Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
* Home Help Arcade Login Register
+ Forum
|-+ General NLG Chat
| |-+ Welcome wagon and General Chat (Off-Topic Post Welcome) (Moderator: Ron (r273))
| | |-+ HARD TIMES... ETERNAL FLAME OR GAS BILL
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HARD TIMES... ETERNAL FLAME OR GAS BILL  (Read 2898 times)
Railroad94
In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

Total Karma Storms: 225

« on: January 11, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »

Eternal flame only lasts until gas bill arrives
Sat Jan 10, 4:57 am ET

BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. – An "eternal" flame at Bullhead City's new veterans memorial park that only lasted until city officials received a $961 gas bill has been re-lit following complaints by veterans groups.

The Medal of Honor Memorial at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Park alongside the Colorado River was lit on Veterans Day in November. When the bill arrived in late December, city officials were stunned.
"It caught us by surprise," City Manager Tim Ernster said Thursday. "What we decided to do for the time being is to turn the flame on ... for special events, for Veterans Day, Fourth of July, Memorial Day — those types of activities."

The flame was extinguished on Monday. The Mohave Valley Daily News published a story Friday quoting city officials and disgruntled veterans who had worked to pay for and build the memorial before turning it over to the city.

The flame was back on by midmorning Friday following a meeting of city officials.
"What happened was really a miscommunication," city spokesman Steve Johnson said. "The issue came up one day and it was never intended to be shut off."

Johnson said the flame is impressive, but city parks officials are looking at ways to put a smaller burner in place and only use the larger one at special events.
"We're looking at alternatives, because $1,000 a month in these economic times is certainly a consideration," Johnson said.
___
Information from: Mohave Valley Daily News, http://www.mohavedailynews.com
StatFreak
rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
Global NLG Site Moderator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 756

Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 2 Couldn't they have designed it with a knob that adjusts the intensity (and the gas consumption) of the unit so they could keep it low most of the time and turn it up for holidays?  Scratch Head 2 Scratch Head 2 

I think someone already invented the concept... I see it everyday when I use my stove... Weird Eyes   rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

I found myself at NLG garfield  ..but got lost again on the way home. Scratch Head 2
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. yes
       Executive member in good standing of Rick's SMAA.                              Ehhh...What's Up Doc?
Joeylc
Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
NLG Site Administrator
Sr.Tech NLG Member 1000+ Post

Total Karma Storms: 287

KG7NLG

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:09:50 PM »

Sunday JANUARY 11, 2009 Last modified:
Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:17 PM CST

Flame on

Compromise re-ignites Veteran's Memorial fire

By NEIL YOUNG/The Daily News

BULLHEAD CITY - City officials quickly reversed course Friday morning and turned the perpetual, or eternal, flame back on at the new Medal of Honor Memorial at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Park.

Now if only the wind will cooperate, it will stay on for a while.

The city had turned off the flame Monday, after receiving a $961.17 bill from Southwest Gas for just one month of service. Bullhead City took over maintenance of the park from the Veterans United organization last July.

Bullhead City Mayor Jack Hakim and Karla Brady, parks, recreation and community services director, met Thursday with John “Mickey” McClure, Veterans United spokesman.

Hakim told McClure the city would make every effort to turn the flame back on within two weeks, after researching ways to save money on the natural gas bill.

“I rushed to judgment in my conversation, saying, ‘Let's wait. Give us two weeks and we'll take care of it,' ” Hakim said Friday. “I erred. I should have just said, ‘Turn it back on.' And that's what I thought afterwards.”

Hakim said he got together with City Manager Tim Ernster after the McClure meeting. “We thought about it, and yes, an eternal flame is an eternal flame and our intentions were to turn it on (Friday).” Hakim said the decision to turn the flame back on was obviously the right thing to do “and it didn't come from pressure.”

“I don't think anyone intended for that flame to be off permanently,” Ernster said. “And, in hindsight, we should have just left the flame on, and then gone ahead and worked this out.”

Saturday morning, though, the flame wasn't lit. More accurately, it wouldn't stay lit as gusting winds played havoc with the automatic ignition system.

In the meantime, the city will decide how best to lower the flame, which will reduce the cost significantly. The flame would be turned up during special events and holidays like Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Veterans Day, Ernster said.

“I'm proud that he re-thought it and decided that's a better avenue to go,” McClure said Friday, “and hopefully now all the veterans groups and everybody else can go happily on their way.”

A Veterans Advisory Council meeting was scheduled for Jan. 22, but city officials decided to move it up one week to 2 p.m. Thursday in the Council chamber, 1255 Marina Blvd. The veterans council consists of area veterans organizations “and the purpose is to sit down together and discuss ways and means to keep the park functioning,” Hakim said.

Ernster said Thursday's meeting will focus on the eternal flame issue with possible “suggestions on maybe how there might be some way to raise funds in the community.”

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:19:38 PM by Joeylc » Logged

"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

If you find this site helpful, Please Consider Making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Newlifegames.com Newlifegames.net Newlifegames.org
New Life Games NewLifeGames NLG We Bring new Life to old Games 1-888-NLG-SLOTS
Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2021

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

NewLifeGames.net Web-Site is optimized for use with Fire-Fox and a minimum screen resolution of 1280x768 pixels.