  Scratch Head
a69mopar
647-402-1977
Global NLG Site Moderator

Total Karma Storms: 600

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »

They did similar  with potato chips.  Same size bag, fewer chips.

W

www.GTASLOTS.com      647-402-1977              BALLY S6000 GALLERY
CaptainHappy
NLG Site Administrator
NLG Site Administrator

Total Karma Storms: 622

I haven't met a Jackpot that I didn't like!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »

I think that the rollback is referring to the 4 cans rolling back into the manufacturer's inventory! Silly Me! Silly Me! Silly Me! Cry Laughing

I thas happened with all kinds of products... Ice Cream Cartons are smaller...

A really devious one is that they are making the bottoms of jars Concave! The Jar looks like the same exact size, but the concave bottom pushes up and reduces the capacity by a few ounces!!! muted

I say don't try and trick people, just raise the prices for the same thing if you must. Most consumers may not like the price increase, but will appreciate the honest! yes

CH CaptainHappy

Come sail away, Come sail away Come sail away with me..
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

Weis Markets here have been doing this for about 6 month. I don't buy it there anymore.
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »

Wow.  I usually stock up when they're on sale -- just last week they were $4.44/24 cans at the local grocery store when you bought 48 cans (4 12-packs).

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

This subject has been one of my pet peeves for years. Ice cream used to come in 1/2 gallon tubs. At the end of the 1990s Dryers led the industry in reducing the size to 1.75qts. They were very sneaky and kept the proportions of the the container identical so that the fewest number of people would notice. Unfortunately, most people didn't notice so they "perceived" that Dryer's prices seemed better than the competition. As a result, the industry followed suit shortly after.

Dryers did it again about two years ago and reduced the size of the once half gallon container to 1.5qts. This time they had to change the proportions because the change was too drastic to go unnoticed. Again, and unfortunately, the rest of the industry is following suit. We have one brand around here called Umpak (or something) that is still 1.75qts and I'll patronize their brand until they change.

Chunk light tuna cans were 6.5ozs until recently. They quietly became 5ozs about 8-10 months ago. Again, they kept the proportions the same to pull the wool over the public's eyes. Costco still has 7oz cans. I wonder how many people notice that when comparing Costco's price to the supermarket prices? I haven't checked the solid white sizes but they might have also been reduced.

We had a brand of Polish sausages that came in packages of 16 and weighed 3lbs. Early this year the price soared by 40% in less than 3 months and then they reduced the package from 16 to 14 links. I stopped buying them since they no longer match up with the bun packages. Screw them. I would much rather pay more, get 16 links, and have them match up with the buns than to have them try to quietly cheat me.

Potato chips were already mentioned. That includes Pringles. The kept the cans the same size but put less in them. For those who care, the low fat Pringles have always had less in them than the regular, and also use the same containers.

We'll know we're really in trouble when we start getting 8 or 10 eggs instead of a dozen. hissy fit  frying pan Weird Eyes
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:37:45 PM by StatFreak » Logged

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
FORDSBS
Contributing NLG Member

PET

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »

This subject has been one of my pet peeves for years. Ice cream used to come in 1/2 gallon tubs. At the end of the 1990s Dryers led the industry in reducing the size to 1.75qts. They were very sneaky and kept the proportions of the the container identical so that the fewest number of people would notice. Unfortunately, most people didn't notice so they "perceived" that Dryer's prices seemed better than the competition. As a result, the industry followed suit shortly after.

Dryers did it again about two years ago and reduced the size of the once half gallon container to 1.5qts. This time they had to change the proportions because the change was too drastic to go unnoticed. Again, and unfortunately, the rest of the industry is following suit. We have one brand around here called Umpak (or something) that is still 1.75qts and I'll patronize their brand until they change.

Chunk light tuna cans were 6.5ozs until recently. They quietly became 5ozs about 8-10 months ago. Again, they kept the proportions the same to pull the wool over the public's eyes. Costco still has 7oz cans. I wonder how many people notice that when comparing Costco's price to the supermarket prices? I haven't checked the solid white sizes but they might have also been reduced.

We had a brand of Polish sausages that came in packages of 16 and weighed 3lbs. Early this year the price soared by 40% in less than 3 months and then they reduced the package from 16 to 14 links. I stopped buying them since they no longer match up with the bun packages. Screw them. I would much rather pay more, get 16 links, and have them match up with the buns than to have them try to quietly cheat me.

Potato chips were already mentioned. That includes Pringles. The kept the cans the same size but put less in them. For those who care, the low fat Pringles have always had less in them than the regular, and also use the same containers.

We'll know we're really in trouble when we start getting 8 or 10 eggs instead of a dozen. hissy fit  frying pan Weird Eyes

Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post Agree with Post
stayouttadabunker
Senior Full time Member.

Total Karma Storms: 1039

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »

Four words to describe this...okay five lol>>>
Rotten, dirty, stinking, greedy, bastards!

I can easily think of more but I'm in a good mood!  rotflmao
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

The bigger picture is that they are covering up the true amount of inflation in this country (at least in the food industry) since most people only look at price increases.

Look at the change in true cost per unit (by factoring in changes in package size as well as price) to figure out how much food costs have really  increased in the last two to three years.

It's not a pretty picture.

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
channelmaniac
Surface mount soldering geek

Total Karma Storms: 568

Few things are better than fixing an old game...

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 01:44:33 AM »

A couple of months ago they changed the Pringles recipe... Now they are bland and tasteless. We have a can we haven't even finished yet still in the pantry and have stopped buying them.

BLAH!

I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com
knagl

Total Karma Storms: 642

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »

Orange juice is another one where the package is shrinking. I noticed on the last trip to the store that most of the half gallon cartons were no longer a half a gallon - they just looked like they were the same size.

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! Smiley
sirwalt
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »

Maybe we should not buy COKE period  Clap
daddy2yea
Mike
Contributing NLG Member
NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

Total Karma Storms: 34

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

Ritz crackers Are going from 16ozs to 15.1ozs If you check your local store you may see both sizes side by side. They did this by putting in 2 less crackers in each sleeve (8 per box) . 
Mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com    Newlifegames.net    Newlifegames.org
   New Life Games    NewLifeGames  NLG  We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.